G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 38 Non Members

Giesel Park Dispersal

Breeding
Thoroly_BreadThoroly_Bread    2,311 posts
edited August 2015 Breeding
Looks like even the wealthy see no value in breeding in WA.

Leading WA Stud to Disperse Next Month

One of Western Australia's leading thoroughbred nurseries will disperse at auction in early September.
Magic Millions will host the Geisel Park Stud Complete Dispersal Sale, comprising approximately 70 lots, on Sunday, September 6 at a venue to be advised.

Located at the historic Myalup Farm site, which was established in 1846, the property was renamed Geisel Park Stud and re-developed by Eddie and Kylie Rigg in 2007. Since then the Rigg family has built the farm to be one of the largest and most successful in the state.

Recently the family decided to downsize their interests in the racing industry and the upcoming dispersal of all their breeding and yearling interests will see a tremendous line up of stock go under the hammer unreserved.

Geisel Park Stud Principal, Eddie Rigg said "My horse racing interests started as a hobby but over the past 10 years has grown to be a sizeable operation. To keep at the forefront of the industry at this size of farm, you need to be hands on, have commercial stallions and have the right people and staff involved. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to commit to the horse operation and have not been able to source the right type of stallion."
"Over the last 10 years Geisel Park has put together a cracking band of broodmares and I wish those people who buy the mares and yearlings all the very best. Geisel Park has produced its most winners ever over the past six months. With the tremendous incentives offered by the Westspeed Incentive Scheme, this represents the ideal time to securing quality WA bred horses."
"I will keeping my racing interests and am looking forward to having fun and attending the races in the future."

Full details of the catalogue and highlights will be provided over the next week.

The catalogue will be available online and copies will be available at the sale, but with time contraints a catalogue will not be posted.

For more information on the Geisel Park Stud Complete Dispersal Sale please contact Magic Millions' Perth Manager David Houston on 0408 609 994.

*** RELEASE ENDS ***

From Magic Millions

Comments

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    I wish Eddie and his team well....downsizing at the moment would have to be better than up-sizing IMO.
  • Thoroly_BreadThoroly_Bread    2,311 posts
    For sure! Should be some nice mares in this lot for anyone in the market.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Agree, and in a buyers market the price may be very attractive.......for anything you choose to buy. Might look at some of the yearlings personally
  • DaleDale    1,346 posts
    at a venue to be advised.....
  • DaleDale    1,346 posts
    so much spin on this. is it written for complete novices? yes some horses will sell but i wouldn't buy a mango off this guy let alone a horse.

Chelsea dislikes this post.

• Blinkers_OnBlinkers_On    157 posts
    It's a good job he isn't selling mangos then dale!
    Eddie Rigg has been and will continue to be one the most passionate in horse racing and breeding in WA. The state and the industry is facing tough times and I think this is a reflection of this.
    Best of luck to Eddie and his team going forward.

lame, Chelsea, Makybedon likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    I think there is more to this than meets the eye.
    didn't eddie recently resign from the committee of PR?
    I think he was chairman in waiting.

Tucool likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    got a feeling.....The state and the industry is facing tough times and I think this is a reflection of this......this is it..

Had a bad year at the sales, cut his loses, pull his head in and be a bit conservative with the numbers for a while.....all IMO

Blinkers_On likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    edited August 2015
    Whats the farm sold that have achieved good results besides express service?
    paraletic said:

Whats the farm sold that have achieved good results besides express service?

Petrol Power? Mr Vadim? Mr Motown?
    Mmmmm decent
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,677 posts
    Petrol Power was from Neville Duncan
    Eddie will be a big loss to the breeding industry, probably what's highlighted the most out of this is the state of WA racing and breeding when you have someone like this that is so passionate about racing pulling the plug!

Chelsea, RIO likes this post.

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Breeding (to sell) is s tough game. He returned a fraction of his outlay at this years yearling sales - so can't blame him there.

But sorry though......what's wrong with "the state of racing" ?
    Even this statement said he's racing on. Just cutting right back on his breeding (to sell) stock.
  • colincolin    103 posts
    Dale, not that I'm buying but what's wrong with dealing with Rigg?
  • lamelame    1,757 posts
    Tivers said:

Breeding (to sell) is s tough game. He returned a fraction of his outlay at this years yearling sales - so can't blame him there.

But sorry though......what's wrong with "the state of racing" ?
    Even this statement said he's racing on. Just cutting right back on his breeding (to sell) stock.

Nothing wrong with the state of racing would be more to do with deflationary economics which funds the hobby and maybe relising the hobby has grown past just being a hobby also reading between the lines good help is hard to find as far as the running of the operation goes

RIO likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Spot on lame...the big dollars to support a great hobby have dried up, proving that this industry struggles to fund itself...in the stock market its called repositioning the market.

and i hope Eddie and all other studs/breeders survive the process....without the bigger players us hobbyist will struggle as well.

theketaminekid likes this post.

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    edited August 2015
    WA is a unique market.
    Here we (quite rightly) race horses economically.
    That is - they pay their way.
    Syd / Mel (where the big $ sales go) are more like UK - owners happy to throw money at them, just on a whim (like buying lotto tickets) in the one in a million chance might get a MC Cup winner etc.
    I'm regularly astounded watching the big syndicator ads on TV from East, and wonder - "who actually buys in to these (very) expensive horses ?"

Was briefly like that here during the boom, and many studs popped up or expanded to service that, and the Asian boom, but the boom is over / was short lived. Breeding operations one of only many business types closing up / winding back in the current climate.
    Fortunately two of the few industries that carry on relatively untouched are : drinking, and gambling - and in turn racing. .

Tucool likes this post.

SPUDLEY said:

After being in the horse business so long Eddie you have learned nothing about horses you have left this sale decision way way too late " NOBODY " with any horse sense would put pregnant mares under stress at this stage of their pregnancy just another rich bloke with NFI

Most likely the sale will be held on the farm. Brood mares in that case will just be doing something slightly more than a walk. Not much harm in that.

SPUDLEY dislikes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    rich?? :-?
  • LeglessLegless    5,108 posts
    :-? maybe he predicts an exodus of owners (buyers) when the new Big Stick threat is introduced on Dec 1
    Its not working for him at the moment. Nothing wrong with putting them to the market imo

RIO, Chelsea likes this post.

Spudley, I would imagine that there will be a plan in place, Eddie and his staff are a professional bunch. I've been to Geisel park on numerous occasions and everything I have been, it's been like a well oiled machine, Brian and his crew are some of the most professional in the game here in WA. I wouldn't think there will be a need for the RSPCA knowing how professional they are. I would also like to point out that it is not unsual for mares and young foals to travel floats, ie covers, vets etc.

Fastmoney, RIO, DamienWyer, Chelsea likes this post.

edited August 2015
    Owners are leaving in droves for various reasons the main one is of course the boom is over and racing horses is a luxury no owners to race the horses no the racing declines if owners where plentiful and willing to spend money the sales would have been better but trainers know now how hard it is to get owners for the horses they buy.

I could tell a few stories but I won't talk out of school.

Blinkers_On, RIO, Chelsea likes this post.

Geisel Park Stud has decided to downsize their breeding interests, and as a result, a number of quality broodmares will be offered for sale on Sunday September 6th at a venue to be announced ( most likely the farm itself).

Recently I assessed 24 of their mares for selected matings in the upcoming season. Eddie Rigg has allowed me to make these suggestions available for public consumption prior to the sale.

So for those mares in foal, they will be given an assessment for the foal they are carrying, and the best three Stallions based here in WA for them to go to this season.

If you are a breeder or stud reading this, there are several stakes winning mares being offered, several stakes producing mares being offered as well. A sprinkling of maiden mares and perhaps a few that will appeal to those looking for an economical entry level breeding to race option.

Look out for those reports as we go a bit further into the week. If you have any questions or would like to talk privately on what is about to be offered, I'm more than happy to pass on my thoughts that I had previously only made to this client.
    broodmares.jpg
    2591 x 910 - 431K
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    if the above was a blind auction, I'd end up with the one on the far left!!!!!

lame likes this post.

SPUDLEY said:

Okay Damien as you know so much about this sale ,
    1. Why is it being held in September when professionally run studfarms de-stock and sell their horses in April or May sales when it is perfectly safe to transport in foal mares as the foal is very small so danger to the foal is limited.
    2. How many mares have already foaled.
    3. What are the foaling dates of the still pregnant mares.
    4. The mares that are due late October or later should hopefully be safe to float but any mare due in September to early October should not leave the farm. So what is Eddie and his so-called professional team going to do in regards to the heavily pregnant mares, will he have vets on site in case of an emergency.

A lot of the information that you ask about is available on the studbook. It certainly is not my job to educate you.

The sale is being held I can only presume, because the decision was made last week and buyers could still get relatively early covers for some of the empty mares. Otherwise a likely date would have been April next year and the reason why the stock is being sold is financial, so the earliest dispersal the better for the Vendor.

Now I'm only presuming this, as not only do I not care for this line of questioning, and the axe you wish to grind, I haven't spoken to anyone at Geisel Park yet, other than Eddie agreeing to publish the breeding analysis done only 10 days ago.

Your calls for RSPCA involvement is not only irresponsible, it is unfounded and embarrassing for those claims to be made about stock that the is perfectly well and healthy. No conditions of sale have been announced, and your lack of first hand knowledge of the stock has led you to make claims that may have a commercial impact on the sale. Another Studmaster messaged me directly in relation to your comments. If I were you, I would exercise some caution.

Blinkers_On, TheFunkster, Tucool, kam, silky, Fastmoney, GaryH, Jordan, RIO, theketaminekid, Chelsea likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,248 posts
    edited August 2015
    How do you know they cant be bought and remain at Eddie's farm until they have foaled down?
    Once they are sold, that would be the responsibiilty of the new owner to move them or not to move them.
    Im sure the agistment facility is available for those who want to remain...
    what if your farm is an hour down the road and your mare is due in November.. is that cruel?
    What if the mare is not carrying this year?
    I dont possibly see how you can make the statements you have above without knowing any of this.
  • darkshinesdarkshines    2,837 posts
    As if you don't have an axe to grind. Poor form.

theketaminekid, TheFunkster, Chelsea likes this post.

• silkysilky    342 posts
    If anyone is thinking about buying from the dispersal sale and needs affordable agistment, we are located 10 minutes drive south from Giesel Park. Send me a message or call me on 0428901261 for more information.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elvira-Park-Horse-Agistment/686195944788748

RIO, TheFunkster, Carlosa likes this post.