In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 20 Non Members

WA Pacing Cup - your thoughts please

Harness & Greyhounds
Who leads, what moves, who wins?

Comments

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,280 posts
    I think Vampiro can cross them from 4 to lead, Jack Farthing to take the sit behind the leader, Mighty Conqueror to the breeze, Chicago Bull to come around at some point to take that role, with Galactic Star in the moving line and To Fast To Serious 3 back the pegs both poised to pounce home fast late.
  • ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,847 posts
    Jack Farthing holds the early key to the speed map. Mighty Conqueror will be trying to cross and
    sit on Vampiro with Galactic Star spearing through from the back row to try and sit on the Bull.

Vultan Tin will also be looking for that spot.

Chicago Bull to be too strong again.

• JayJayJayJay    7,672 posts
    Jack Farthing has shown gate speed at Menangle, leading from 2 out to gate 8 but invariably, almost without exception, hands up. One time he did try and lead, he conked out, so will almost certainly come out and try and get behind Vampiro forcing Conqueror to either push on or wait for Bully to come to the breeze.Too Fast Too Serious is going to be 3 at least , possibly 4 back the pegs. There you go, that assures something completely different happens.

The draw for a contest is about as good as we could hope for and unless they absolutely serve it up, I suspect the gamest little horse in the land will prevail. Lets hope the terraces are populated in a manner deserving of a race being conducted for the 91st time. Wouldn't miss it, my 55th cup.

Thunderstruck likes this post.

• tonytony    2,373 posts
    Radley said this morning 5000 was the limit
    They got that many to watch Mount Eden trial on a Tuesday night 50 years ago

VillageKid, Chariotsonfire likes this post.

• Cant_RefuseCant_Refuse    198 posts
    JayJay said:

They got that many to watch Mount Eden trial on a Tuesday night 50 years ago

Also didn’t have a thing called COVID back then.

The COVID restrictions only allows them to have a crowd capped at 5000 from what I hear
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,906 posts
    Its hard to go past Chicago Bull - it will most likely win or like last week it could get narrowly beaten - but nearly a certainty to win 

But Hall jnr like he did in the Fremantle Cup will control and dictate the race - and basically get the breeze on its ear 

See thats  why ive allways rated Trevor Warwick the best ever and a true champion driver - because if he had driven Shockwave last week ( and im not saying it would have won by doing this ) but their is no chance in hell he would have handed up the breeze to Hall jnr on CB . .And Brown ( who is a pretty strong  willed character ) if he didnt relent and hand up the lead in those circumstances - then the Bull would have been posted 3 wide the trip 

But DeCampo is no Trevor Warwick - end of story

PackedMetalPanda, Rocket_Reign dislikes this post.

Early Markets:
    Bet 365 NSW TAB
    JF 12 12
    MC 12 8
    VT 41 51
    V 21 16
    OR 51 51
    BB 201 151
    CB 1.50 1.65
    PM 17 16
    BP 101 81
    TFTS 12 13
    GS 5.5 6
    CD 201 151

I thought the two overs with NSW TAB may be Chicago Bull and Vultan Tin.

Gilgamesh likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,806 posts
    Marko  T.Warwick performed in era. that is totally different  to now, no-one can take that  away from him,his success- Sports people, have different levels of aggression in the quest for success,and being able to control it is a main ingredient,We see the talents of C.Voak.smart quick thinking driver, his biggest danger is,wrestling with his own level of aggression.

.T.Warwick would be no-different his nature wouldn't allow a easy transformation.,Because his desire for success on all fronts was redline area.------But punting was also so much more the main ingredient back then.

The stakemoney is so good now--The connections of shockwave,would have thought against the bull again, ,we are hoping. if we drive to run second, we still might be able to manufacture a win out it.. But i can assure you if  T,Warwick or even Herve Filion went toe to toe with G.Hall jnr, and kept him three wide both horses would have finished tail-end charlie.

Shockwave hope's of 192k ----Carput    -----the real likely hood his 48k. also gone. With the bleeding attack We all can be thankful he finished and luckley to finish up with 21k. Thought de.campo was a excellent drive.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    From their draws the Bond contingent will have a big say in who settles where and when the moves come. Weight of numbers and the potential to force Jnr to work when he would rather not over the 2900 may be a factor. I am going to enjoy the contest and have a little e/w on Vultan Tin with Shannnon driving just out of interest. I think he will do nothing in the run and may be a forgotten horse. The champ is too short for me... but really....if you discard the Bull you probably should be in Graylands, If he doesn't win though...anything with the right run will.

Markovina likes this post.

My Market to 120% for what it is worth:

Gilgamesh likes this post.

I backed Galactic Star e/w in Freo Cup, paid better than 3/1 the drum....can see it getting a similar run from the gate.....I reckon 8/1 about his right price. Mighty Conqueror might be an improver.
    Sportsbet don't like Mighty Conqueror and quoting $26.

Vultan Tin into $26 best.

Thought Perfect Major even though I have great respect for his ability is short enough at $17 from that draw.
    Mighty Conqueror into $17 with Sportsbet.

Chicago Bull supported with NSW TAB into $1.55

Don't think I will bother with the $71 Bletchley Park from Barrier 9.
    Know a member of the public who rang the WA TAB and reminded them to put up the market for the WA PACING CUP at 1110 this morning. ffs....if you snooze you lose. Feature Race section only had a 2 y/o  at Melton Sat with the odds available at that time.

Chariotsonfire, savethegame, Betonme likes this post.

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    I can understand Marko”s point.
    Everyone accepts Vampiro will probably hold the lead but no one is willing to accept that someone may want to hold the breeze of CB.
    If Galactic Star gets under CB at the start I would be disappointed if he didn’t push forward and hold the breeze. Nothing to do with other stable runners in the field. It puts him ahead of CB who in my opinion is now disadvantaged by the whip rule and based on GCs form in a very winning position.
    Should be a great race good luck to all involved, just hope there is a little bit of controlled aggression by RW given the chance.
    Just watched then a replay of the Fremantle Cup ( and Ritchies call - brilliant and exciting - that guy should be calling Melbourne Cups - hes that good )

Just a few observations from that race 

Jack Farthing - got the plum no 1 draw - and it was a nice run last week -pushed quite wide and hit the line ok - its my tip on an e/w basis 

I see Vampiro leading - now the driver was  nearly unseated on the 1st turn - that wouldnt have helped the horses chances - i think it will  be better for the run - and maybe Greg Bond who is a top notch trainer - might just vary its training just a tad this week - really sharpen it up - to run a real free wheeling type of race ( which its best suited to ) and i can see Brown driving  a slightly different tactical  race - like at the 700 - just go for it - and run a 27.5 sec qtr ( cant win ) but might  just open up the field a bit - so something is pelting home at the end 

But i like Jack Farthing e/w
  • The talk around Vampiro leading I think is off.
    Look at the Freo Cup and there was no way he was going to cross MC.
    I think MC will press to cross the 1 with VT pushing up 3 wide underneath Vamp until it gets the breeze and looks for cover.  Bully I think will sit back in the first lap and evaluate from there.
    IMHO

PackedMetalPanda likes this post.

Ocean Ridge scratched ....
    OJJ in ...
    D Robert’s doing handstands.,
    ACL ....may be too much for him to hand up from 1 in the second of the big ones after doing that in the Freo cup.The handlebars may be down and if so ...good luck getting across anyone.
    It would be seriously against a very established racing pattern of Jack Farting if he didn't hand up....but...that was at Menangle....and they may view things differently. The one time he did lead at Menangle he copped pressure and dropped right out.
    Reckon he will drive to get behind leader so he may hold out MC and then sit on Vampiro.

Markovina likes this post.

Reckon he will drive to get behind leader so he may hold out MC and then sit on Vampiro.

Spot on - you would think they would be the driving instructions if they think they can win the race 

Like " Team Bond " they will be trying to win the race 

However the connections of Jack Farthing might say - look - 2nd prizemoney is a very healthy 72k - so we will boot up at the start -keep the lead - and when the dust settles and Chicago Bull  ambles around - we will hand up the lead to it on a silver plate - and where virtually guarnteed to run 2nd and pocket a very nice  72 thousand 
    Would appear as if Mighty Conqueror is the lead horse going by the comments in the paper this morning.Where does that leave Vampiro? In the breeze with Vultan Tin on his back? And when Chicago Bull comes around, does Vampiro hand up the breeze to him or does CB get posted 3 wide? A lot of scenarios....we will all be wiser after 400m I reckon. Still hard to go against the champ but happy to be each way Galactic late as odds on look rule on must never be broken.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,806 posts
    Just hope M.C. doesn't play creature of habit from his memory bank of his last run. Jack Farthing isn't the cleanest going balanced horse either  by the looks.-- ,Yank Carts he  can also have a say in the  early burn,he has altered the finishing positions in 2 of the last 4 open class races.This scenario you wouldn't want to wear your best undies drawin close.

My two cents worth  with no drama early M.C.to lead Vampiro to breeze , GalaticStar to grab 1x1 on Vampiro.--- Vultan Tin to drop straight back  and grab the back of Galatic Star. 1x2-----.Jack Farthing  leaders back.To fast to serious his back. then russian roulette for rest of the spots. .
    Possible speed maps remind of the 2015 Pacing Cup when David Hercules went huge but had it served up to him by weight of numbers.

Could we see a similar situation unfold in 2020 mark two.

Betonme likes this post.

A memorable cup!!!!!!! ....there more head shakes after that Cup than at a Donald Trump press conference. Herc was absolutely magnificent that night.
    Worth watching again.

All this talk about Mighty Conquest - i know it got checked at the start in the Fremantle Cup - but you can only go on  what you see - but you can only go on what you see - and i thought it was a terrible run - Vultan Tin came from behind it - and actually hit the line good - where as MC in the final 400 did nothing - just went backwards 

I reckon if Vampiro was a serious chance of winning - say a $5 pop in the market - then i think theyd grab hold of the 2 at the start - to make it easier for Vampiro to lead 

The forgotten horse a bit is Perfect Major - the conqueror of the Bull last week - what does Voak do from the awkward gate . My view is if you are drawn wide - you do one of 2 things - you come out hard - thus you have got that all important momentum - and gaps might appear and you might slot in - or you grab hold and snag it right back . But you see in alot of races - their 50/50 - then after about 20-30 metres - they suddenly think - i will go forward and i might sneak in -  but they havent got that momentum and they dont get in

Thus if i was Chris Voak - i would come out hard - and see what eventuates - because if he goes back - CB at some stage will be either in the breeze or leading - and PM is not going to come from behind  it and beat it
  • Rocket_ReignRocket_Reign    844 posts

Just hope M.C. doesn't play creature of habit from his memory bank of his last run. Jack Farthing isn't the cleanest going balanced horse either  by the looks.-- ,Yank Carts he  can also have a say in the  early burn,he has altered the finishing positions in 2 of the last 4 open class races.This scenario you wouldn't want to wear your best undies drawin close.

My two cents worth  with no drama early M.C.to lead Vampiro to breeze , GalaticStar to grab 1x1 on Vampiro.--- Vultan Tin to drop straight back  and grab the back of Galatic Star. 1x2-----.Jack Farthing  leaders back.To fast to serious his back. then russian roulette for rest of the spots. .

Why wouldn’t Vultan Tin want the one one under those circumstances? I know I wouldn’t just be dragging back behind Galactic when there’s an easy one one there

freodockers, PackedMetalPanda likes this post.