Race 10- Zennart

Comments

• rooster321rooster321    186 posts
    All ew
    im Bella jay
    Mighty flying Thomas
    Atlastalone
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,775 posts
    Not related to GP and don't follow trots but flicking channels and noted a clever drive at Echuca yesterday by Steve Cleave driving Total Energy. Anybody else see it or know anything about him.
  • DownbythepalmsDownbythepalms    381 posts
    R1 Kiralin
    R2 Eliseos Falcon
    R3 Heez On Fire
    R4 Tuxedo Tour
    R5 Reuben Brogden
    R6 Earl Or Nothing
    R7 Our Jimmy Johnstone
    R8 Tyler Diamond
    R9 Authorised
    R10 Rycroft
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,739 posts
    Think Northview Punter is worth a gamble at the bigger odds tonight, should get a lovely run through and really like Soho Daytona as a place bet, loves to suck through in behind the speed and Atlastalone should be leading, a FF anchoring Atlastalone winning and Soho Dayrona placing may also be in order.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,677 posts
    Just watched Total Energy/Steve Cleave....smart/lucky but took his chances to win on that saucer from so far back. Took a lot of shortcuts and they all came off. Driver was fined and suspended along with 2 others....stewards report will make for an interesting read.

Gilgamesh said:

Think Northview Punter is worth a gamble at the bigger odds tonight, should get a lovely run through and really like Soho Daytona as a place bet, loves to suck through in behind the speed and Atlastalone should be leading, a FF anchoring Atlastalone winning and Soho Dayrona placing may also be in order.

Every possible [email protected] have won with run it had. Not picking holes in your form, just that I had a good bet @Wagin thinking it was a fair thing. The draw makes him a realistic place hope though.
    Yeah mate no dramas, to be honest I wouldnt really be worried about what form he was in at all unless he had been sitting behind the leader and dropping out, purely backing home on the fact that he is going to get the run he loves and is going ok.

I see the winners of both M0+ races tonight are exempt from Frem Cup ballot. Call them Freo Cup preludes then, rather the boring uninteresting names the races have been given. It will help to drum up some interest in the upcoming features. Lord knows the Freo Cup has lost its relevence now anyhow in its current form. No longer run from a stand, and no longer part of the Grand Circuit, its just become Episode 1(2)of the Pacing Cup. You get the same field, at almost the same distance, on the same track, a week later/earlier. Imagine Victoria changing the Hunter Cup to a mobile and running it a week after the Victoria Cup? Put it back to a stand or take some of the $$$ from it.....or run it a different time of year.

Completely agree, put it back to a stand, make the stand starts actual stand starts and not semi turn semi walk up starts and stop beind so vanilla.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,849 posts
    I may be overly suspicious but why was Clinton Hall so keen to drive away in the back straight and allow Soho Jackman a clear run. Very heavily backed all around Australia with Toretto drifting on all markets but still fighting on strongly to hold Soho Jackman at bay. They may have underestimated Toretto and got that one wrong . Would not have been a good look if Soho Jackman had run down the leader.

JayJay, Gilgamesh likes this post.

Did they start letting them go from further back without telling anyone or something? It was a flashback to the lookslikelightning era where they use to let them go just after the bend so the horses out wide had momentum compered to the horses on the inside so actually had a chance to cross, I haven't seen that much gate speed from out wide for years, I loved it even if it did throw my bet out the window.
    I checked and the release points looked correct. I know that I underestimated the ability of Sensational Gabby and Intrepidation to cross from 7 in their respective races as they are two of the quickest beginners in the state. In Toretto's case it appeared to be more that Clinton Hall was intent on holding Shardons Rocket rather than crossing to the lead and that just eventuated.
    edited January 2015
    Have a look at this for an incident packed race in a field of only five at Gloucester Park.

http://www.harness.org.au/video-replays.cfm and click on Race 10.

Perth Racing may care to note that these replays are up within 10 minutes of the race finishing a GP.

Other country meetings are usually up the next day.
    edited January 2015
    I thought you had your tongue firmly in your cheek when I started watching the replay......the first lap was just like pacework, pretty ordinary pace work ala Cannington trackwork on a Saturday morning educational(33 second quarter!!!!) ....and then the last lap. What on earth happened when the leader headed north??? And then came back to win. A joke of a race really....the two out the back went around and got cheques for being absolutely ordinary. Put the very obvious leaders bias of the track to the test, thats for sure.
    Senational Gabby got the lead so easily from 7  and that was the race. Don't know why  Howson vacated and went 3 wide on Pacific Warrior....it gave Tuxedo a cart into the race but he seems more comfortable leading. That said, Pacific Warrior was a good run and worth following.

Watched Toretto race again....looked a little bit suspect BUT he is pretty good and won on his merits.

Probably another thread but IMO, we desperately need a bigger track...after watching a lot of NZ racing of late, it' is chalk and cheese ...so much more competitive, mid race moves, lead changes, horses coming from behind. When a lead horse can run sub 1.55 at GP, go and buy a drink, the race is all over. A generalistion I know - someone will immediately find a replay of something storming from the back - but the breed has outgrown the track, much as the sentimentalist in me regrets that fact.

SLIPPERGOLDEN likes this post.

No expert and watching as a neutral Gary Hall's regular 'desperate looking' whip action wasn't on show in Toretto's race. Does Soho not respond to that style?
    JayJay said:

Senational Gabby got the lead so easily from 7  and that was the race. Don't know why  Howson vacated and went 3 wide on Pacific Warrior....it gave Tuxedo a cart into the race but he seems more comfortable leading. That said, Pacific Warrior was a good run and worth following.

Watched Toretto race again....looked a little bit suspect BUT he is pretty good and won on his merits.

Probably another thread but IMO, we desperately need a bigger track...after watching a lot of NZ racing of late, it' is chalk and cheese ...so much more competitive, mid race moves, lead changes, horses coming from behind. When a lead horse can run sub 1.55 at GP, go and buy a drink, the race is all over. A generalistion I know - someone will immediately find a replay of something storming from the back - but the breed has outgrown the track, much as the sentimentalist in me regrets that fact.

I dont watch much NZ racing but I actually hate that they hand up so easy, you can be in the lead one minute and 4 back the fence the next.

I agree though it would be nice to see some more action in races. I'm not talking many moons ago or anything but just ten or so years ago there were moves a plenty and horses regularly one going three wide, it just never seems to happen anymore.

In the Toretto race the quickest quarter was from the 800m to the 400m and that was only due to Clint up tempoing, not any pressure being applied, as he had one thing in mind giving the pegs horse a run. Betting trends very rarely lie. Admittedly Toretto firmed on Supertab from $15 but that was a correction to the fixed odds market where it drifted with every TAB and Corporate Bookmaker after opening between $3 and $4.

In the Rycroft race Mark Reed ran the same quarter in 27 purely to beat his main danger Zennart which he was able to do even after running off on the home turn. This tactic left him vulnerable to The Revolution who may have made it interesting if he had not contacted the sulky.
  • G-MacG-Mac    1,573 posts
    I thought it was a good drive on Toretto. When Ima Rocketstar punctured it was inevitable that SJ would get off the fence. By putting the hammer down he took some sting out of SJ and outstayed him. Toretto is enjoying life at the moment. He ran a 1.56 mile rate in a trial on Sunday just gone and his last half was burning the track up. Clearly Clint knew he had a lot of horse left to play with when he pulled the trigger. 

[Deleted User] likes this post.

Have a look at this for an incident packed race in a field of only five at Gloucester Park.

http://www.harness.org.au/video-replays.cfm and click on Race 10.

Perth Racing may care to note that these replays are up within 10 minutes of the race finishing a GP.

Other country meetings are usually up the next day.

Definately an interesting race!
    Matty young nearly lost his voice
    New Zealand racing uncompetitive? Really? Can't agree at all. Horses coming from the back, multiple lead changes, tactical nous versus leader wins just about everything?? Yes, Menangle boring ...perhaps its too big, perhaps lack of depth but they all get a chance. The ideal seems to be tracks around 1000m to 1200m ...Moonee Valley worked well in my opinion and the speed of the horses has outgrown GP.  No matter how competitively you drive, unless you are on a standout, the leader generally wins.
    Yes, MV was tops - produced arguably the very best racing seen in Australia and I am not across the politics of the shift to Melton but few positives from my point of view. Visited the Valley often and never disappointed. Made the trip to Melton a few times...bonus if your car was still there after the meeting, double bonus if it still had wheels on it. and racing seemed colourless. GP is a sensational location and shifting out to the back of beyond would be the death of harness racing. But somehow, we must get a 1000m track and soon. I have heard about the re-cambering of the track and 10 across the front but  when will it happen? And only a temporary band aid solution really - take the plunge and somehow make it bigger.
    edited January 2015

Gilgamesh said:

JayJay said:

The small track at GP, for all its shortfalls, makes for some of the best racing in oz. End of. Menangle...boring.

You are having a laugh surely? The funniest thing I have read this year! GP is for the most part dull and boring and dominated by a handful though one even dominates that handful. The amount of frontrunners that lead all the way in what appear to be uncontested races is unbelievable.  The trots on grass in New Zealand is more exciting
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,281 posts
    edited January 2015
    Heez On Fire & Rycroft's wins on Friday Night were anything but 'dull & boring' Slip! 

SLIPPERGOLDEN likes this post.

Glad someone finally mentioned Heez on fire, was awesome.

http://www.harness.org.au/video-replay.cfm?state=WA&raceCode=GPM02011504

Loved Ritchies call too
    Of course Heez On Fire wasn't dull and boring ...he is a class act and had it all over that lot and won as he should have at 1.40 .....but not many do that at GP.  "Covered them like Black Irish' was the call of the night.
    The old York saucer was anything but dull and boring but it wasn't a fair fight for half the field.....I think its time to go 1000m, that's all.

• The_PenguinThe_Penguin    54 posts

No expert and watching as a neutral Gary Hall's regular 'desperate looking' whip action wasn't on show in Toretto's race. Does Soho not respond to that style?

I heard little Gary's betfair account is looking very healthy.
    How many losing odds-on fav's have we seen lately?
    edited January 2015

Heez On Fire & Rycroft's wins on Friday Night were anything but 'dull & boring' Slip! 

Fair point VK. Those were not boring. It would be great to see more of them

Jay jay makes some valid points re track. I think longer back and home stretches make for better racing.
  • G-MacG-Mac    1,573 posts
    Menangle is boring when the low level races are scheduled there. The long straights leave the poor battlers paddling. I remember being on track for a Bulli meeting that was moved to Menangle while Bulli had some work going on. During the R0-R1 race I had the urge to jump the fence and help push some of them home. Slow horses don't belong on big tracks, they need half mile tracks so they can pinch a lead or use their gate position to full effect. The big tracks expose a horse's abilities and only comes into it's own when the FFA types are racing.

cisco likes this post.

• kittradkittrad    38 posts
    Grats to all the winners here. image