In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 28 Non Members

Belmont Preview, 24th Sep 2016

West Australian Racing
PerthTurfTalkPerthTurfTalk    3,054 posts
edited September 2016 West Australian Racing
R1. Our Town Maiden - Scott Embry

There were a fair few hard luck stories to emerge from last weekend's Saturday maiden with King Louie flying late to grab victory over Dagorlad who was planted three and four deep throughout. Looks as though he will have to contend with a similar run here for claiming apprentice Randy Tan and while he must be respected from a tipping perspective, $3.30 is very short for a horse drawn barrier 12 who went around at 50-1 last start. Argenterre has blinkers added to gear afte a luckless run in the same race, he goes round at 70-1 which is much more my style in these maiden events. Balmont Stunner is another who was luckless in the same race and could have finished in the money with normal luck. Anywhere to Go is the final of my three eachway plays in the opener, after some handy trial form draws a perfect alley for the in-form Pontiff and $14 looks overs.

13. ARGENTERRE - 16. ANYWHERE TO GO - 10. BALMONT STUNNER

Comments

• PerthTurfTalkPerthTurfTalk    3,054 posts
    edited September 2016
    R2. Tabtouch Check In At Belmont Park Maiden - Scott Embry

On track at Northam last Thursday catching up with Sticks McCormack and a few other mates we treated ourselves to a decent chunk of $11 for Zefiro only moments before he was crunched into $4.20 nationwide. Unfortunately for us he missed the kick by three lengths and worked home strongly through the field for fourth and we left our money with the bookies, however, with Paul Harvey in the saddle and a favourable barrier draw I will happily re-invest because I have a bit of time for the Von Costa De Hero gelding. Someday One Day has been dealt bitter barrier blows at his past two, drawn the inside on a rain affected track where you wanted to be wide and then drawn wide on a leader bias day where you wanted to lead. Again has to deal with an awkward gate but is closing in rapidly on a maiden win. Crowder is in a similar boat, capable of reeling off exceptionally quick sectionals late he just needs a little more luck in races and wins one.

5. ZEFIRO - 3. SOMEDAY ONE DAY - 2. CROWDER

SUGGESTED BET - 5. ZEFIRO $25 x $25
    edited September 2016
    R3. Schweppes Plate - Scott Embry

This is really a bracket winning selection with my top 4 selections, not a race I want to be financially invested in but certainly a race I do not want to miss from a betting persepctive. I'll be at Toodyay with a bunch of ripsnorting lads sinking beers and cheering on our world-beating 1850m grinder Masarari but will no doubt have an alarm set to watch this race because it's a cracker. Caipirinha was forced into the roll of pace-maker first-up but can take a sit here and be hard to hold out. Elegant Blast will improve with fitness and as the distances stretch. Cool Knight was an ultra impressive trialler turned debut winner and Speeding Comet looks as though he will lead with ease and is clearly the one to run down. They look the 4 winning chances in an epic early three year old clash.

8. COOL KNIGHT - 10. CAIPIRINHA - 5. ELEGANT BLAST
    edited September 2016
    R4. Hahn Superdry Handicap - Scott Embry

Certainly not a horse of mine but I have taken quite a liking to the 10 year old grey veteran Verdello Blue in the delicious Hahn Superdry 2200m battle. Looks very well weighted carrying only 55.5kg for apprentice Fiona Bell and a lack of exposed speed on paper I really think that Verdello Blue will get the chance to roll forwards, find the front and control. From there he is in his comfort zone and meets Charlestown an incredible 7kg better at the weights from their last start encounter. Go the old Grey. Charlestown has come up very short with Pike jumping aboard, I can not take even money about a stayer - full stop. Dust Me Off continues to run honest races while Military Service could be an improver. Great to see Aaron Mitchell riding at 55kg, very impressive for a young man of his size.

2. VERDELLO BLUE - 4. CHARLESTOWN - 3. DUST ME OFF

SUGGESTED BET - 2. VERDELLO BLUE $10 x $40
    edited September 2016
    R5. Heineken Handicap - Scott Embry

Dance Master was a very impressive winner over 1700m on a rainy day at Belmont Park two starts back before settling last in a race dominated and dictated by All Too Much from the front. Dance Master reeled off an impressive final 600m sectional and meets that galloper 2kg better at the weights, can definitely figure in the finish here. The Forgotten One is a forgotten commodity and seemingly has also forgotten how to win because his run of outs is quickly building. Two starts back behind Falcon Crest was a good thing beaten, held up the entire length of the straight before putting in a lacklustre performance last start. If you can forgive him then he goes close. All Too Much looked to appreciate leading and could easily take up a similar role here.

4. DANCE MASTER - 8. THE FORGOTTEN ONE - 3. ALL TOO MUCH

SUGGESTED BET - 4. DANCE MASTER $50 x $50
    edited September 2016
    R6. The Tabtouch Masters Nov 19 Nov 26 Dec 3 Hcp - Scott Embry

My strong suggestion would be to sit this race out from a punters perspective and play the first leg of the quaddie with extreme caution. I could easily make a case for every single runner in the field apart from potentially Bergantina but even he has a myriad of gear changes which may prove the difference. I would include all 11 in the opening leg of the quaddie and hope for a result. Forever Diamonds is drawn awkwardly and a galloper with both ability and a few issues, Big Caroline is ultra consistent but lacks a killer instinct, Goldbo is one who could definitely improve sharply at odds, Kensington Abbey was a sensational run wide throughout last start and meets Scottish Trader 4kg better for a long necks defeat at Pinjarra, Bayella meets her weakest field in months, Bourbon Dynasty draws the inside and savages the line week to week. Great race.

6. FOREVER DIAMONDS - 4. BIG CAROLINE - 7. GOLDBO
    edited September 2016
    R7. Brava Mento Handicap - Scott Embry

Bomber Bay ran Pretentious Chant to within a short neck last start and is sure to improve off that race. He has always been a galloper who promises a lot and delivers disappointment more often than not. Has a few quirky issues, like missing the kick on occasion but when he puts it all together he can run some very big races. Putting him on top here for Joey Azzopardi who has built a bit of an assoication with the horse over the last three runs, including trials. It isn't very often that big money misses at Belmont Park but many a punter left their cash in the bookies bag with Crusoe last start. He meets Bomber Bay 2kg better and is drawn to get a lovely tow into the race from barrier 1 for Jordy Turner. War God is shooting for an unbelievable four straight wins after once being a 14 start maiden. Paul Harvey rides him over Card Knight which gives an indication.

3. BOMBER BAY - 2. CRUSOE - 1. WAR GOD

SUGGESTED BET - 3. BOMBER BAY $50 x $50
    edited September 2016
    R8. Member Get Member Offer Handicap - Scott Embry

This is another very evenly graded leg of the quaddie at Belmont on Saturday with last start winners Pretentious Chant and Regal Gleam heading the market. Pretentious Chant was my best bet two weeks ago and duly saluted, will need to keep improving to win this because it is stronger than his first-up assignment. Regal Gleam is gunning for four straight wins and boasts the scalp of Chocolate Holic three back before two booming all the way wins. Can find the front again here and prove the one to catch. Spin Da Wheels has finished in the money at his past 5 starts in 72+ grade, drops back to 66+ and gets the services of W.Pike fresh off winning 6 races at Kalgoorlie on Thursday. Discount at your own peril. Recoiled continues to ruin his chances as the barriers open and fingers crossed that Blinkers Off can make a difference because he is talented.

3. PRETENTIOUS CHANT - 4. REGAL GLEAM - 2. SPIN DA WHEELS
    edited September 2016
    R9. Amelia Park Lamb Handicap - Scott Embry

Saker is a noted non-winner having finished the Brides Maid at an incredible 11 of his 20 career starts. Is always a places lock for any multi or all-up but finds it very hard to win races. Dropping back from a mile to 1400m with a month between runs he will settle midfield and charge late. Max Almighty was a little disappointing in the It's It - Lite 'N' In My Veins race last weeekend but should enjoy the step up in distance off the back of an economic run in transit. Flying Roar continues to race well from up on speed. Can lead or box seat from barrier 4 and is a genuine winning chance. Royal Supreme is yet to prove himself at this level after an outstanding 66+ win on a rain affected track was found wanting behind Flying Roar. Can't discount Pike but he's not one I'll be running to the Tab or the Punta que to back. Another toughie to round out an even card. Go wide in the quaddie because there might be a few hidden gems.

5. SAKER - 6. MAX ALMIGHTY - 4. FLYING ROAR
  • TorpedoPuntTorpedoPunt    1,891 posts
    Interesting that Cut Snake is racing here at Belmont, must be going ok or getting him fit for the bush. $126.00 boosted is just crazy odds. Closely related to Madassa and can't let him go around naked at those odds.
  • ChrisChris    5,219 posts
    Just taking a couple of runs to get warm you'd think Torp? Had the Bon-tempelli on last start too.

TorpedoPunt likes this post.

• jumjum    3,512 posts
    edited September 2016

:-O  Why have you not thrown in Wakaha Kid in the first. :))  :))

:-j

RIO likes this post.

• TorpedoPuntTorpedoPunt    1,891 posts
    edited September 2016
    @Chris ha maybe! It's a weak field so you never know. Has won in town before and if you followed him down in Esperance you would be miles in front. Randy knows how to ride him as well has won on him before.
  • bradybrady    1,452 posts
    Had a small speck
    Argenterre last start 
    Just might have to follow up again

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,236 posts
    Here are my plays

Race 2 Crowder $7
    Race 3 Rising Sea $21
    Race 6 Goldbo $51
    Race 8 Regal Gleam $3.20
    Race 9 Saker $7.50

Really like Crowder to break its duck in the maiden race 2. Hally very kind to Rising Sea last start I thought. Regal Gleam leads and wins and its a long wait but Saker my best in the last

Good luck

Chelsea likes this post.

• therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    edited September 2016
    How does the track play today? We probably wont know conclusively for a few races but if it plays fair or even favours run on horses slightly then surely Someday One Day gets its chance in race 2? Nothing against Lucy but the form Pike is in at the moment he could be the difference.
  • dungydungy    9,278 posts

How does the track play today? We probably wont know conclusively for a few races but if it plays fair or even favours run on horses slightly then surely Someday One Day gets its chance in race 2? Nothing against Lucy but the form Pike is in at the moment he could be the difference.

Be careful TRK don't go and upset Col Pearce lol lol

therealkramer likes this post.

• ChelseaChelsea    1,369 posts
    Pretty much the same as Bomber
    Rising Sea
    Regal Gleam
    Saker
    Bomber Bay
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Perhaps add to any multi Pikey winning the Jockey Challenge @$1.20. Looks the goods. But warning has been beaten at $1.02 previously! Look for Pete Knuckey to run the quinella...it's paying a ridiculous skinny $1.30. Been a great bread and butter hoop Knuckey...surprised he never gets much of a wrap.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,949 posts
    its a long wait for my bet of the day...Infathuated in the last....
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    Riders I don't think you can multi JC bets I had no luck this morning trying Pike into Williams
    Yeah it's not as if one is reliant on the other. That's quite restrictive.
  • JellJell    1,201 posts
    Keen on Zefiro EW in the R2 maiden. Was doing it's best work late last start and Paul Harvey taking the ride is a big plus.
  • sonnysonny    1,056 posts
    Hi Hash,Saved your-money...

May be a bit hasty in my last post, Hash..
  • dungydungy    9,278 posts
    Good ride 3 deep with cover and took of when Ponty went around him
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,719 posts
    Put a decent jockey on Celtic Wizard and it wins, S Parnham rode it like it had no chance and thus gave it no chance.

FreoHitman likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    sonny said:

Hi Hash,Saved your-money...

On what lol
    Hash, On your jockey challenge
    Treble and a second for Williams...treble so far for Pike.

sonny, hash likes this post.

Wrong again I am the 2nd worst judge of jockeys