G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 11 Non Members

Belmont Development gets the go ahead

West Australian Racing
TheDivaTheDiva    13,248 posts
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/16451327/belmont-high-rise-towers-get-go-ahead/

Belmont high-rise towers get go-ahead
Yolanda Zaw, The West Australian
Updated March 27, 2013, 2:00 am

The multibillion-dollar Belmont Racecourse redevelopment has been given the green light to build the tallest skyscrapers outside of the Perth central business district.

The WA Planning Commission yesterday lifted its 30-storey height limit at the Burswood peninsula site, saying the limit was unwarranted and unnecessary.

The Perth-based Golden Group plans to build a $3.5 billion mixed-use development that includes eight towers of 38 to 53 storeys.

When the WAPC met earlier this month to consider the project, planners recommended a 30-storey height limit be imposed across the 73.6ha site.

They argued buildings of more than 30 storeys were "untested" outside of central Perth and the development could diminish the prominence of the CBD.

But yesterday, the WAPC statutory planning committee dropped the limit after advice from the City of Perth and the Office of the Government Architect.

Golden Group managing director Andrew Sugiaputra said he was relieved at the decision and excited to start work early next year.

"With the size of project and it being a long-term, we wanted it to be as flexible as possible and the height restrictions wouldn't have allowed that - we're relieved to see them lifted," he said.

"Construction costs in Perth are much more expensive than in the Eastern States so building higher, depending on where you build, will make it better in terms of the viability of the whole project."

The proposed development would feature 4500 dwellings as well as 31,000sqm of retail space and 60,000sqm of office space.In his submission, State Government Architect Steve Woodland said the redevelopment was unlikely to be detrimental to the status of the CBD.

The City of Perth said in its submission it was looking at removing height limits from large parts of central Perth to allow taller developments.

Future Perth chairman Sean Morrison said the decision was a victory for common sense.

"It is scary to think that any company willing to invest hundreds of millions into our city would be held back by the whim of a few planners," the urban planner said.

+1 -1

H-BOMBER, Jordan, Tivers likes this post.

Comments

• wedgewedge    267 posts
    does this mean we have 70 mill revenue coming the way of pr?
  • darkshinesdarkshines    2,837 posts
    Fantastic. Now lets cheer for slow progress, so that by the time the coin flows in Prince Ted and his sycophants are retired, so fresh blood with vision can invest it wisely

RIO likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    A big plot of land down south near where the train line is running!!!!! then gain every other major sport in this state relies on the Government to provide that sort of infrastructure so maybe we should do the same....

hang on...I think that was in the Governments original land swap...so nup, scrub that, bad idea!!!
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,248 posts
    there has been a lot of criticism about selling off the assets to stay afloat and I agree with that, but now it is happening, and PR will have some money, we need someone to run the show and not squander that windfall.
    Somehow the industry needs a turnaround, to be re-invented, much the same way that Australia Post had to do in order to survive (when email and internet took over). It can be done, but it needs a professional to bring it about. I'd be allocating some of that money to contract a gun consultant.
    i agree to some extent diva, but one would suggest that self interest has a lot to do with past 'squandering'
    what makes you think that this will end?

RIO likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    I know they are talking the talk about putting in place a process to ensure the money is not consumed with current bad practices..that is one of the reasons why there has been cost cutting going on at the moment.... to see if they can run without making a lose

The people I have spoken to are really strongly committed to having the operations side of PR running in a manner that it is no longer a financial drain. I also feel that they won’t start spending - well no big spends - until they have that under control..

It is now a matter of seeing if they walk the walk as well... If they can’t get it sorted now they never will, and there is ample proof to confirm that they don’t and haven’t for a long period of time – had the people and expertise to handle it..So a consultant with an over viewing plan to best manage and spend the money is a good starting point.. I’d like them to spend the first $100k on getting this done before wondering off in a lot of self interest areas for those that hold the seats at the moment!!!
    wedge said:

i agree to some extent diva, but one would suggest that self interest has a lot to do with past 'squandering'

the tide is turning wedge....out with the old and in with the new and with the new will come some financial nous, sensibility and business acumen.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    the press release states "construction costs are MUCH higher than the eastern states"
    why is this so? we have facilities to supply materials..bricks, concrete, steel etc. all states have unions....
    i am puzzled...
    the same reason they reckon pizza and a pint at $22 is a bargain in WA..... :-j

TheFunkster, RIO, Chelsea likes this post.

32 bucks for 3 drumsticks and a fistful of corn at the gordon st garage....
    google costs at the squires loft... :bz
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts

the press release states "construction costs are MUCH higher than the eastern states"
    why is this so? we have facilities to supply materials..bricks, concrete, steel etc. all states have unions....
    i am puzzled...

a lot of those materials are imported due to our volumes of use and/or cost of energy to produce.. and the unions have jack to do with that...WA market is so small we are treated like a corner store..We import iron ore and limestone for our clients!!!!
    So if you force them to use local product the construction costs would increase significantly!!!
    The Diva said:

wedge said:

the tide is turning wedge....out with the old and in with the new and with the new will come some financial nous, sensibility and business acumen.

i like the idea. out with the old (breeder) and in with the new (breeder)

stay tuned is all I will say! :)]

RIO likes this post.

i rekon i might know.... B-)
  • RadmanRadman    1,992 posts
    Selling off racings asset is not the best option, but unfortunately there has come a time (due to years of mismanagement) when now it is the only option.

I agree with Diva, full steam ahead with the project. And let's hope the next generation of Committeemen have a little more foresight than the current ones do.
    honestly i am very happy to see the club get this across the line, and i agree with diva re the critisism the club management has endured. big pat on the back fellas!!!

the question i ask is this: will the property development provide a LONG TERM commercial model of racing in this city for years to come?

YES or NO?

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    edited March 2013
    no
  • TucoolTucool    156 posts
    Quit Belmont altogether and turn Lark hill into the next winter track.
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Radman said:

Selling off racings asset is not the best option, but unfortunately there has come a time (due to years of mismanagement) when now it is the only option.

I agree with Diva, full steam ahead with the project. And let's hope the next generation of Committeemen have a little more foresight than the current ones do.

Is it really "selling off the assets" or is it utilising the assets for what they are intended - producing a return one day ?

the alternative is what ?
    Leave it as bare land and realise no value ever ?

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,681 posts
    Peter Bell has the job.

I think the point is that the assets were sold to stem the flow of financial losses.
    Unless something changes to stem that flow....then the money obtained from selling the assets will disappear too.
    something else has to change in the meantime so this opportunity is not squandered. There are only so many assets to sell.

Puntingmad likes this post.

• RadmanRadman    1,992 posts
    The Diva said:

I think the point is that the assets were sold to stem the flow of financial losses.
    Unless something changes to stem that flow....then the money obtained from selling the assets will disappear too.
    something else has to change in the meantime so this opportunity is not squandered. There are only so many assets to sell.

Exactly

RIO, Puntingmad, JustanL likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts

Peter Bell has the job.

as a member who is bombarded with advertising crap from PR regularly i hope your wrong..The members should be the first to know this.......PR...treating members like shit forever
  • PandoraPandora    225 posts

Peter Bell has the job.

To do what?

• Lady_LuckLady_Luck    68 posts
    Peter Bell is hosting the sports show tonight on 6PR 882am if anyone has any questions to ask it is a talk back station so will have to give the answers you want or at least try, 9221 1882 is talk back number if anyone is keen, he is on till 8.
  • motivatedmotivated    334 posts
    edited March 2013

Peter Bell has the job.

You seem pretty confident about that Damien.....pretty reliable source tells me otherwise...not sure his expertise is in building grandstands or apartment buildings...although general intellect and business smarts he could offer no problems, but it's fair to say you would be incorrect on this one Damien.
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,681 posts
    edited March 2013
    motivated said:

Peter Bell has the job.

You seem pretty confident about that Damien.....pretty reliable source tells me otherwise...not sure his expertise is in building grandstands or apartment buildings...although general intellect and business smarts he could offer no problems, but it's fair to say you would be incorrect on this one Damien.
    If that is the case, then I will gladly publish the name of the person who announced the good news to us on Saturday at the races. I'm only surprised that with the resignation of Graham Donovan that it has taken this long to announce his replacement. I can't see what the big deal is. Peter Bell is a nice fellow, if he has got the job, as it was told to me by a committee member, then I am sure he will effect positive change.

I might add that not just one committee member has spoken to me in the past month about generational change, several have.

They seem to think I have some stake in the future of the Club, any thought of that being true was removed a couple of years ago.
  • motivatedmotivated    334 posts
    My mail is that he has been asked on to the commitee but as for "the job" i think not..but do agree they need to affect generational change as you put it, fresh heads with fresh ideas, and involve some younger innovative thinkers~
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    not that there is a list of membership anywhere that i am aware of, but i didn't even know that Belly was a member..And you have to have a qualifying period as a member, before you can nominate to represent the members.

I've only ever seen Belly down stairs, or in one of the function rooms, and have never noticed him wearing a members badge, which we all have to wear at all times to wander around gods waiting room. But that's not to say that he isn't a member.

Whether Belly is good for the members or not (we aren't talking RWWA or an industry body here) is a secondary issue. I hope that the committee has followed due process and consulted in some way or another about this member representative appointment, with the members.

Otherwise i woudl have thought that the position would have been left vacant until the next election..

crossman got vice-chairman after 5 minutes....... :-w