G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 15 Non Members

Who Am I ( Late and Great )

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• VillageKidVillageKid    2,283 posts
    There was a horse he had JJ that was one of the better named horses in my time called Driven To Drink which after a lifetime of betting on the horses and following SDFC seems pretty appropriate! :!!

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,855 posts
    Zaruma? JayJay.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,684 posts
    Great horse wasn't he Chariots....bred to be good and he was. Out of one of Noel Simpsons great producing mares Romantic Express. He was by Dick Adios and was a full brother to Bill Whitfields top liner Express Adios....the "Mayor" of Merredin raced him very successfully for years and stood him at stud. Whitty was a lovely old bloke who did everything to keep trotting alive in the North Eastern Districts...regularly won the Country Derby...Cam Adios, Ramon Adios...both by Express Adios. Another full brother to Zaruma was Russell Robert's Ex Adios who ran 2nd to Steelo in a Pacing Cup. Purchased by John Deane of Pinjarra from Simpson's Karamea Stud...as I recall, he cost a bit, about $7500 as a yearling. Anyway, he was a forward 2 year old ....John was adept at producing forward 2 year olds ala Mr Karamea a little bit later on. He mostly drove Zaruma himself and won the Golden Slipper as a 2 year old and raced through to fast class.....won a Lord Mayors Cup when FRK drove him, a George Booth Memorial, 3rd to Dillons return and Aboukir in a Brennan Cup, beat Young Robbie and Ebony Rock in the 1976 Mt Eden Sprint(Deane drove him), 2nd to the brilliant Lindau horse Typhson in a Tatts Cup, won a heat of the 1975 Pacing Cup beating Paleface Adios, a further 6 FFA's at both GP and Richmond,  and was one of the few horses in those days to crack the $100,000 dollar barrier. Was used sparingly as a stallion...he was a striking looking brown horse but not overly big....and produced 20 winners, the best probably FRK's handy horse Little Nero and the fastest was Zaroro at 1.57.6. He himself retired with a lifetime record of 1.58.5 which was very slick back in the 70's.

Ridersonthestorm33, VillageKid likes this post.

• RexRex    397 posts
    JayJay said:

Great horse wasn't he Chariots....bred to be good and he was. Out of one of Noel Simpsons great producing mares Romantic Express. He was by Dick Adios and was a full brother to Bill Whitfields top liner Express Adios....the "Mayor" of Merredin raced him very successfully for years and stood him at stud. Whitty was a lovely old bloke who did everything to keep trotting alive in the North Eastern Districts...regularly won the Country Derby...Cam Adios, Ramon Adios...both by Express Adios. Another full brother to Zaruma was Russell Robert's Ex Adios who ran 2nd to Steelo in a Pacing Cup. Purchased by John Deane of Pinjarra from Simpson's Karamea Stud...as I recall, he cost a bit, about $7500 as a yearling. Anyway, he was a forward 2 year old ....John was adept at producing forward 2 year olds ala Mr Karamea a little bit later on. He mostly drove Zaruma himself and won the Golden Slipper as a 2 year old and raced through to fast class.....won a Lord Mayors Cup when FRK drove him, a George Booth Memorial, 3rd to Dillons return and Aboukir in a Brennan Cup, beat Young Robbie and Ebony Rock in the 1976 Mt Eden Sprint(Deane drove him), 2nd to the brilliant Lindau horse Typhson in a Tatts Cup, won a heat of the 1975 Pacing Cup beating Paleface Adios, a further 6 FFA's at both GP and Richmond,  and was one of the few horses in those days to crack the $100,000 dollar barrier. Was used sparingly as a stallion...he was a striking looking brown horse but not overly big....and produced 20 winners, the best probably FRK's handy horse Little Nero and the fastest was Zaroro at 1.57.6. He himself retired with a lifetime record of 1.58.5 which was very slick back in the 70's.

Keep them coming JJ, brings back memories from the better years.

VillageKid likes this post.

I haven't got totally complete records.....rely on (fading) memory a fair bit...but more than happy to dig up what I have on the good ol days....keeps me occupied and I enjoy doing it...when I look up old results, it sometimes "prompts" a video replay in my mind........as I hope it does for others. So, happy to respond to requests lol.

Ridersonthestorm33, matt, VillageKid likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,855 posts
    JayJay my query was that Zaruma was mention in the context of Gary Hall Snr and I was assuming you meant Zakara.

Zaruma was definitely a very good horse in his era.
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    JJ when I first started following the game many horses had 'Adios' in their name...they were plentiful still see a few today but not to the same extenct. Where did the 'Adios' line originate from ?
    Chariots, yep, my mistake....I have just re read my typo ....whoops. Anyway, it gave me a reason to blurt on about Zaruma's race record. Of course, I meant Zakara....I will dig up his very substantial record when I get time, it is worth having a look at, he was a ripper.
    edited July 2016
    Riders, Standardbred breeding in Australia is classified under some major "Sire Lines". For example, there is the electioneer Sire line, the Volomite sire line, the George Wilkes line and so on....and from each sire line, there are numerous branches that spring out from the "foundation" line. Adios is a distinct sire line with many branches and has been enormously successful. Adios was an American line by Hal Dale who established such
    successful sire lines through the likes of Adios (sire of Bret Hanover
    and an influence more recently through Abercrombie and Artsplace), Good Time (sire of Best Of All, Columbia George, Race Time) and grandson Meadow Skipper (sire of Albatross, Most Happy Fella etc).  Edgar Tatlow imported one of the first Adios horses to Australia in the form of Meadow Chief sire of the hugely successfull sire (and broodmare sire) Meadow Vance (Delvin Dancer, Gyro, Tara Meadow) and Noel Simpson imported Thor Hanover (sire of Gammalite, Rip Van Winkle) later in the early 1960's. Without going into it too deeply here, Adios's sons and grandsons have had a huge influence (listing some champion offspring in brackets).....Dick Adios as previously mentioned (Adaptor, Zaruma), Toledo Hanover (Pure Steel), Meadow Al (Mr Karamea), Ike Frost (Maoris Idol), Captain Adios (Jay Ar),Morris Eden (Mount Eden),Adios Butler (Our Stretto), Hiarious Way (Hilarious Guest)....the Adios influence lives on in both USA and NZ ...Adios sired world champ Bret Hanover who sired Falcon Seelster who sired Elsu, The Falcon Strike, McArdle etc.  Deep Adios was another Adios import who sired Paleface Adios and Just Too Good. There are far too many branches of the Adios line to mention....Adios Butler, El Patron, Romeo Hanover, Henry T Adios, Abercrombie, Artsplace, Art Major, Modern Art, Sportswriter, Life Sign, and so on  and so on. The Adios influence is incredible. So in a very long winded and hopefully not too confusing simplistic summary of a very complicated thing, a lot of people named their horses to include the Adios moniker.  
    Great work again JJ..Paleface Adios the Apache Cat of Pacing. And of course not all Adios horses would have been elite...some would have run in the old Qualifying Stakes on the card and not progressed much further. But the numerous ones who made it to the top were invariably very good or champions.
    JayJay said:

Zaroro I remember was a pretty handy free for all pacer in the 80s might have been trained down south & Phil Coulson drove him a bit.
    Yes, strong family Zaroro out of George and Iris McAlpines very good brood mare Neloro. Raced and trained by Brian Cross (and later on Wilf Powell) and handled almost all of the time by Phil. Some very handy types in the family.....Fiery Black, Yaralla Star, Rebel Raffi.....all associated as either a driver or a trainer with PC.

VillageKid likes this post.

Yes B.Cross was the trainer i was thinking of.
  • everreadyeverready    282 posts

The Young family have been involved along time then..remember a jockey here David Young..rated him highly. Probably not related. Youngs , Treasures , Groves , Sangallies some trotting stories in those families. Got a feeling David Young the jockey was a mollydooker one of the early excellent whip in the left hand hoops.

David was a very talented jockey not sure he was related gave away riding for years made a successful comback for a year or so some 10 years later n retired again was a left hander sadly passed away some years ago
    ^^ Condolences. Gone too soon. Was a very good hoop with his distinctive wielding of the whip in the left hand. Could get them into the money at odds. Remember him well from junior punting days.