G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 32 Non Members

World Cup Basketball

Sport

Comments

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Rightio, that's a good idea was unaware of that.
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    In to the quarters, undefeated, which has us avoiding a direct clash with USA.
    Czech Republic next start. No pushovers either......
    Was a massive game against France.
    They have some real stars.
    edited September 2019
    And France knock the USA out!!
    Four teams left, Spain, Argentina, France, Australia!

Not much between Spain, France, Australia with Argentina possibly the one that would surprise the most, but there still in it.

USA not in the final four, who'd have thought it..have been one or two signs though. Think they'd always been around the $1.30 to $1.50 mark to win the World Cup with Serbia the only other country under $10, hey there gone too!

Betting wider there'd be a few punters around the world with a real live chance on big odds tickets.

Winsumlosesum likes this post.

Australia - In
    USA - Out !!!
    I know I'm from basketball circles, so of course I'm more aware of it - but despite the lack of media interest in the tournament (other than few brief results announcements on SOME news broadcasts), I can't recall so much social media, text message, banter etc traffic for any other sporting tournament in recent times.
    Not the Ashes, not the football WC.
    Makes me wonder what's going on with the media - just slow to catch on ?
    Credit where credit due - ABC Sport News FINALLY leading with it today.

cisco likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    edited September 2019
    Basketball dropped off the planet in Aus when it moved from 7 to 10 in the late 90s. Clearly the 2nd biggest sport at the time the 10 network destroyed it by having games on at 11pm. Dont ever recall them showing games live. Whereas 7 had all wildcats games live and great commentary with dennis commetti.

i dont think basketball has fully recovered from this poor TV deal and it just hasent penetrated the sporting landscape since (although it has made up a little ground in the last 5 years)
    Ch7 was because Kerry Stokes owned the stadium, the team, and Ch 7.
    Went to crap when he sold the team and demolished the stadium (PEC).
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,256 posts
    I remember as a young lad watching the Friday night bball all the time, loved it!

Was an increased popularity with Friday night AFL a catalyst to its demise, as it seemingly took off around then (late 80s early 90s..)?
  • saxonsaxoffsaxonsaxoff    179 posts
    Yeah I remember watching the alabama slammer do his best work on a friday night crouched around a tiny tv. A lot of schools banned basketball cards as well around that time which I think dropped a bit of interest as well.

H-BOMBER likes this post.

That or MJ retired
    edited September 2019
    Been an intriguing tournament...In an early game Iran (25.5 line underdogs ) led Spain with around 2 mins to go, scores tied with under 2 mins to go...Spain now a chance to be World Champions.

Senegal took it right up to Australia most of the game, and USA lucky to survive some games and now knocked out.

Australia go in 3.5 points line underdogs against Spain and Argentina have a 6.5 headstart with the bookies versus France.
    edited September 2019
    The KODI - ( kiss of death investment )....game total line Spain v Australia is 159.5.....going the over.

An average of 40 points a quarter needed...4 points a minute...it's not that easy, but can be done!

Other game KODI - Taking Argentina with the +6.5 head start against France.
    What was the line on this game ?
    USA getting a pasting.
    Blew it !
    USA were line favourite's before the game hovering between 6.5 and 7.5.
    edited September 2019
    Bearing in mind all line bet's - include overtime - any punter who backed the Boomers with the headstart of +3.5, I mean you'd just cry...going to win or at worse lose by under 4 in normal time...then it's overtime...then in overtime you couldn't lose again...nope still no pay out - then comes double overtime and the +3.5 is blown out of the water.

Game total 160 was heading south - then overtime came to the rescue, and under game total bettor's all lined up to collect were poleaxed!
    Argentina big 6.5 line underdogs - win by 14 points over France, to set up Spain v Argentina Final.

That quinella would've been a minimum of 500/1 before the start of tournament - Dennis Lillee and Rod Marsh odds!

Australia looked home so many times over Spain, in normal time and first overtime - Bogut not happy with ref's and let them know it.
    edited September 2019
    Serbia big underdog winners against Team USA in the "fight" to finish 5th in the series.

The USA had the same interest in finishing 5th as my interest in synchronised swimming.

Whereas Serbia were pumped to knock them off, with the benefit of hindsight underdogs Serbia were a good bet, at the line at least.

The USA as long odds on favourite's never fired a shot, with words like 'disrespect' to Serbia being bandied about.