In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 18 Non Members

Ascot Preview, 1st Feb

West Australian Racing
PerthTurfTalkPerthTurfTalk    3,054 posts
edited January 2014 West Australian Racing
R1. Westspeed 2yo Plate - Chris Nelson

A small field but some very good two year olds in this opening race, as they work towards the Magic Millions in a couple of weeks. Palace Intruder and Silver Speck were both ultra impressive when winning very easily at their first race starts and they may fight this race out here. Both led all the way so its hard to know who will get there today, both probably go forward and attempt to take up the running. In the end the 2.5kgs weight differential favouring Silver Trace sways me towards this filly, she has not put a foot wrong in two trials and that big win on Jan 13th. Minute Man makes his debut this afternoon on the back of a nice trial win last Monday and looks to have above average ability, and another is Rebel King who has been winning his trials by panels of fencing, this is a very good race to start the day, quite a few of these runners look set for prosperous futures on the track. May pay to watch from a punting point of view though, not easy to select a winner with so many good up and comers in this race.

2. SILVER TRACE - 1. PALACE INTRUDER - 5. MINUTE MAN

Comments

• PerthTurfTalkPerthTurfTalk    3,054 posts
    edited January 2014
    R2. Tabtouch.com.au Handicap - Chris Nelson

Crystal Gardens has been most impressive in four starts, winning two and being placed in the other two, that looks outstanding form in what isnt a strong Saturday race at all, in fact seven of the nine runners are still maidens. The rise to 58kgs and the inside draw are the only minor concerns but on exposed race form this looks like another victory for Crystal Gardens, although I would doubt you will receive any fancy prices here. Shanghai Grey is the other winner in the field, coming off a Bunbury maiden victory at his last start, he may chase Crystal Gardens home here. Alyssa ran a nice race last start and meets the topweight 5kgs better off today, but she has struggled to break her maiden status so far, and Sunset Superman has been reasonable in his maiden races and may provide a little value for novelties here.

1. CRYSTAL GARDENS - 2. SHANGHAI GREY - 6. ALYSSA

SUGGESTED BET - 1. CRYSTAL GARDENS $90
    edited January 2014
    R3. Thanks Bush For 15 Years Handicap - Chris Nelson

Not easy here with a pretty even field, I think that Stock Trader is probably the best horse in the field but he is fast becoming known as a non winner, he produced a good run when third to Terkel at his first start for a while, and should improve on that today, but will he get over the line first is the question. I will tip him here but not with a great deal of confidence, however he does look to be a certainty for novelty punters to insert into those bets. One that may be at odds is Miki Two Toes who resumes here, he does have a good record when first up and may give you a sight for your money today, he has changed stables and does have Ben Paterson on board, who rode him to his last victory. Go Ken has been up for a while but continues to race pretty well and looks to have prospects again here, as does Soveriegn Debt who continues to be very consistent in his races. Quokka is another who looks to have a chance in a tough race for punters.

9. STOCK TRADER - 3. MIKI TWO TOES - 1. GO KEN

SUGGESTED BET - 9. STOCK TRADER $20 x $30
    edited January 2014
    R4. Westspeed 3yo Handicap - Chris Nelson

Cut Snake has been most impressive in four starts for the Lindsey Smith stable, but he certainly faces his acid test here today against a couple of well performed Saturday horses. Is he up to the rise in class, well I will say he is and go with him to bring up his fourth win from five attempts. He has certainly risen to the challenge every time so far and looks to be a very good horse on the rise, has Harvey on board and a good barrier draw here also, good pointers to a very forward showing. Mountain Haze won nicely last start and probably sets the pace here carrying only 56kgs, he didnt get run down last start just holding on to beat Ruling Force that day, and certainly looks a major player in this race. Ruling Force must also have hopes on that last start, meets Mountain Haze slightly better on weights also from that last race, and Kheleva looks the other main chance, got a bit far back last start so look for improvement here.

2. CUT SNAKE - 1. MOUNTAIN HAZE - 5. RULING FORCE

SUGGESTED BET - 2. CUT SNAKE $20 x $30
    edited January 2014
    R5. Magic Millions Yearling Sale On 18 February Hcp - Chris Nelson

Another open race with most of these runners having some sort of claims here. On an each way basis will go with the ever consistent Sireeze who continues to race very well, he has been up for a while now but shows no signs of tapering off, he put in another good effort last week when just beaten by Operational and should certainly be in the firing line again today. If he can lob into a good spot he looms as a very good chance here and he does have a slight advantage on weights on most of his main opposition, there is also the Pike factor here. Another that seems to have been racing forever is Sail Maker and he is another going well week after week, he will probably race closer to them than he did last week and the mile seems to be about his pet distance. Global Flirt is always about the place for the Warwick stable, not well drawn but does look to be well placed in a field like this, and Miss Tipsy Topsy hasnt won for a long long time, but has also been running some pretty good races of late.

10. SIREEZE - 3. SAIL MAKER - 2. GLOBAL FLIRT

SUGGESTED BET - 10. SIREEZE $25 x $25
    edited January 2014
    R6. Twitter.com/perthracing Handicap - Chris Nelson

Silver Speck has been well fancied and beaten into second place at his last two starts, but he does appear to be very hard to beat in this race and should return to the winners list today. He has finished first or second at seven of eight starts and has drawn well here, and should be right at peak fitness at his fourth run this campaign, this also doesnt look an overly strong Saturday field, and the rise to 1500 metres here appears to suit him down to the ground, he should be winning this race. Madam Jewel has hit a rich vein of form winning her last two starts, she probably sits just off the pace and may be the main opposition to Silver Speck today. Rantorini should improve on her first up effort for her new stable, but does seem to have trouble finding the winning post in first place, a long run of outs has been the story for this horse, and the stablemate right down the bottom in Go Tiger returns today, he has shown ability in the past and may go well at probable each way odds.

4. SILVER SPECK - 3. MADAM JEWEL - 1. RANTORINI

SUGGESTED BET - 4. SILVER SPECK $60
    edited January 2014
    R7. Happy Birthday Leo Je Gallop Handicap - Chris Nelson

Immunetojudgement has gone from boiled lollies to chocolates at his last two starts, there would be a lot of punters burnt by this horse in trying to get that elusive maiden victory, and now he has come out and won two in a row. A blistering win in a maiden at Bunbury was followed up by another win at the same track, today he comes to Ascot and may start favorite as well. Fair to say this horse has a lot of ability and now he has finally found winning ways we may see the best of him, he has a perfect draw here and looks a big chance to win at his Ascot debut.The last start Pinjarra winner in Leusater may be a good each way price, the addition of Pike to ride helps, and this isnt a strong field at all. Man On The Run blotted his copybook badly last start, he got back that day, very doubtful if that will happen again, he races better on the speed so expect him to be bustled out and race close to or in the lead today, and Hale Boy has been pretty consistent of late, drawn well for Daniel Staeck and may be a very good place chance here.

6. IMMUNETOJUDGEMENT - 13. LEUSATER - 1. MAN ON THE RUN

SUGGESTED BET - 6. IMMUNETOJUDGEMENT $25 x $25
    edited January 2014
    R8. Magic Millions Raceday On 15 February Handicap - Chris Nelson

The well performed Galiletto returns today, he has built up an imposing record with seven wins from fourteen starts and does perform well first up. You can probably forget his last run when pulling up sore and go on his previous efforts which were very good. He is a top horse when at his best so we will back him to come back to his old ways and win first up today. Inok looks to be hard to beat, one thing is for sure, he will lead and boot away on the turn and take some catching, Jerry Noske rides this horse very well and he only carries 55.5kgs today, although he is up in class. Hans Up is another good type resuming here, another that will go very well if near his top, the barrier is a concern and his form tapered off a little at the end of his last campaign, but at his top he will be one of the major players in this final race. Another returning in the Belmont warhorse Spin Da Wheels must also be given a good chance carrying a postage stamp weight, up against older horses but the Belmont form last campaign is hard to ignore.

1. GALILETTO - 7. INOK(NZ) - 8. AMORINO
  • Raff_2000Raff_2000    802 posts
    edited January 2014
    I'm just looking at the gear change sheet, and I don't think I have seen this many gear changes on a horse before for an individual race.

Number 6 in race 3 is Tempestuous Strike and he has front bar plates off, winkers off, pulling bit off, blinkers on and has been gelded after his last start.

It's not very often that you see this many changes at once, but I hope he still puts his best foot forward for Damian Winn and connections tomorrow ;)
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,999 posts

good summation, chris, hope we can get some winners.

have to pay for the melbourne trip somehow...

#:-S
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,273 posts
    Raff_2000 said:

I'm just looking at the gear change sheet, and I don't think I have seen this many gear changes on a horse before for an individual race.

Number 6 in race 3 is Tempestuous Strike and he has front bar plates off, winkers off, pulling bit off, blinkers on and has been gelded after his last start.

It's not very often that you see this many changes at once, but I hope he still puts his best foot forward for Damian Winn and connections tomorrow ;)

Gelded AND Blinkers on first time. Generally a recipe for success $-)
    have a geezer at the trainer, mike.... [-X

sinti likes this post.

• DownbythepalmsDownbythepalms    381 posts
    Spin da wheels $3.20 the place fixed unreal!!should get gun run with no weight, also like Black Heart Bart and silver speck

Sticks, jayson likes this post.

that place divvy is unreal!!
  • ChrisChris    5,247 posts

Author is a mistake, Gary Wright is at the helm

RIO likes this post.

• Raff_2000Raff_2000    802 posts
    edited January 2014

Spin da wheels $3.20 the place fixed unreal!!should get gun run with no weight, also like Black Heart Bart and silver speck

I agree about the weight factor Palm. He was carrying 57 and upwards for a few of his races during his last preparation (albeit against his own age group), and he'll only be carrying 52 kilos after the claim tomorrow.

If he's forward enough he will certainly take some catching, and he'll strip fitter for the run too which is another positive.

I don't mind Galiletto in the same race too. He didn't come back during his last campaign, but it's hard to fault his first up record + his Ascot form to go with it.

He's won with 58 kilo's before, and the change of scenary at the Price stable may well be in his favor too.
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    Chris said:

Author is a mistake, Gary Wright is at the helm

Phew! I better go increase my stakes :P

Chris, RIO likes this post.

have a geezer at the trainer, mike.... [-X

What's wrong with the trainer falc? If its the same one who had it last prep then he done a terrific job with the horse... 25% win & 50% s/r $60,000 from 8 starts! And is unbeaten in two first up attempts...

SLIPPERGOLDEN likes this post.

oops, got him mixed up...fridayitis... :\">
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,248 posts
    and has shocking feet, a massive victory just to get him to the track this preparation. 
    Damian is a very good horseman and I hope the horse can go well for these blokes. Is better than even its 25% win strike rate suggests. 

Raff_2000, SLIPPERGOLDEN likes this post.

• JustanLJustanL    356 posts
    Hans Up.... Turner off, Fish on. Has Turner and Pope gone there own way??.

RIO likes this post.

• sintisinti    109 posts
    Are we talking about Damien Winn worse trainer in world

Nevershowsurprise, SLIPPERGOLDEN, TheDiva dislikes this post.

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,687 posts
    Be nice
  • sintisinti    109 posts
    Nearly everyone can train a good horse but takes a good trainer to train a bad horse
    i could name a few others that could not train wild ivy... :-?
    sinti said:

Are we talking about Damien Winn worse trainer in world

bag away..... trained a few winners have you? 

hash, SLIPPERGOLDEN, squid69 likes this post.

@The Diva how come Amorino is the fav with Punta yet the special (star) is with Hans Up thats quoted 40c longer than Amorino, sorry to ask that here btw just something I noticed earlier when looking into this weeks promo...
  • ICEICE    683 posts
    Just an L said:

Hans Up.... Turner off, Fish on. Has Turner and Pope gone there own way??.

Turner rides more class horses for Mr Webster then the Pope
    =))
  • Bfacey77Bfacey77    580 posts
    1.2.SILVER TRACE
    2.1.CRYSTAL GARDENS
    3.3.MIKI TWO TOES
    4.2.CUT SNAKE
    5.3.SAIL MAKER
    6.4.SILVER SPECK
    7 2.FIRST FLIGHT
    8.14.SPIN DA WHEELS

Paulo8 likes this post.

hash said:

@The Diva how come Amorino is the fav with Punta yet the special (star) is with Hans Up thats quoted 40c longer than Amorino, sorry to ask that here btw just something I noticed earlier when looking into this weeks promo...

fixed Hashie!
  • keymeupkeymeup    185 posts
    1.6.Rebel king
    2.1.Crystal Gardens
    3.8.Sovereign Debt
    4.8.Black Heart Bart B/B
    5.7.Wroughted
    6.13.Thats The Way 
    7.4.Hale Boy
    8.14.Spin Da Wheels