G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 22 Non Members

Time for Richard Bell to have a spell

Harness & Greyhounds
Is it time for someone at RWWA or Tab Radio to tap Richard Bell on the shoulder and say "Mate lift your game or think of a career change?'

He totally f*cked up the first race at Pinj today and I am sick and tired of hearing him mispronounce horses names week after week, even after he has been told the correct way of saying it.

Comments

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited May 2017
    Keeps saying that Chris Lewis has driven a double...didn't he drive the first three winners ? According to official results he has. Definetly drove race 2 and 3 and the results are showing up he drove the first race winner too. It's pretty poor whoever is wrong.
  • 2lifetimewinners2lifetimewinners    508 posts
    ROTS
    I have met the guy quite a few times in my official duties when he was full time in the gallops and he thought the sun shone out of his ass then.

He grates me especially when he calls Mcclinchie. He calls it Mcclinchlee. THERE IS NO EXTRA L IN IT.

Also when he calls a race and during it he just runs through the horses in running order. If your listening to it on the radio you don't know who is on the pegs, who is in the running line, who is 3 deep. He calls it like they are in indian file

Offthebit dislikes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,672 posts
    Hate knocking them but his calls at both Gp and  Bunbury night were awful. Why he has started this "run through the horses" without adding anything caper, I don't know but it is cabbage. And the mispronounciations are becoming more frequent. A little spell in the paddock to freshen up and all will be okay, as he can call very well, but at the moment, he sounds disinterested. Matt Young could take over for a while thanks.
  • TSSTSS    1,401 posts
    Should get Lachlan McInstosh over, best caller ever.
  • OffthebitOffthebit    602 posts
    edited May 2017

ROTS
    I have met the guy quite a few times in my official duties when he was full time in the gallops and he thought the sun shone out of his ass then.

I know richard quite well and while you can say what you like about his recent mistakes, i agree with you on that aspect, i feel the need to correct on his personality. The man has zero ego and is very affable and has been that way for the 20 years i have known him.

thefalcon, tofarkennard likes this post.

• jumjum    3,516 posts
    It is Time For Matt Young to Take over.
    If richard gave it away or was moved on, i would have thought matt mcdermott would have been next in line. Has been doing the hard yards for longer and is a very good caller. The "good bloke factor" is not enough of a reason for matt young to be picked in front of mcdermott.
    Offthebit said:

ROTS

I know richard quite well and while you can say what you like about his recent mistakes, i agree with you on that aspect, i feel the need to correct on his personality. The man has zero ego and is very affable and has been that way for the 20 years i have known him.

OTB

You are more than welcome to have an opinion on his personality but please don't correct me on how I found him to come across. My opinion is not based on 1 or 2 meetings with him its over a long period. I have no doubt you will have a different opinion that me and I respect that 100%. Like most things in the world there are varying opinions on life. There are plenty of people who think in a prick of a person and there is the odd one or 2 who think I'm not a bad bloke. Joys of opinions.

I do agree with you in respect to Matt McDermott. Listening to him on the radio you get a very clear picture of what is happening in a race and he is quite concise and accurate.
  • TSSTSS    1,401 posts
    Where is Matt?

He isn't calling today.
    My main reason for the response was because im not sure why you find the need to get personal. I have had a few cracks at ryan warwicks driving ability on here in the past but have never made it a personal attack on the man. 

You can have a crack at richards mistakes as much as you like but just not sure why you wanted to get personal against him. In saying that yes you can have your opinion about his personality all you like and maybe i shouldn't have corrected you. I just thought was a cheap shot to go the man when you were only talking about his calling ability.

jum likes this post.

My original statement about the sun shining out of his ass was directed at when he is calling.
    Thats not the way i read your original post. But anyway you can say what you like. I just feel the need to stick up for a mate when i think he is being wronged. 
    Draw backs of the online world is that there is that disparity between what is said and how its perceived.

I do applaud you for sticking up for your mate when you feel he has been wronged. A great character trait to have.
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,739 posts
    My take on Richie is that he actually has it in him to be a very very good caller. The problem as I see it from a far is that he loves to try and follow absolutely every race of every code across this great nation. I reckon he could tell you who the best run was at newcastle gallops last saturday or at least he'd try to remember it.

So in doing this his time/focus just isnt there on the local harness industry, what should be his bread and butter. I'm not saying he doesnt enjoy the trots but his mind seems to be going a billion miles an hour because he is trying to cram that much into it, hence he hasnt taken the time to notice that machlinche doesnt have a bloody extra L at the end (that one annoys me too).

Do a bit of yoga/running/swimming Rich, step away from the racing game regularly, focus in on the local harness and he can get back.

savethegame likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    TAB radio need a volunteer to stand beside Richie in the broadcasters box and rap him over the knuckles with a ruler every time he mispronounces a name or just generally mucks up.
    Lately the box would look like an abattoir after race 6 or so.
    Sometimes the crossover radio and tv announcers follow suit and deliberately mispronounce a name to try to go the smother on Richies stuff up hahaha

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,906 posts
    No i have to call bull shiit on this thread

The only issue i ever had with him ( and all racecallers have suffered from it at one stage ) is when you could clearly  tell when he was punting on the races he was calling - and in the last 7-8 weeks - you can tell he isnt betting - and i think hes calls have been very good and entertaining - anyone who says he hasnt got a passion for it- thats absolute nonsense

Bunbury and Pinjarra - enjoyed his calls - i watched the Pinjarra replays last night - i never watch the squaregaiters race - and i didnt watch race 1 - because it was such a terrible race - so i dont know what happened their

I wont pull any punches -  comparing M McDermott  M  Young  D Sheahen to Ritchie - is liking comparing  those local radio footy callers - Clint ( ABC)  Lachie ( triple m) Skeeter ( 6pr ) to Commetti - their miles below Ritchie

Leave Ritchie alone - i think the last 2 months hes back to his brilliant best - hes head and shoulders the no 1 Trots caller -  and i enjoy his calls

Offthebit likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,847 posts
    I agree with most of what you have said Markovina but the errors at Bunbury and Pinjarra were inexcusable and need to be eradicated from his calling.
    The mellifluous R Levitske has all the callers covered in WA in terms of his kit bag ...pleasant knowledgeable passionate and accurate. I am surprised he hasn't been approached from the east.
    Rich has an endearing eccentricity and sense of humour and we can live with his blues.....but for his own sense of pride and the harness products need for professionalism he should do a little more homework to get it right.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,806 posts
    Gilgamesh said:

My take on Richie is that he actually has it in him to be a very very good caller. The problem as I see it from a far is that he loves to try and follow absolutely every race of every code across this great nation. I reckon he could tell you who the best run was at newcastle gallops last saturday or at least he'd try to remember it.

So in doing this his time/focus just isnt there on the local harness industry, what should be his bread and butter. I'm not saying he doesnt enjoy the trots but his mind seems to be going a billion miles an hour because he is trying to cram that much into it, hence he hasnt taken the time to notice that machlinche doesnt have a bloody extra L at the end (that one annoys me too).

Do a bit of yoga/running/swimming Rich, step away from the racing game regularly, focus in on the local harness and he can get back.

Gilga; you have got him in a nutshell exactly how Ritchie rolls working out his Flemington quaddie tomorrow  while his calling a g.p. race; Rare  ability not many callers could even attempt...Great caller how good would he be if you  could lock  him in the box Friday to Friday.

Another favourite a lot callers, divvy readers was a horse called wetumke have heard it called..   we- tum- key , wet-u- mike, wetumee, wet-u- mickey.

R 7 GP tonight......three horses who weren't in the race competed.....Mc Clinchlee.....It Aint Royale....Plartay.

Nup...can't keep accepting this....you have to pay good hard cash to name your horse and some people put a lot of time and effort into those names....the least you can expect is for them to be pronounced correctly.

I tried to let RWWA and Tab Radio know by way of email recently and it seems to have been a waste of time.

Feel for the owners of Mcclinchie as they have to hear it called the wrong name every time it goes around when R Bell Is calling.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    how do you pronounce it..phonetically???
    edited May 2017
    MC CLINCH E
    not  
    MC CLINCH LEE
  • BetonmeBetonme    211 posts
    Ill just add in, Bunbury trots two weekends ago, Johnny Disco won he called him Disco Under Fire the ENTIRE race. Interestingly Mcclinchie was in the same race....maybe its Mcclinchie's fault. ;)

If it came to a vote, for calling GP, id vote Matt Young. 

Gilgamesh, jum likes this post.

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,906 posts

MC CLINCH E
    not  
    MC CLINCH LEE
    Whoopee !

As McEnroe use to scream at the umps - You Cannot Be Serious
    Markovina said:

MC CLINCH E
    not  
    MC CLINCH LEE
    Whoopee !

As McEnroe use to scream at the umps - You Cannot Be Serious

IF that's the attitude you take why bother naming a horse at all, leave it up to the race callers to call them what they want.
    If I owned the horse I would want it called the right name every time.

I'm sure McEnroe would be upset if he was called Jeff.

This is just 1 example of him getting the names wrong. there are many others.
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,739 posts
    Don't want the guy to lose his job or anything near that extreme, just want him to call to the best of his ability.

Richie is a good caller and I enjoy the character he brings, just needs to work with a clear mind and maybe someone to tell him when he has been getting a horses name wrong for months!

curmudgeon likes this post.

• jumjum    3,516 posts
    Richie obviously does not follow PTT <:-P

Gilgamesh, FatCat likes this post.

• dungydungy    9,278 posts

Is it time for someone at RWWA or Tab Radio to tap Richard Bell on the shoulder and say "Mate lift your game or think of a career change?'

He totally f*cked up the first race at Pinj today and I am sick and tired of hearing him mispronounce horses names week after week, even after he has been told the correct way of saying it.
    I like Richie dont listen to a lot of trotts, , but if your calling for Richies head then maybe go listen to D Macualey he is woeful spends more time pumping up his mates studs or horses than getting the call right    has been the worst caller  by a mile not in the same postcode as Stu Shenton and Max Simmons 

Lendmefifty likes this post.