G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 17 Non Members

Cups, Cups, Cups.....When Too Many Ain't Enough.

Harness & Greyhounds
Cups everywhere this weekend...Hunter Cup at beautiful Melton.....yeah...a few promising types going around.....Lord Mayors Cup at GP, a couple of triers....Northam Cup  a very competitive lot.....Albany Cup...might need the mudguards but it's attracted a good field but....but....the Williams Cup on Sunday, 9 races, all the big guns Turvey, DeCampo, Voak.....and can the Cups King Hillbilly Time and Trent "Free" Wheeler make it 5  on end. Always a good day at Williams, will be clocking up the km's this weekend. Sorry Albany, a bloke can't be everywhere.
+1 -1

jum, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

Comments

• jumjum    3,516 posts
    Trent "Free" Wheeler =))  =))  =))

savethegame likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Took me several minutes to work that out...Trent 'Free' Wheeler....but eventually the penny dropped. A little slow on the uptake - and it's not that difficult!
    Chris Alford - The puppet
    Gavin Lang - The iceman
    Trevor Warwick- Tricky
    Fred Kersley- Chooky
    Mick Dittman- The enforcer
    Jim Schrader- Jimmy the Jet
    Jo Azzapardi - Smokin Jo
    Jim Cassidy - Pumper
    Shane Dye - Billy Idol
    Jason Whiting - The Fish
    Paul King - Pe King Duck
    Freedman Brothers - FBI

Any more ?? Should be many!
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,806 posts
    Kenny Rodgers hit --the truckies turned it into you picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel..

Ideas for picking the winners of the 5 cups. hunter ,lord mayors ,northam, Albany, Williams, on 4,3,2,1  basis      ----- plus a bonus 4 for the people that pick the longest priced  cup    winner....

Carry the moniker of cups the winner does for 12 months..on ptt.

• JayJayJayJay    7,672 posts
    H.P "Pinky" Hayes
    Les 'The Rifleman" Marriott
    Harry "The Padre" Miller
    The "Reverend" Jack Flynn
    George "The Baker" James aka Doughy
    Bernie "The Colonel) Cushing
    "Longshot" Les Poyser
    Athol "Apples" Barker
    Lyle "Rocker" Lindau
    Alex "Sparksy" Treasure
    Jeff "Chuck" Berry
    David "The Chief" Butcher
    Maurice "The Magic Man" McKendry
    Val "The Spaniard" Periera
    Frank "Tiger" Moore

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited February 2018
    Noticed The Puppet lately, very rocky in the spider, cajoling his drive to do more.

Les ' The Riffleman' Marriott nick name of course after his lookalike Chuck Connors from the good gritty TV cowboy show - The Riffleman.

Didn't know Periera was 'The Spaniard'.
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,280 posts
    edited February 2018
    Dudley ‘Boof’ Anderson
    Mike ‘Tiger’ Reed
    Mark ‘Cub’ Reed
    Bill ‘The Better Butcher’ Horn
    Rod ‘Rocket’ Chambers
    Rod ‘Rocket’ Kemp
    Nathan ‘Topsy’ Turvey

Manual "Lucky" Kalaf
    Bill "Pop" Johnson
    "Slip"  Kersley...can't remember...either R.G or Keith"..."Wacker" Kersley also rings a bell?
    Arthur "Buck" Jones.

burglar bob Pollock,
     snakes carvvery ? thought he was getting a right royal spray over the fence  one night old Harvey track, maybe got the name wrong think his first name was alan?
    slip, kersley, frvio harper,one of the kersleys called youngen ? jagsy turner,, eliza ;'pinky' finger..

Not forgetting Magic Mal, The Professor and one of the best riders at weight Steven :"Chicken" Arnold.

edited February 2018
    Paul Dyson - think was 'Dodger Dyson'. Rode for the late Colin Hayes at one stage perhaps as an apprentice in SA.
  • OffthebitOffthebit    602 posts
    Paul Harvey......The Pontiff
    William Pike......The Wizard

Lord Mayors Cup - Chicago Bull

Albany Cup - Galactic Star

Hunter Cup - Lazarus

Northam Cup - Zach Maguire

Williams Cup - Rum Delight
    edited February 2018
    Not rapt to back anything off 40 metres but if he steps and gets through the field safely then Zach might take the Northam Cup. Class could tell. Tricky race though.

Galactic Star 5th in the Interdominion Final should also be too classy in the Albany Cup but $1.24 early, that's short enough from the outside back row draw.

Williams Cup back Rum Delight and save on Khun Ratha!
    edited February 2018
    Last week in the Group Two Casey Cup at Melton Lenny The Shark drew one , Chicago Bull tomorrow in the two, Lazarus Hunter Cup in the three and had two in the Interdominion Final, Ultimate Machete drew the one two starts in a row here including Golden Nugget. The other big Group One race at Melton last week just like Lennytheshark, class ex kiwi Golden Goddess also drew the one. Hot favourite Heaven Rocks in the Ballarat Cup - you guessed it barrier one.

It has been an uncanny run lately how well the odds on faves favourites have drawn in big races.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,906 posts
    Got to be careful here - but im only telling a true story - im not insinuating anything - and i dont even follow the gallops

But years ago when in Sydney i use to go to The Doncaster Hotel  not far from Randwick racecourse - it had a very good Pub Tab set up - get a good meal in their - great atmosphere - and a late night close - so on a Sat night - you could watch and bet till the last interstate harness race ( and like anything with any class or atmosphere - today it is a block of expensive units )

Any how i am in their one day - and like i say i dont follow the gallops - but there are punters in there - and their saying - oh maggots is riding this - maggots will do this and maggotts will do that - they were talking about Ron Quinton ( who i thought was a champion  jockey )

Out of curiosity i said to them - why are you all calling him Maggotts - and they said - because he is allways on dead meat
    Another current one - sometimes it's a wreck, then other times it's clickety clack down the track, all systems go..he's known now as the 'controller' your fate is in his hands - yes it's the Voak 'Train'.
    lord mayors cup    CHICAGO BULL
    Albany  cup            MAJOR STARE
    hunter cup             LENNYTHESHARK
    northam cup           MISTASHARK
    Williams cup           HINDU KARMA..          Last in the cup is tea leaves..

theres mine;;;
    edited February 2018
    A horse that never seems to have much luck in the barrier draw for big races is Soho Tribeca, 7s 8s, 9s, and now a 12 all very prominent.

One night he did gather a favourable draw was heat one of the GP Inters , when straight to the front and never in doubt holding off a gallant Lazarus clearly.

Had a look at Major Stare and Hansonwheels for Albany Cup was trying to risk Galactic Star but went back to a few races at Menangle before he came to Perth for the Inters - he won a few of them quite impressively against superior opposition. Overall heat runs in the Inters - very good. Run in final top shelf.

If he had Vulcan Tins run think would have grabbed third and maybe closer...was the surprise packet in the final.
  • sonnysonny    1,079 posts

Les Masters - The rat,

Gavin Duffy- The Duff

Adrian Robinson- Mouse

Steve Schofields= Beaver

Ridersonthestorm33, cisco likes this post.

The beaver schofield broke his arm in a race fall. went out to celebrate when the cast cameoff  **** over head broke the other arm.. liked punting on him in Sydney...

cisco likes this post.

edited February 2018
    Grant 'Puffer' Williams.
    Bart Cummings and Alan Mathews - The Cups Kings.
    Craig 'Pee Wee' Wake.
    Dashing Danny Miller.

And one recall my father talking about - was involved in the incredible three way unison deadheat in the Hotham Handicap - think it was the hoop 'Snozzy' Purtelle. Had the good beak.

One jockey years ago at Toodyay after copping a serve in a time when most of the hoops enjoyed the banter...'that's ok mate, call me anything you want, but don't call me late for breakfast'.
    edited February 2018
    Glen 'The Ant' Davies.
    'Mully' Craig.
    Harry 'Cupa' Coffee.

One driver who is outstanding but not when I'm on - Dexter 'Dunn like a dinner again' b-(
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    edited February 2018
    Allan Huckleberry Mitchell.....had a very good mare Lolly Poppins
    Bill Sleepy Kersley
    Rod Camshaft James
    Bernhardt Big Ben Dutchy...take your pick.... Geersen
    Lyle Rocker Lindau
    Tom Rocker Groves
    Lyle Skippy Porter
    Ion 1stubby Stubei
    Rotten Ron Jaques
    A few assorted older brigade members.

edited February 2018
    JJ did mention Lyle 'Rocker' Lindau recall him quite well but never realised that was his nickname.

An underrated hoop who gave a nickname to because could never get his name down pat...'Sushi Kanushi' the unassuming and unheralded - Takahide Ikenushi. A far better jockey than given credit for.

Bill 'Sleepy' Kersley...he was laid back wasn't he haha.

Hoop Bernie Ryan was another 'Cups King'.
  • sonnysonny    1,079 posts

Alan Denham- Lizard

George Moore= Cotton Fingers

Grant Cooksley - Ice man

edited February 2018
    Gavin Duffy think there was a bit of controversy with his riding style and the irons. Can't recall now how it played out in the finish.

A hoop that struck an absolute purple patch there for awhile - when you get this nickname you know you've earnt it - Gavin 'Group One' Eades.
    edited February 2018
    Just off the horses for a moment - and one of the most frightening nicknames of all...especially if you were facing him on a green wicket..the great West Indian fast bowler Michael 'Whispering Death' Holding.
    Just came me to the greatest nickname was old autumn leaves Australia icon 39 rides 40 falls

south Australian jockey les boots. his wife used to pack his p.j.s before his skully.. the nurses at the
    hospital use to check if les was riding and get a bed ready, remounted one and fell of it again... legend.

riders;;
    Head steward in melb.would not let gavin duffy ride in melb.  it was his belief that he rode to short
    but in his home state qld. he was allowed.
    edited February 2018
    Yes that's right.. remember now.. too short in the irons Gavin Duffy according to head steward in Melbourne and a no no ultimatum given whereas ok by his home state of Queensland...was a massive story at the time when racing journalists would really get there teeth into these sorts of things.