G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 13 Non Members

York abandoned,,,forecast 36°??

West Australian Racing
Really? Is that all it takes these days? I look forward to the seeing carnival meetings at Ascot being called off when the temp hits 36°.

Comments

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,681 posts
    37 in town but maybe as high as 40 out at York
  • tonytony    2,375 posts
    Current York forecast in BOM website is 39 for tomorrow
  • detonatordetonator    4,366 posts
    Don't you also have to take into consideration transportation of the horses to York ?
    Not sure all floats are temperature controlled.
  • TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    edited March 2019
    All ?
    Are any (around here) ?

Was up the valley for lunch yesterday.
    Was oppressive the heat.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    edited March 2019
    Pi55 Poor....So long as they start cancelling city meets when it is 38..Otherwise just another way for RWWA to make sure the bottom end of town cant get a return
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    Adelaide raced on sat....41 I believe...

RIO likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited March 2019
    There's no heat like the Avon Valley heat! And cold too!

York use to be winter course, along with Northam, Toodjay, Beverley.
    Talking about for the small end of town - blimey I'd spend some money and utilise that Toodjay track - not far out of the Metro area - disappointing only one meeting per year.

Guess it is Autunm now - or so they tell me!
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    I reckon this was a commercial decision. Even with full fields York runs (well used to in past seasons) at a raceday loss for RWWA. So you add to that there there may have been a few scratching s for seem travelers and to have half the card with less than full fields would have made it even a bigger disaster.

So in my opinion RWWA did an early call so as to be hero's with trainers......but to screw the owners and the race club.

Yes i know its a wild left of field theory and RWWA would never come up with such a good business decision.....and that is why it is only my opinion. We all know that RWWA have the interests of ALL race clubs at the centre of their business model!!!!! hahaha
    38 degrees Pinjarra today and trots going ahead, must be a tougher breed.
    Does seem strange - one meeting canceled because of heat - another in 38 degrees goes ahead.

Always thought "a horse is a horse of course, unless you're the famous Mr. Ed!"
    What a funny show that was.

RIO likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    And the greyhounds are going ahead also......So its only thoroughbreds that are unable to handle the heat!!! Or is it only thoroughbreds that the animal activists have targeted recently..

Maybe RWWA does have in-depth discussion on the issues, i just wish they'd find a way to get the info to those who are interested.
    edited March 2019
    Try calling them and um why were the races called off ? Then getting it all about health and safety and that's fair enough, but then for all those reasons they give, then ask it was 38 degrees at Pinjarra and they run over a lot further distance.

Does health and safety etc only apply to one code - or the fact the races shouldn't have been called off in the first place ?

One rule for the thorougbred and another rule for the standardbred. There both a horse. You can't have one competing in heat and the other not. Or can you ?

Rio right now temperature in Pinjarra a balmy 35 degrees. A top of 37 there.

RIO likes this post.

• tomtom    76 posts
    Is there any reason why they could not start early like Melbourne did on Saturday featuring a Group 1 or is that just to easy or common sense

RIO likes this post.

1. We don’t have daylight saving - so them bringing their times forward isn’t as generous as it sounds (the first hour is free).
    2. It was steaming by mid morning
    And could add a 3. It was still steaming well in to the night (hence delay also not an option)
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Agree with all of the above Tivers..But if it is an animal welfare situation why did the trots and dogs go ahead????

• ChelseaChelsea    1,369 posts
    The trouble with the heat at York, is there is minimal shade for both horses and patrons.Unlike Pinjarra and Bunbury

Ridersonthestorm33, RIO likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    I live in the central eastern suburbs, the heat was off the scales of tolerability. Could only imagine how hot it was up in the hills.
    Chelsea said:

The trouble with the heat at York, is there is minimal shade for both horses and patrons.Unlike Pinjarra and Bunbury

I was going to suggest that, yes.
    York stalls are in full sunshine - nowhere to hide.
    Haven’t been to Pinjarra trots, but could imagine much more shade / cooler.
    And as for dogs - pretty simple to keep them cool I’d have thought ?

Was steaming yesterday, yes.
    Hottest day of the summer (in how it felt) for mine.
    Certainly the hottest evening following.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• RodentRodent    7,043 posts
    So why schedule York meetings in summer?

Chelsea, RIO, thefalcon likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    The dos are kenneled in air-conditioned kennels...BUT they travel to the track 1-2hrs before the first race (or their race start)which is in the heat of the day..... Horses at the trots had to travel in the heat also.

Don't get me wrong. i was born and raised in York and it can get really hot and stay that way for many hours. I have no problems with them being called off early...but if RWWA are talking it as a Health, safety and welfare of the horse, then it has to be the same for every animal surely??

If not what is the other reason??
    Well if all three codes were run at the same time at the same York venue, then yes... :)
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    hahahahahaha...the decision was based on a forecast temp, not the actual temp. So if it is an animal welfare issue, the temp was actually otter in Perth that day. So Cannington was expected to be hotter than York, and i think someone said that Pinjarra was even hotter than York!!!!!
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    If i get 5 minutes tomorrow i'll ring up RWWA and ask why it was only one code
  • GepettoGepetto    99 posts
    Cannington start time was pushed back by 42 mins to start at 6.42.

RIO likes this post.