G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 8 Non Members

Aaron Rogers in hot water

West Australian Racing
There's a double page story on ex jockey Aaron Rogers in today's paper, sounds like he's in real deep and going to be in it up to his eyeballs. I don't know how to post it on here, maybe someone can.
Along the lines of selling horses when he wasn't permitted to but worse- selling shares in horses that were dead! Allegedly

Comments

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,248 posts

Investors were allegedly sold shares in dead
    racehorses as part of a “scam” that is under investigation by WA Police. The
    transactions, which put a different spin on the meaning of “dead cert”, were
    brought to the attention of Racing and Wagering WA investigators last year.
    RWWA, the controlling authority for racing in the State, has taken action
    against stable foreman Aaron Rogers, as well as notifying police. The West
    Australian is aware that a bunch of novice investors spent about $80,000 on
    shares in racehorses, which were offered to them by Mr Rogers, a former jockey
    who worked at his father’s Karnup stables. It’s alleged no paperwork was lodged
    by Mr Rogers and he wasn’t authorised to sell shares in the animals. The most
    serious allegation is that some of the horses had died, prior to money changing
    hands. Mr Rogers’ father Brian Rogers said his son had a chronic gambling
    addiction at the time and that he was now trying to make amends by making
    repayments to investors. The newspaper understands that investors got paid out
    a share of winnings at the start, which prompted them to invest further. But
    the payments stopped. In one case, investors were elated to make a handsome
    profit on a horse, ironically named Tactical Ploy, but that was just a carrot
    to invest in more horses that were offered by Mr Rogers. RWAA Chief Racing Integrity
    Officer Denis Borovica confirmed this week that Aaron Rogers was notified in
    December 2021 that stewards had opened an inquiry into “allegations regarding
    the ownership registration of several horses and other transactions concerning
    racing.” RWWA chief racing integrity officer Denis Borovica. “Mr Rogers had
    relinquished his licence of stable foreman on 29 November 2021. “Although Mr
    Rogers relinquished his licence prior to the notice of inquiry being issued to
    him, in view of the extent and serious nature of the allegations, the stewards
    directed that all licenses and authorities held by Mr Rogers be suspended and
    no horses which he is listed as an owner be permitted to be nominated for or
    start in an event pending outcome of the inquiry. “Further, in accordance with
    the RWWA Act 2003 and RWWA Rules of Racing, as of 21 December 2021, Mr Rogers
    was excluded and prohibited from entering upon and remaining on any racecourse
    or trial track used for the purposes of racing until the inquiry was completed.
    “The matter continues to be the subject of ongoing investigations at this time
    and therefore RWWA cannot comment further.” A WA Police spokesman said the
    matter is currently under investigation by Joondalup Detectives. It was purely
    an addiction Brian Rogers said his son was currently under treatment for his
    mental health. “There’s a long story to it,” he said. Asked if his son was
    entitled to sell shares in the animals, he replied: “Well, yes and no.” “Aaron
    was working the horses and got 20 per cent,” he said. “And he sold 10 per cent
    but because he didn’t actually own the horses . . . it was a verbal agreement
    between me and the owner. That’s what actually happened. It is a big mix up at
    the moment.” He said he didn’t know anything about the transactions until he
    was called in to see RWWA investigators. “I went in with the wife because they
    naturally thought I was involved,” he said. “I had to take in my bank
    statements to show that nothing had gone into my bank. They said, ‘Did you
    realise Aaron had done it?’ I said ‘No, none of us knew’. We were actually
    shocked. Stablehand Aaron Rogers’ father said his son was currently being
    treated for mental health issues. “It’s a shame (we didn’t know), but in saying
    that these (investors) were bloody idiots too.” Mr Rogers, who denied any dead
    horses were involved, said the money had gone straight on bets. “It was purely
    an addiction,” he said. “He had a massive addiction. “We’re talking big money
    that he was losing. Now the (betting agency) have got a duty of care where they
    should be looking after him saying, ‘How have you been able to get this money
    to keep betting?’ But they didn’t. “I’ve wrote to them three or four times and
    said ‘under duty of care, surely you would investigate this?’ One day, there
    was like $70,000 in the account at 12 o’clock and by three o’clock (it was) all
    gone. And not once did they ever question him. And then when he’d lose it,
    they’d say, would you like a bonus bet of $5000? Mr Rogers’ father, who denied
    any dead horses were involved, said the money had gone straight on bets. Mr
    Rogers’ father, who denied any dead horses were involved, said the money had
    gone straight on bets. Credit: Tim Slater/Kalgoorlie Miner “So all they were
    doing was encouraging him. What I’m trying to do now is try and actually get a
    lawyer to pursue (the betting agency).” Mr Rogers said RWWA wasn’t doing enough
    to educate young people in the industry on the scourge of gambling addiction.
    “RWWA haven’t helped in this situation,” he said. “Aaron was an apprentice
    (jockey) as a kid. We’ve had two or three people actually commit suicide over
    gambling addictions and depression. And RWWA are not doing enough about it.
    “When these kids go through the apprenticeship school, they should be talking
    to them about gambling and god knows what else but they don’t.” Mr Borovica
    said RWWA was keenly aware of the issues of problem gambling in racing and had
    a range of programs to address them. “Training, information and support are
    readily provided to all apprentice jockeys including a strong awareness of the
    rules of racing, which prohibit jockeys from betting on any race in which they
    are riding,” he said. “In addition, the trust accounts of apprentices are
    overseen by RWWA. “The effectiveness of these controls is shown by the overwhelming
    majority of apprentices who forge successful careers in racing whether as a
    jockey or moving on to become trainers or take on other roles. Further, RWWA
    applies responsible wagering practices for all who wager with the WA TAB.”

• RodentRodent    7,043 posts
    Sad story. I've never heard of gambling addiction. I blame the education system for not teaching me about it.

Manchild likes this post.

• thelivingendthelivingend    11 posts
    what a flog, hate hearing it's a mental health problem, no it's a greed and arrogance problem, who did he think he was???  $80,000 worth of horse flesh sold isn't a small mistake it's a long time planned and executed scam, he needs locking up.

Johnny7 likes this post.

• shothrushothru    244 posts
    The least of his problems are The Police or The Stewards. The People who put the money in, had a lot of spare cash, and they arnt people you would wont to upset

Johnny7 likes this post.

• Vincent_vegaVincent_vega    475 posts
    edited June 2022
    shothru said:

The least of his problems are The Police or The Stewards. The People who put the money in, had a lot of spare cash, and they arnt people you would wont to upset

thus highlighting the level of desperation i reckon.

I side with the old man on one thing, why no questions are asked how a chap like this gets 70k into his betting account from nowhere??

The banks need to notify the govt if you deposit more than 10k in a bank account.... is it any different for betting accounts?

freodockers, thefalcon likes this post.

• ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,693 posts

shothru said:

I side with the old man on one thing, why no questions are asked how a chap like this gets 70k into his betting account from nowhere??

The banks need to notify the govt if you deposit more than 10k in a bank account.... is it any different for betting accounts?

Not sticking up for the corps at all but it's per 10k transaction not the overall total..
    At some point questions should be asked idk if this should have red flagged obviously did not.

I think maybe he used to post on here, tipping his old mans (mostly average) horses seemed pretty amped in his posts if it's the same guy.
  • BlacksAFakeBlacksAFake    2,374 posts
    He actually wanted me to buy in last year,thankfully I declined #:-S

shothru said:

Not sticking up for the corps at all but it's per 10k transaction not the overall total..
    At some point questions should be asked idk if this should have red flagged obviously did not.

I think maybe he used to post on here, tipping his old mans (mostly average) horses seemed pretty amped in his posts if it's the same guy.

Yes same guy

Thunderstruck likes this post.

• jumjum    3,516 posts

shothru said:

Yes his name on here said it all.
    Sad story though. But i think he spends some time behind bars 
  • FlandersFlanders    1,210 posts
    jum said:

shothru said:

Yes his name on here said it all.
    Sad story though. But i think he spends some time behind bars 

I was trying to remember his name on her.... can you put me out of my misery Jum?
  • RodentRodent    7,043 posts
    Dodgey94

Yes thats it.

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,681 posts
    Honestly what do people expect?
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    the only bar he'll be behind is the one at his local pub. they'll pull the old sob story of mental anguish, remorse, parental and family support.....
  • Johnny7Johnny7    4 posts
    His old man trying to justify it and say he was only selling horses he had in his stable.. what a load. Ive got messages here from March this year where hes trying to sell 5 and 10% shares in top horses - Gemma's Son and Power of StGeorge. 
    Just own up to being a scumbag, but instead goes for the addiction and mental health card

Desperado likes this post.

U wonder what his new fiancé thinks :-?
  • spinkingspinking    3,748 posts
    How much a share Johnny?
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,258 posts
    Doesnt seem too much accountability here with those involved. Looks like classic redirection by the old man onto the bookies involved. The actual issue is the fraud. I hope the blokes that "invested" get their money back and have learnt a lesson.
    edited June 2022
    spinking said:

How much a share Johnny?

$1350 for 10% share - bargain.  
      :))

spinking, jum likes this post.

• FlandersFlanders    1,210 posts
    How can he be selling shares in horses that David Harrison was training? 
    H-BOMBER said:

Doesnt seem too much accountability here with those involved. Looks like classic redirection by the old man onto the bookies involved. The actual issue is the fraud. I hope the blokes that "invested" get their money back and have learnt a lesson.

Doubtful unless dad is well cashed up..

Flanders said:

How can he be selling shares in horses that David Harrison was training? 

Exactly, happy to forward you the messages / conversation privately

one of the messages he says "Gemma's son he wants 13000 for and 11000 for power" and one of the next messages a little bit after says "Power of stgeorge is all sold and there is 10% left in Gemma's Son"

The conversation from March this year.. 

Guy is just no good at all.. 
  • spinkingspinking    3,748 posts
    Forward me the message Johnny . Make interesting if not hilarious reading . knowing the background

Johnny7 likes this post.

Hang on a sec I've got mail myself, BRB :P
  • bradybrady    1,453 posts
    Why am I not surprised 
    Dodgy by name Dodgy by nature lol

H-BOMBER said:

Doubtful unless dad is well cashed up..

Short answer is No
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,681 posts
    From the WA Police Facebook page

(is this the same matter ?)

Joondalup Detectives have charged a man in relation to the alleged fraudulent selling of racehorses between April and May 2022.
    It is alleged the man offered shares in multiple racehorses, but did not have control of the horses or a licence to do so.
    It is further alleged the man received multiple payments for shares in a number of racehorses, totalling more than $4,900.
    The victim allegedly sent the accused multiple transfer of ownership documents. When they did not receive any correspondence in return the victim reported the matter to police.
    A 27-year-old man from Waikiki has been charged with 9 x Gains Benefit by Fraud.
    He is due to appear in Joondalup Magistrates Court on 12 August 2022.
    Members of the public who have further information in relation to this matter are urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000. Anyone who believes they may be the victim of a similar fraud offence should report the matter to their local police or by calling 131 444.
  • altern8vualtern8vu    242 posts
    in a word damo yes cheers

Joondalup Detectives have charged a man in relation to the alleged fraudulent selling of racehorses between April and May 2022.
    It is alleged the man offered shares in multiple racehorses, but did not have control of the horses or a licence to do so.
    It is further alleged the man received multiple payments for shares in a number of racehorses, totalling more than $4,900.
    The victim allegedly sent the accused multiple transfer of ownership documents. When they did not receive any correspondence in return the victim reported the matter to police.
    A 27-year-old man from Waikiki has been charged with 9 x Gains Benefit by Fraud.
    Members of the public who have further information in relation to this matter are urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000. Anyone who believes they may be the victim of a similar fraud offence should report the matter to their local police or by calling 131 444.

YES
  • thelivingendthelivingend    11 posts

I see the scumbag faced court today, hoping he gets a good behind bars experience. Anyone hear how he went?