G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 21 Non Members

Racing memorabilia.

West Australian Racing

Comments

• everreadyeverready    282 posts
    Northerly was a champion and deserves that label ...but in his best form(and I know he wasn't on the big stage by then just to compare overall ability ) I still think he wouldn't have beat sunline when she won cox plate by near on the straight \:D/
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,248 posts
    I think you might disagree with kramer on makybe diva though if I remember correctly? 
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts

Northerly was a champion and deserves that label ...but in his best form(and I know he wasn't on the big stage by then just to compare overall ability ) I still think he wouldn't have beat sunline when she won cox plate by near on the straight \:D/

That was a bog track so I'm not sure but he beat her fair and square the other three times. She'd never beat Might And Power because she HAD to lead at all costs. He would break her heart  and not even call her in the morning to apologise =(( ;))

paraletic likes this post.

edited February 2016
    The Diva said:

I think you might disagree with kramer on makybe diva though if I remember correctly? 

I could accept Maybe Diva not making that list but three Melbourne Cups, A Cox Plate, BMW, Australian Cup in national record time it's hard to deny her. If she'd won that Caulfield Cup she might never have even contested a third MC whether she was in light or not.
  • SquiddySquiddy    89 posts
    Am I missing something? She raced in 25 group 1's and won 13 of them, was only out of the placings 4 times in 48 starts. Must have been a sh*t load of wet tracks 15 years ago

everready likes this post.

• careycarey    6,369 posts

That was a bog track so I'm not sure but he beat her fair and square the other three times. She'd never beat Might And Power because she HAD to lead at all costs. He would break her heart  and not even call her in the morning to apologise =(( ;))
    correct on both accounts imo.
    bugger me, there is a first for everything!
  • careycarey    6,369 posts
    edited February 2016
    The Diva said:

if you're referring to me diva, i don't have much of an opinion on her, because i was gone from victorian racing, so never took much notice.
    in fact i don't really hold strong opinions on most horses, as they were usually just numbers to me
    i reserve my strong opinions for handicappers mostly! =))
    Squiddy said:

Am I missing something? She raced in 25 group 1's and won 13 of them, was only out of the placings 4 times in 48 starts. Must have been a sh*t load of wet tracks 15 years ago

How many times did they take her on in the lead? I recall Fairway(Beadman) sitting outside her in the Turnbull Stakes and she gave in weakly. More of that and she wouldn't have won anywhere near as many Group 1s at least not over 2000m.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,684 posts
    Agree with the King, Vain was something else Beau Zam gets the "handsome" champ who could run for mine. But getting back to memorabilia, mine tend to be racebooks plus a few other bits, pacing dominated. Got a set of shoes from Steelo, the Interdominion Final Programme from 1967 (Binshaw), signed by the winning trainer/driver. And have the Brisbane Lions Heritage jumper number 3 (Fitzroy Football Cub Maroon and Blue with white FFC logo) and Michael Voss's signature on the logo. Also have Jimmy Schrader's cane whip from a winning drive on Johnny Toledo...he threw it into a flower bed on the way out of the stewards room at the end of the night after copping a suspension he didn't agrre with. I picked it up but wasn't bold enough to ask him to sign it. Have many hundreds of race books going way back and old set of silk colours ....very old...black, pink spots and sleeves.

spinking, thefalcon likes this post.

So if they go mad upfront in a group 1 and something sits off speed and wins its not a worthy winner because the race was run to suit? Fair record for a weak front runner id say. What's the excuse for northerly getting rolled as a $1.30 fav as @jum stated earlier?
  • jumjum    3,517 posts
    edited February 2016

Didn't like Sydney way of racing

:D

just watched the replay  

:-O

What a race

• everreadyeverready    282 posts

Squiddy said:

How many times did they take her on in the lead? I recall Fairway(Beadman) sitting outside her in the Turnbull Stakes and she gave in weakly. More of that and she wouldn't have won anywhere near as many Group 1s at least not over 2000m.
    If I remember they were going to serve it up to her in that cox plate ....dont think any of jocks could describe her ass that day :-\"
    jum said:

just watched the replay  

What a race

Apparently no excuses for champions lol

jum likes this post.

• CPLCPL    632 posts
    A thread on Racing Memrobillia turned into who's got the biggest dick

notapunta, Aussiereds72 likes this post.

Squiddy said:

So if they go mad upfront in a group 1 and something sits off speed and wins its not a worthy winner because the race was run to suit? Fair record for a weak front runner id say. What's the excuse for northerly getting rolled as a $1.30 fav as @jum stated earlier?

What time did they run in that race? I think you will find Patrick Payne was heavily criticised for that ride. Not an excuse but when you break the track record and get beat you can still hold your head high. My point about the mare is she could never take a sit so unless she was left alone in front she couldn't win.
    edited February 2016
    Squiddy said:

jum said:

just watched the replay  

What a race

Apparently no excuses for champions lol
    I was there when he got ambushed in the Ranvet by Republic Lass. He never saw her until it was too late-Boss made his run wide down the middle of the track- and he kicked back on the line. One of the bravest efforts I've seen and proof you can claim glory in defeat. He was THE racehorse above all others and the only one I'd let race for my life. I wouldn't let that mare race for my life insurance premium.
    edited February 2016

Squiddy said:

If I remember they were going to serve it up to her in that cox plate ....dont think any of jocks could describe her ass that day :-\"
    I've never been as confident as I was prior to that 02 Cox Plate. Watching him drop her at the 600m was like watching an episode of Myth Busters :))

everready likes this post.

Squiddy said:

What time did they run in that race? I think you will find Patrick Payne was heavily criticised for that ride. Not an excuse but when you break the track record and get beat you can still hold your head high. My point about the mare is she could never take a sit so unless she was left alone in front she couldn't win.
    2002 all aged stakes sat behind the leader and won by half the straight
  • jumjum    3,517 posts

I am with you on this Kramer. Northerly will always be remembered as a champion.

That will never be doubted

therealkramer likes this post.

jum said:

I am with you on this Kramer. Northerly will always be remembered as a champion.

I agree 100%
    edited February 2016
    jum said:

It's the manner of his wins-and even some of his losses- though. Most horses realise they are beaten when they are headed or at the very least they accept it as their fate. He NEVER laid down in a fight. Ever.

jum likes this post.

• ColourfulRDColourfulRD    480 posts
    But yet every time she met Northerly Childs and McKee declared she had never been better
  • ColourfulRDColourfulRD    480 posts
    Vain my best ever Racehorse. His 3 wins over the Spring Carnival was that of a superhorse
  • FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
    edited February 2016

• octaviusoctavius    2,290 posts
    Secretariat was the greatest horse of all time in my opinion and the Belmont Stakes win the greatest performance in my eyes. I have a $2 unclaimed winning ticket from the Belmont and the racebook.

JustanL, Darkhorse likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Northerly came along at a time when i was just starting to get interested in horse racing. And i loved him! I was studying at uni at the time and my part time job was working at the news kiosk at the train station where we sold race books. A vetran punter came past one day and gave me the nod "Tribula today".... Seeing that Northerly was in the same race i couldnt back her, i backed my favourite. From memory, Tribula won the race at $30/1......... Love costs money is the moral of the story but he was a great champ!