G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 21 Non Members

Here on the big breakfast on TAB radio

West Australian Racing
Now I'm not one to get on here and have cracks at anyone or be negative, but I really feel this program needs a serious freshen up. I have been a long time listener and used to hate missing any of it, now I'm not really fussed either way. I don't think the chemistry from shortte/Ritchie isn't anywhere near that from shortte/wes. It seems like half the time they just waffle on to fill some time and continuously repeat 'here on the big breakfast on tab radio'. I'd love to hear what other people think about the program?

Comments

• RIORIO    14,882 posts

I dropped off 12 months ago Squiddly and have only occasionally listened since. Before that it was a case of the dial being supper glued on 1206 in all my cars.

the waffle is what sent me away and to be honest whenever I turn it back on its still there. And they have a few good segments that were not to be missed, now I don't even recall when they are on. I always enjoyed talk to the owners and I used to like the Friday wrap of the trots, as I don't follow them closely, so it was a good time to catch up on a little bit of info.

So cant comment on how they are going now, except to say I admire you sticking with them this long

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,687 posts
    Working nights these days, I get to listen to a lot of taped interviews on the drive home around 4AM. A sort of 'best of the Big Breakfast' if you would. It's amazing how so many of the Talk to the Owners segments have similar questions, similar phrases, packed with useless trivia, and are directed to the same formula each time.

Nothing is questioned in a hard way. When something is out there to be asked, it doesn't get asked. In the sugar coated world that Racing Radio broadcast in, nothing tastes sweeter than WA Racing.

I agree that Wes Cameron did lend a bit more of an edge to the show, but even Wes didn't swim upstream when it came to potentially damaging the product.

sonny likes this post.

• loose_gooseloose_goose    2,069 posts

Working nights these days, I get to listen to a lot of taped interviews on the drive home around 4AM. A sort of 'best of the Big Breakfast' if you would. It's amazing how so many of the Talk to the Owners segments have similar questions, similar phrases, packed with useless trivia, and are directed to the same formula each time.

Nothing is questioned in a hard way. When something is out there to be asked, it doesn't get asked. In the sugar coated world that Racing Radio broadcast in, nothing tastes sweeter than WA Racing.

I agree that Wes Cameron did lend a bit more of an edge to the show, but even Wes didn't swim upstream when it came to potentially damaging the product.

I have been listening to the same, and agree a bit, but there is just only so many questions that you can ask an Owner, a trainer etc that it sounds to be in a loop.  Not a big fan of the dynamic, and Richie tends to asks questions with an opinion a lot. In particular he told a trainer how bad his horse went the other day, and when the trainer came up with legitimate excuse for the run, you could tell with his answer he was not happy with the the way the question was framed
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited April 2016
    Can you remember when listeners were allowed to ring through and ask questions , vent their complaints etc..give praise whatever it might be. The praise was fine but the questions occasionally got a little too difficult and talkback was soon banned.
  • DaleDale    1,346 posts
    agree with all points raised here. its just not the same, it does seem to centre around Wes. There was usually a comment about women/ girlfriends or the like thrown in here or there that made me laugh. usually because it was something you would hear in 1977. The interview with Lindsay smith a few years ago at kal has got to be one of the funniest things i have ever heard anywhere.

RIO likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Its the same thing day in day out. "Youre riding horse x, how do you think it will go". They seem to just go thru cris and ask questions about the rides booked. Talk to the owners should be on more than once a week. And they need to steer into some topics that stir the pot, not steer clear like they usually do. I have dropped off, too much AFL talk for me, they recap on Monday, talk with nitchski about it on wednesday, go thru prices another day and do brad hardey on Thursday. Also craig nitchski has to be the most negative bloke i have ever heard in my life!! If you are on the verge of wanting to end it just tune in on wednesday morning. You will drive off the narrows bridge and be happy you did.

Ferris273 likes this post.

• tonytony    2,381 posts
    I am another who used to listen pretty well every day but cannot take it much these days.

Shortte has become unbearable to me. He considers himself an expert in everything.

I happened to listen to a very brief segment earlier this week to hear him tell Greg Hooper that he did a great job by having the field in the second leg of the quaddie which saluted at $22 or so. Pity he had bombed out in the third leg.
  • FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
    edited April 2016
    tony said:

I happened to listen to a very brief segment earlier this week to hear him tell Greg Hooper that he did a great job by having the field in the second leg of the quaddie which saluted at $22 or so. Pity he had bombed out in the third leg.

Missing the 3rd leg was mentioned as well.
  • psychopsycho    660 posts
    Paraletic you want to drive off a bridge wait until Steve Wolfe comes on and I will join you and drive off a bridge together

paraletic, RIO likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Hahaaha thelma and louise style i like it!
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Like Brad Hardie he's good value even though his multis have cost me many $$$. The only time don't put it on up she comes! Tonight's multi he started off with both teams to kick 80 points. G.o.n.e. In saying that he only needs to get a few a season and their is profit to be made. Think last year he got none! Good judge in other ways though.
  • SLIPPERGOLDENSLIPPERGOLDEN    7,786 posts
    edited April 2016

Like Brad Hardie he's good value even though his multis have cost me many $$

You are a brave man following Brad Hardie

FreoHitman, hash likes this post.

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,248 posts
    i cant remember if it was brad hardie AND Kim Hagdorn last year, or just the latter... 
    but their words "Hawthorn are gone" after about round 3 or 4 of the season. 
    terrific judges! 
    :-@
  • dungydungy    9,278 posts
    tony said:

I am another who used to listen pretty well every day but cannot take it much these days.

Shortte has become unbearable to me. He considers himself an expert in everything.

110% spot on I Gave up listening a long time ago as did serveral mates of mine Shortte just doesnt cut it he has the worst voice for radio ive ever herd but he likes it  they never use to ask hard questions Shortte just agrees with all  its Z grade radio nothing wrong with being upbeat but he is an out and out brown nose  i quite  like Ritchie Bell he is down to earth and a good bloke the show is just terrible simple as that 
    psycho said:

Paraletic you want to drive off a bridge wait until Steve Wolfe comes on and I will join you and drive off a bridge together

lo lol lol lol 
    tony said:

What about when  Dean Lester is on  he throws out a 1.70 shot and Shortte goes on about it for ages like it  was a 20-1 pop its sick bucket material 
  • rustyhrustyh    2,266 posts
    :)]
    I left when Goss left.
    [-(
    Not a huge footy fan but for me Hardie and Langdon are a good combination on radio.

rustyh, Rex likes this post.

The Diva said:

i cant remember if it was brad hardie AND Kim Hagdorn last year, or just the latter... 

but their words "Hawthorn are gone" after about round 3 or 4 of the season. 
    terrific judges! 
    :-@
    Hagdorn is a KNOB 

RIO, oldhendo, TheFunkster likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    bring back big Goss then
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    hash said:

bring back big Goss then

he's on 1080am and if what he does there is who e is now...DONT bring him back!!! Very commercial now, nothing like what he was way back when he was on RR
  • LuckyLongshotsLuckyLongshots    4,270 posts
    I listed to RR on my short daily commute, but it does get very monotonous - same guests, same questions, same answers everyday.
  • FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
    edited May 2016
    Not sure what people are looking for.

RR and the Big Breakfast are used to promote racing and punting in WA.

Certain presenters may not appeal to everyone but I`m tipping that if the TAB is sold and the Big Breakfast is gone, it will be missed.
  • everreadyeverready    282 posts
    Bring back J K Watts =))
  • LeglessLegless    5,108 posts

Bring back J K Watts =))

with Yorkie !! <:-P
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,999 posts
    i'm good mates with yorkie..he's going well...
  • bradybrady    1,455 posts
    I've switched to 91.3 FM
    With Adam McGrath
    Really good AFL content
    With some racing

TheFunkster likes this post.

edited May 2016

i'm good mates with yorkie..he's going well...

Making quite a few dollars as a marriage celebrant. Is he doing anything else Falcon? He has no need to get photos developed these days. He can print his own. :-B What is Cheryl Rixon doing these days?

RIO likes this post.

• SquiddySquiddy    89 posts
    Fastmoney said:

Not sure what people are looking for.

RR and the Big Breakfast are used to promote racing and punting in WA.

Certain presenters may not appeal to everyone but I`m tipping that if the TAB is sold and the Big Breakfast is gone, it will be missed.

I agree i would certainly miss parts of the show, was just making the point that I think it used to be so much better and maybe with a few adjustments it could get back to that. Not bagging anyone in particular just my opinion
  • buffybuffy    273 posts
    Cheryl RIXON. Now your talking. Makes my tongue go stiff just thinking bout her.

RIO likes this post.