In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 14 Non Members

'Racetrack' Magazine closes their doors

East Coast Racing

Comments

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,677 posts
    That didn't paste.........

Anyway the magazine has ceased production with it's latest issue.
  • careycarey    6,369 posts
    i am amazed to read that it has just shut down recently
    i thought it had finished publication a zillion years ago.

i bought it religiously every month in the long ago.
    but then i realised that the only person that was going to teach me how to win at racing was the guy i see every morning in the mirror.
    by learning every thing he could about the subject, and those things were not going to be learned from glossy pictures, and arnold rogers monthly systems or the racetrack ratings!

• AquanitaAquanita    566 posts
    Racetrack commenced in 1964 and evolved from "Sports Novels" which started publication in 1946.

Has gone the way of The Sporting Globe, Turf Monthly, Practical Punting Monthly and many others overtaken by the digital era.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,739 posts
    I loved practical punting for a read.

Ridersonthestorm33, oldhendo likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    Many a lunchtime hour was spent in a city newsagent reading all the above publications with fervour. Newsagents must so dislike that. Don't blame them either. A bad habit that fortunately got out of. All interesting reads in their own way, some a little expensive though.

hash likes this post.

• careycarey    6,369 posts
    Aquanita said:

Racetrack commenced in 1964 and evolved from "Sports Novels" which started publication in 1946.

Has gone the way of The Sporting Globe, Turf Monthly, Practical Punting Monthly and many others overtaken by the digital era.

sporting globe was very good from memory.
    studying the pictures were valuable( 3 different points of the race if my memory is correct), before the vcr's were available

practical punting was a rag of the highest magnitude.
    when my name was mentioned in it a long long time ago, i told blackwell that my permission should have been sought, to write about me.
    he reply was that i should have been proud to have been written about.
    typical dimwit.
    why would any body want to be associated with a rag that every month would release the latest and greatest?
    sorry gilgamesh! :)>-

think arnold rogers may have been turf monthly rather than racetrack now that i think about it.

edited August 2016
    Sporting Globe had some great scribes..Rollo Roylance and Shane Templeton two that come to mind. Very good track work section from the various nom de plumes. Had pink pages on the front and back from memory.
  • GilgameshGilgamesh    4,739 posts
    carey said:

Aquanita said:

sporting globe was very good from memory.
    studying the pictures were valuable( 3 different points of the race if my memory is correct), before the vcr's were available

practical punting was a rag of the highest magnitude.
    when my name was mentioned in it a long long time ago, i told blackwell that my permission should have been sought, to write about me.
    he reply was that i should have been proud to have been written about.
    typical dimwit.
    why would any body want to be associated with a rag that every month would release the latest and greatest?
    sorry gilgamesh! :)>-

think arnold rogers may have been turf monthly rather than racetrack now that i think about it.

All good Carey i'm definitely not a systems man, was more in it it for the yarns. Costa Rolph was it?? Something like that anyhow, I enjoyed what he would write about a day on the punt.

I'm very much in your corner in that you have to workout how to win for yourself after all what works for you may not work for me and vice versa.
  • bookieloverbookielover    2,623 posts

Sporting Globe had some great scribes..Rollo Roylance and Shane Templeton two that come to mind. Very good track work section from the various nom de plumes. Had pink pages on the front and back from memory.

Was very good friends with Rollo, Riders. He could write a good article, but was a hopeless punter.
    As for Shane, well, I can't say what I would like to except once bitten, twice shy.
    :-S

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

During the 90s Shane Templeton came on Racing Radio via the eastern states line...he was very good , liked listening to him and he wasn't everybody's cup of tea on TVN but thought he did it well.
  • WyongiWyongi    152 posts
    Bookielover,
    "Column" Templeton was not known by that name because of his journalist ability,no doubt you probably know the reason for that 'nick'.
  • bookieloverbookielover    2,623 posts
    Wyongi said:

Bookielover,
    "Column" Templeton was not known by that name because of his journalist ability,no doubt you probably know the reason for that 'nick'.
    Yep, and as I said, the less said the better :-\"