In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 11 Non Members

Guineas, Railway, Winterbottom and Kingston Town weights

West Australian Racing

Comments

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    edited November 2016
    I thought it was a great race and a great day. The horse that won may not become a champion of champions (LS on radio said he isnt up to the level of Old Comrade) but the horse won fair and square and it can only beat who fronts up on race day. The connections must be wrapped. I wish i owned one with half its ability.
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited November 2016
    Love the Railway...long live the Railway. Will say one thing though...maybeeeeee we could move back to a more traditional Christmas Carnival ? Melbourne has spring , Sydney autumn , Brisbane winter...what about us having these wonderful races closer to Christmas and leading into the Perth Cup. Run the Railway..Derby..Karrakatta..Kingston Town..Winterbottom all over the Christmas period. 3 weeks extravaganza. A true Summer carnival. Just putting it out there.

Chelsea, spinking, Rodent, Offthebit, thefalcon likes this post.

• YankeeYankee    299 posts
    Kingstown should be fun to watch sportsbet have 70 plus going around, wide draw would be a killer start about belmont forum shopping centre!
    The 1800 metre start use to be a shocker for those drawn wide too..don't think it's quite as awkward now, but would still like to draw inside seven.
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    edited November 2016
    @Ridersonthestorm33 I still think the 1800m is a nightmare for backmarkers. The wide draw probs cost Disposition the race because the advantage of the light weight was negated somewhat by the early effort required to take up a forward position. If you can find the front or close to it without using too much gas you've done half the job already. It's even the case over the mile. I know Good Project drew wide but Williams caught them napping when there was zero early pressure in the Railway last year. Luckygray and  Elite Belle both drew wide, but they're backmarkers, so it's almost irrelevant-but they both got speed upfront and it helped their chances without question. I don't think Mackintosh's cause was helped on Saturday and neither was Ellicazoom in the Guineas. If she drew a gate she would have won.
    edited November 2016
    I would take it further than that- If you look at Luckygray's runs in the KT in 2012 & 2013. After a brave 2nd to Mr Moet in the Railway he drew barrier 4 in the KT in 2012. He settled midfield, one off the fence and won as he liked. In the 2013 Railway he lumped 58kg to win in what was easily his best career performance. He drew barrier 7 of 11, went back caught some early interference and ran out of time to catch the 3yo Ihtsahymn who was on pace and getting a 7kg pull in the weights.
    edited November 2016

@Ridersonthestorm33 I still think the 1800m is a nightmare for backmarkers. The wide draw probs cost Disposition the race because the advantage of the light weight was negated somewhat by the early effort required to take up a forward position. If you can find the front or close to it without using too much gas you've done half the job already. It's even the case over the mile. I know Good Project drew wide but Williams caught them napping when there was zero early pressure in the Railway last year. Luckygray and  Elite Belle both drew wide, but they're backmarkers, so it's almost irrelevant-but they both got speed upfront and it helped their chances without question. I don't think Mackintosh's cause was helped on Saturday and neither was Ellicazoom in the Guineas. If she drew a gate she would have won.

*edit Ellicazoom actually drew gate 6 but she did have to be used up early to take a prominent position.
    edited November 2016
    Fair enough. Like wide barriers on heavy tracks only! Can recall years ago going to Victoria Park racecourse in SA before the days of Sky...they would have one or two straight races of up to about 20 starters...wet days on a heavy track the going on the inside was diabolical..out wide could be six lengths better..had to be on track to see the difference..punters in tab land not so well informed and a lot of value was there on the horses drawn out wide. About the only time I won.
    Noticed Kawi hitting the line full of running and not much clear room over the concluding stages. Travelled well in the run just held up at a vital stage. Tradesman not disgraced either good effort.

Jordan, Chelsea, Chris likes this post.

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    edited November 2016
    And it was a great day, with a great crowd, and great scenery, and great races, with plenty of upset winners etc........... Not sure what else anyone could do / provide.

This week shall be interesting too - 36 degrees !
    Only suggested addition - water slide ! :)

Jordan, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• careycarey    6,369 posts

The quality of the race outside the winner was questionable though. It was the second slowest Railway in the last 15 years and they have all been run on Good 3's. Most Railway's of the last decade would have been 6 lengths better and certainly the closing sectionals were much faster. The race reminded me of Gathering beating Famous Roman, so I went checking The field were stacked up and the leader dictated and simply sprinted and got away, that part was the same. The difference with Gathering's field was that it was considerably faster run.

actual times for the main part mean diddly squat.
    i just went beck 5 years, and it was the FASTEST run of them all, even if not fastest actual time.
    lots of thing make the actual time irrelevant.
    maybe it was windy or maybe it has been wet, but whatever, there is NO WAY KNOWN it was  a slow race for that class.
    it was actually run at faster than average group 1 speed, something that does not happen often over there.

although i am not much interested these days, i would be very surprised if the winner is not a serious racehorse.
    i just needed to watch what happened when they straightened to get that feeling.
  • RodentRodent    7,043 posts
    edited November 2016
    Damien, you've come up with some clangers lately. You might want to take a leaf out of George's book.

therealkramer, paraletic, jum, Jordan, RIO likes this post.

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,678 posts
    yep, you're all experts on here.

• FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts

Jordan likes this post.

• RodentRodent    7,043 posts

yep, you're all experts on here.

Exhibit A:

PNG
    PNG
    Table.PNG

Fastmoney, Jordan, RIO likes this post.

• FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
    Updated market.

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,739 posts
    What (if any) will a rock hard track have on Rock Magic? Am I imagining him not liking it previously (I could be).

@DamienWyer I like a lot of what you say normally but have to agree with the crew and say you're being overly negative. I would say by your own admission you haven't been following the form as closely as you have in the past, for me that always makes the quality of the animals seem down. It is pointless to compere the times of races over previous years, compere across the day. They are all down, 2 races were in the 1.09 range and 1 at 1.08 for 1200m last year, does this mean these horses are 40m better than the ones running this year? I think not.

I went out the back to the loo late in the day and was surprised to not see many people out there is the only negative I can find, now days they do really tend to cram them into that first flaw though. It was fantastic to see a real effort by all to dress well, that has really lifted this year which is great. It was also great to see big groups of women out there, seemingly not dragged out there by fellas! It was also great that while people were getting pretty loose towards then end of the day it wasn't as trashy as it can be. Winners came from everywhere, top Jockeys rode brilliant races, I left a mile in front, what more do you want?

jum, JayJay, RIO likes this post.

• VoodooVoodoo    1,238 posts
    There is only 4/5 who can win.....I believe....but I am a shocking judge.

cheers

RIO likes this post.

That's my entire point. All the times are off because the surface is not conducive to ruining any sort of time. I don't think the quality is that much different but the track is. Carey's statement is dumbfounding.
  • JordanJordan    1,827 posts
    That last comment confirms it all !
    edited November 2016
    As per @carey's post....Jesus. Look at Luckygray's closing sectional(33.89)!?! :-O

Anyone who believes that interference didn't cost him the race may need to think again. He's Remarkable(34.32) wasn't the only horse that was fired out of a canon and the grey horse didn't need to punch a hole in the field to do it.

• careycarey    6,369 posts

That's my entire point. All the times are off because the surface is not conducive to ruining any sort of time. I don't think the quality is that much different but the track is. Carey's statement is dumbfounding.

damien, i have no problems with your opinions and your right to say what you want.
    that's what these places are here for i thought.
    but your statement that i am quoting here, contradicts the one my original comment was directed at.
    it was NOT your entire point. you were casting aspersions on the quality of the field and using the times as one way of confirming it.

i guess you could well be right, and me wrong, on that score.
    i admit i have got this lingering doubt about the way the track raced.
    my computer seems to think it was slightly favouring those close, and i can't argue with that because i don't take much notice these days.

and i also love horses that race the way the winner did.
    high cruising speed and then can still kick.

Jordan, RIO likes this post.

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,258 posts
    Planning to head there for Wi terbottom day.

Anyone know much more than whats on the website regarding the Crown Garden.

$150
    Premium drinks selection 
    Gourmet food stalls
    Entry
    Access to "The Landing" semi permanent structure...?
    Entertainment

For a day out thats all inclusive it looks like a way to go

jum likes this post.

• LendmefiftyLendmefifty    227 posts
    I wasn't too disappointed in LIMV's run. I also backed Lusaha and Chinetti. I though Lusaha would have them licked in the turn, but needed to get out and put a space on them which didn't happen and got run over by probably better horses. Shiedel for me in the Winterbottom, but I'll wait until it parades before parting with the hard earned.
  • LuckyLongshotsLuckyLongshots    4,270 posts
    H-BOMBER said:

Planning to head there for Wi terbottom day.

Anyone know much more than whats on the website regarding the Crown Garden.

$150
    Premium drinks selection 
    Gourmet food stalls
    Entry
    Access to "The Landing" semi permanent structure...?
    Entertainment

For a day out thats all inclusive it looks like a way to go
    Hard to find any further info H - Crown Garden is at the river end of the track.

I'll be heading out on WB day, with 36 degrees forecast, might be looking for aircon though!
  • dungydungy    9,278 posts
    Enjoyed last Saturdays racing but have to say this weeks card is a dead set shocker very avg animals running on a big gr-1 day the card looks to me to have 2 or 3 midweek races on it 
    dungy said:

Enjoyed last Saturdays racing but have to say this weeks card is a dead set shocker very avg animals running on a big gr-1 day the card looks to me to have 2 or 3 midweek races on it k

Perth Racing protection squad will be after you for lobbing grenades if you keep talking like that.

• LuckyLongshotsLuckyLongshots    4,270 posts
    edited November 2016
    Not really surprising @dungy - this week has always been weaker than the surrounding weeks.

Remember though, most of the crowd that go on these days, wouldn't know a 66+ from a listed race anyway!

Out of interest the AJ Scahill was the only feature race on this corresponding day last year.

hash likes this post.

• LeglessLegless    5,108 posts
    edited November 2016
    Takeover Target vs Apache Cat in 2008

https://www.facebook.com/TABtouch/videos/1374567892561717/

• H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,258 posts
    I'm really starting to warm to Rock Magic.....

Jordan likes this post.