G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 25 Non Members

Masters of WA Racing

West Australian Racing

Comments

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,677 posts
    So, was the Masters of Racing over three weeks with a Gr 1 each Saturday a success ? Perth Racing are claiming total attendance more than 26,000. They also claim that this represents an increase of 50% over last year. Neither of these two figures can I justify by anything physical. I haven't seen a single photo that showed more than a 10,000 strong crowd at the Railway, the Winterbottom looked like it does every year with around 4,000, and Saturday's Kingston Town looked the same. The couldn't even fill seats in the grandstand for race finishes, further undermining their claim.

So why all the misinformation ? Who's **** is getting protected here ? Is it to placate sponsors as was suggested by a racing identity of 40 years of Railway's ?

They cherry picked things like the number of Eastern States horses competing, but they were still B graders. Horses that couldn't win a Gr 1 over East, so they came to run against the locals and for the most part, put in embarrassing performances for wheels that had well and truly been greased by the large hangers on that try to justify their ridiculous salaries and positions on boards or committee's or whatever they want to call themselves.

The controversy of the Kingston Town finish has simply served as a smoke screen diversion for a carnival light on quality and heavy on smoke and mirrors.

• RodentRodent    7,041 posts
    What was betting turnover like? How did that compare to previous years? Racecourse attendance is nice but I think turnover is key as it reflects the true level of interest in the product.

thefalcon, sonny, hash, LuckyLongshots likes this post.

• WinsumlosesumWinsumlosesum    138 posts

So, was the Masters of Racing over three weeks with a Gr 1 each Saturday a success ? Perth Racing are claiming total attendance more than 26,000. They also claim that this represents an increase of 50% over last year. Neither of these two figures can I justify by anything physical. I haven't seen a single photo that showed more than a 10,000 strong crowd at the Railway, the Winterbottom looked like it does every year with around 4,000, and Saturday's Kingston Town looked the same. The couldn't even fill seats in the grandstand for race finishes, further undermining their claim.

So why all the misinformation ? Who's **** is getting protected here ? Is it to placate sponsors as was suggested by a racing identity of 40 years of Railway's ?

They cherry picked things like the number of Eastern States horses competing, but they were still B graders. Horses that couldn't win a Gr 1 over East, so they came to run against the locals and for the most part, put in embarrassing performances for wheels that had well and truly been greased by the large hangers on that try to justify their ridiculous salaries and positions on boards or committee's or whatever they want to call themselves.

The controversy of the Kingston Town finish has simply served as a smoke screen diversion for a carnival light on quality and heavy on smoke and mirrors.

wow what a surprise. Nothing but negativity (:|

MinesACorona, jum, captain_kirk likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited December 2016
    'The Winterbottom looked like it does every year with around 4000' .... Um well actually before this year the Winterbottom was run the same day as the Railway Stakes on Super Saturday.

jum, RIO likes this post.

'The Winterbottom looked like it does every year with around 4000' .... Um well actually before this year the Winterbottom was run the same day as the Railway Stakes on Super Saturday.

Winterbottom's haven't always been run on the same day
    You can fail to be surprised by my "negative comment" but you are probably the person they thought would believe the media release and get excited about the state of the racing industry under their leadership
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited December 2016
    Ever since the Super Saurday concept began they have been run on the same day haven't they ? I'm not sure myself now! Don't know if possible to look at - but why not think about running the carnival closer to Christmas and making it a true summer carnival. Remember when many holiday makers from over east would venture over to Perth to enjoy Christmas holidays here to coincide with the carnival thereby swelling the crowd. While at it bring the Derby and Karrakatta Plate back to where they belong two cracker of races that compliment races like the Railway and Winterbottom. One more favour move the Perth Cup back to 3200 metres and boost its stake money. Instead of the Perth Cup being continually demoted get it up back where it belongs too - a grand final to complete a wonderful Summer Christmas carnival.

spinking, rustyh, jum, oldhendo, Offthebit, hash likes this post.

• JellJell    1,201 posts
    I personally think the same layout of the Spring carnival would be best. Run all of the main races starting on a Saturday then a Wednesday midweek and finish on the Saturday. And I agree with rider, being the Derby and Karrakatta back to this week. Spreading it out over 3 weeks just drags it out I think.
  • spinkingspinking    3,748 posts
    I am going to buck the trend a little, I know some if not a lot will disagree but here goes.  I myself knocked the concept of the masters, after the three weeks I may have to take back my decision t reckon it has worked pretty well .Without looking at previous years commitment of eastern states trainers they seem to have been well represented this year. A lot of us on here myself included have potted Perth Racing in the past at least they are trying something different, every one I have spoke to was happy with there race day experience this year  that has not been the case in years past . Just deviating of the track a little the concept of the country fashion of the fields must have been a winner, I had mates come to town from as far afield as Karratha to support there local hopes. On the track we witnessed some pretty interesting racing over the 3 weeks the track seemed to hold up I don't think it was the leader biased track we may have seen in recent years ,some may disagree. A group of mates walked away after Kingston town day elated that when asking Chris Waller for a autograph he not only obliged but sat down and had a chat with them. Some of us forget that is what some people go to the races for to see the champs,not only the horses but the trainers and jocks as well. As long as perth racing keep trying to improve the carnival that is all we can ask for.Myself like Riders above would love to see it go back to the old days the Australian Derby on boxing day etc culminating in the perth cup on New years day. Who can remember walking out of Ascot way back then with that song playing after the last good bye the summer carnival . So that's it for another year hoping in anticipation that Perth Racing can hopefully improve on it again
  • AquanitaAquanita    566 posts
    Rodent said:

What was betting turnover like? How did that compare to previous years? Racecourse attendance is nice but I think turnover is key as it reflects the true level of interest in the product.

I am with you Rodent.

The measure of success or otherwise is the on and off course turnover both pari-mutuel and fixed odds but it is extremely doubtful that this information will be made available.

In the interests of transparency it should be and then we can see for ourselves.

RIO, sonny likes this post.

• jumjum    3,516 posts
    spinking said:

I am going to buck the trend a little, I know some if not a lot will disagree but here goes.  I myself knocked the concept of the masters, after the three weeks I may have to take back my decision t reckon it has worked pretty well .Without looking at previous years commitment of eastern states trainers they seem to have been well represented this year. A lot of us on here myself included have potted Perth Racing in the past at least they are trying something different, every one I have spoke to was happy with there race day experience this year  that has not been the case in years past . Just deviating of the track a little the concept of the country fashion of the fields must have been a winner, I had mates come to town from as far afield as Karratha to support there local hopes. On the track we witnessed some pretty interesting racing over the 3 weeks the track seemed to hold up I don't think it was the leader biased track we may have seen in recent years ,some may disagree. A group of mates walked away after Kingston town day elated that when asking Chris Waller for a autograph he not only obliged but sat down and had a chat with them. Some of us forget that is what some people go to the races for to see the champs,not only the horses but the trainers and jocks as well. As long as perth racing keep trying to improve the carnival that is all we can ask for.Myself like Riders above would love to see it go back to the old days the Australian Derby on boxing day etc culminating in the perth cup on New years day. Who can remember walking out of Ascot way back then with that song playing after the last good bye the summer carnival . So that's it for another year hoping in anticipation that Perth Racing can hopefully improve on it again

"Post of the Month"

=D>    =D>

Bang on the money Spink

JayJay likes this post.

• psychopsycho    655 posts

Damien you say you have not seen a photo with 10,000 people at the the railway, maybe it would be good if you went and took your own photo with 10,000 + in it. That many people in a photo seems hard to find and I was there at every meeting and thought the crowds were OK ! Not having a direct shot at you but it does seem you are "guessing" a lot because from your comments you were not in the crowd ? The racing industry is in enough trouble without multiple negative comments from people who do not attend regular meetings

Offthebit likes this post.

Tom Percy QC had an interesting comment also on this carnival. It evoked a lot of response, of which I read but didn't make comment on. You can find it on Facebook.

In respect to the woes of the Racing Industry, some clarity and honesty by some sections now and in the past, would have gone a long way to educating members and owners alike. Perhaps then solutions may have been found, but they chose another way. That's their issue to deal with now.

I can't take that many more photo's of Racing, it's just too hard to get enthusiastic participation other than  ever friendly nature of the Northam Race Club. I don't have any connections with Bunbury and have'nt asked Pinjarra, so I assume nothing.

Only project I want to do is outlying country areas but as part of some landscape and portrait photography, but time is my enemy these days. In photography terms, I have moved on.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    I applaud the attempt. No matter what number attended it was more than last years one day carnival.

The best thing i got from the carnival was 3 weeks in a row seeing quality jocks riding in Perth.....That in itself was worth trying something different. And if the local jocks don't improve from that experience they never will.

A big thumbs up from me to both RWWA for financing it and PR for putting it on and finding a way to make the track hold together.

Ridersonthestorm33, jum, goose, Notapuntas likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    It's not rocket science ...it's not the 1920's ...spread the distribution of stakemoney....50 % to winner 20% to second 10  % to third .....20 % amongst the rest....they put the show on. Everyone else is parasitic...in the nicest sense. FFs...wake up...defray the cost of being directly involved ...foster the hands on and encourage the future. 

savethegame likes this post.

• RodentRodent    7,041 posts
    edited December 2016

It's not rocket science ...it's not the 1920's ...spread the distribution of stakemoney....50 % to winner 20% to second 10  % to third .....20 % amongst the rest....they put the show on. Everyone else is parasitic...in the nicest sense. FFs...wake up...defray the cost of being directly involved ...foster the hands on and encourage the future. 

I'm not a fan of getting something for turning up. It breeds mediocrity. Racing should be competitive. Not winner take all but paying the first 5 is fine. Don't reward connections who can't prepare a horse properly or don't race them in a grade they can be competitive in.
     "Everyone else is parasitic". I'm pretty sure the punters losing hundreds of millions may have something to say about that.
     Connections don't donate their time and money. They work and pay tax or they buy a horse for entertainment and the chance at having a big thrill. They go in eyes wide open. There is no gun to their head.
     The best incentive to race a horse would be healthy prizemoney. You need a good product to bet on 1st and foremost. Turnover will drive prizemoney.
     I'm not sure paying people to turn up promotes a good racing product that will drive turnover.

Aquanita, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

Rodent said:

I'm not a fan of getting something for turning up. It breeds mediocrity. Racing should be competitive. Not winner take all but paying the first 5 is fine. Don't reward connections who can't prepare a horse properly or don't race them in a grade they can be competitive in.
     "Everyone else is parasitic". I'm pretty sure the punters losing hundreds of millions may have something to say about that.
     Connections don't donate their time and money. They work and pay tax or they buy a horse for entertainment and the chance at having a big thrill. They go in eyes wide open. There is no gun to their head.
     The best incentive to race a horse would be healthy prizemoney. You need a good product to bet on 1st and foremost. Turnover will drive prizemoney.
     I'm not sure paying people to turn up promotes a good racing product that will drive turnover.
    So by your definition everyone who runs 6th through to last on raceday is just turning up and mediocre ? They don't contribute to turnover...the life blood of the punting industry ? The horse population of Ascot has dwindled because cost vs return has dwindled and people are sick and tired of fronting up with cash to be taken for granted. Tumbleweeds are blowing through the streets of racing and unless things change in terms of return the contraction will eventually turn to desolation.

savethegame, Offthebit likes this post.

• AquanitaAquanita    566 posts
    Rodent said:

Reducing the 1st prize money may also raise integrity issues with less incentive to win with additional rating points likely.

Rodent likes this post.

• captain_kirkcaptain_kirk    36 posts
    Can all of you old timers on here use paragraphs please? If you are writing a 300 word post please?

SPACE

IT

OUT

RIO, GaryH likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    edited December 2016

Can all of you old timers on here use paragraphs please? If you are writing a 300 word post please?

SPACE

IT

OUT

=)) =))  =D>

SPACE

IT

OUT

Haven't you read Ulysses sonny 
    :)) :))

thefalcon likes this post.

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    spinking said:

. So that's it for another year hoping in anticipation that Perth Racing can hopefully improve on it again

the Y generation still have Perth Cup day to look forward... trust me it definitely aint over for the year  \m/

LuckyLongshots likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    u may get lucky again hashie...and lls.... L-)

hash likes this post.

• LuckyLongshotsLuckyLongshots    4,270 posts
    I just scrape into the Gen Y's, and I'll still be there PC day!

As someone that went the 3 days, the carnival was pretty good, no major complaints!

Winterbottom Day needed atleast one more black type race, as it was a little lacking.  The crowd that were there seemed to be in good spirits, wouldn't say the crowds were massive, but they were reasonable!

I will always push for a advertising campaign that sells the sport - love to see ads that generate interest in the jocks and the horses, first and foremost

jum, hash likes this post.

thefalcon said:

u may get lucky again hashie...and lls.... L-)

what's the damage, a few beers if your there next weekend? sorry I forgot to thank you for last weekend, was quite a busy few alcohol fuelled days before I went back to work...!

I just scrape into the Gen Y's, and I'll still be there PC day!

As someone that went the 3 days, the carnival was pretty good, no major complaints!

Winterbottom Day needed atleast one more black type race, as it was a little lacking.  The crowd that were there seemed to be in good spirits, wouldn't say the crowds were massive, but they were reasonable!

I will always push for a advertising campaign that sells the sport - love to see ads that generate interest in the jocks and the horses, first and foremost

the year Carlton Draught was giving out free entry tickets when you bought a carton of carlton draught product was popular (even if people were printing off and copying tickets) I know a lot that would be attracted to the races when there is entertainment on afterwards if they could get in for free...

surely scraping the $30 odd entry fee for the public, they'd make up for in food and drink sales the next couple hours after the last race once the entertainment kicked in... it ain't rocket science

• RIORIO    14,882 posts

if 10,00 went through the gates are you suggesting that they'd make up $300,000 PROFIT in a few hours drinking after the last race??

Lets say that 6,000 stayed for the entertainment over 3 hours. That would be $100,000 PROFIT every hour or $17 profit for every person, every hour it kicks on. So at the end of along day at the races - although some coming at race 5 or 6, so not quite so long. Every body there is going to down 4 full strengths beers an hour, whilst listening to the music???

And that would be only to break even from the free entry, let alone replace the profit that they would have made anyway!!!!

Free entry should only be for normal Saturdays. Or $15 entry and you get a race book, a drinks voucher and food voucher up to $10 value and a $5 TAB voucher would be a better suggestion.

pay to get in and receive food and drink vouchers, putting money back in, keeping in mind the $30 entry fee they pay gets a couple free drinks (which would cost the club a few dollars per stubby) you know what I'm getting at anyway

RIO, LuckyLongshots likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Yes i do big fella.....
  • NotapuntasNotapuntas    134 posts
    I hung $hit on the idea and am happy to eat my words. Didn't get up for any of the days and don't know about turnover or attendance but I know that with the 3x G1's in a row I was following keenly and punting every meet.
    @jum you were right to tell me my fortune haha

jum likes this post.