Comments

• thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    weather looks and sounds a bit ominous... 8-|
  • careycarey    6,369 posts
    Fastmoney said:

carey said:

and now for a question.
    what are the positives for racing?
    how does it make the world a better place?
    isn't it about money and betting and nothing else?
    take the betting away and you would have your answer.

Not everyone can lead a fulfilled life by hugging trees every weekend.

All pastimes cost money at least with racing and the punt there is a chance (however small) of getting some back. If it was just about the punt, racing would have disappeared long ago and we would be punting on automated races (ala Trackside) which are a hell of a lot cheaper to put on.

trees don't grow on beaches!!

it IS just about the punt  or else it would not exist like it does at the moment.
    that some involved may not punt is irrelevant, because without the punting side they would have to do something else for certain sure.
  • dungydungy    9,278 posts
    Gee those Pearce boys horses are hard to catch they get me every time
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    They’re Saving the best for the big one of the day :-?
  • ThunderstruckThunderstruck    7,692 posts
    Didnt rate a mention in his preview but i see Bollywood Blitz as the best horse in race 2?
    Maybe the jockey isnt appealing idk..however BB should race midfield over this trip and with a good steer and obtaining clear running when needed should just run over them...Eats horses like PTP for brekky classwise imo.

Thunderstruck dislikes this post.

I can’t see Grey Lion making the trip over here for the Perth Cup off of that effort just then at Pakenham... good chance to pick off some overs on other runners considering it is one of the fancied runners in future markets
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    edited December 2017
    If Gaulois leads in the next race he can win. Pike on the fav in barrier 1, Avduffer right next to him in gate 2-should be a great tactical race early.
    edited December 2017
    That's Aduffer for you. Allowed himself to be dictated to by surrendering the inside rail X_X

RIO likes this post.

• The horse wasn't good enough
    How’s the call by Macaulay after War Room crosses the line, pretty upbeat! :D

thefalcon likes this post.

• paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    edited December 2017
    War Room. Nice animal. Nice price too

Coldy likes this post.

The horse wasn't good enough

He finished 2nd so that is true. Should he have been outside the leader when he could have been hugging the rail from gate 2?
    Is it just me or did Aaron Mitchell ride a little too confident those last few strides on RB thinking he’d had the stablemate covered not knowing Get Over It was flying up the inside

Ngawyni likes this post.

carey said:

james cummings is dom's godson.
    i never realised that he is now the godolphin trainer, boy am i dumb!

Some wouldn't call him that considering Beadman was getting results and he was bacically just the caretaker. It shouldn't be that difficult. Unless of course he's changed something that wasn't broke? :-?
  • ColdyColdy    1,720 posts
    Today is the day. I have have 18 starts in this tipping comp for bloomen 5 seconds and a few dodgy 3rds. Only horse I backed today as stupidly over worked with work .Is the Poo. If this race is going to be won by a roughie, let the Sh*t hit the fan :-j

H-BOMBER likes this post.

• FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
    Beadman 16%
    Cummings (this season) 21%
    edited December 2017
    Fastmoney said:

Beadman 16%
    Cummings (this season) 21%

I was talking more in terms of major races. Beadman was in charge when Impending won the Stradbroke? Godolphin is killing it at the provincials(37%) and that says it all, really.
    i have no idea of how good either of them are, nor interest.
    i just said he is beirne's godson and was not implying anything other than that.

Godparents are for pretentious pricks. I dont think James is all that special.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    spot on hashie, he put the whip away a few strides from the post..a few more whacks and he wins .it. X(
    really.
    you learn something everyday.
    i have never met mr cummings, only his god father!!!
    thus i would have no idea if he is a pretentious prick or not.

at least i now know i am not a pretentious prick!! =))
    thank you kindly sir for that remarkable piece of knowledge.
    i dips me lid to all knowing you.
    gee i love watching horses that can run like that.

Thunderstruck likes this post.

Coldy said:

Today is the day. I have have 18 starts in this tipping comp for bloomen 5 seconds and a few dodgy 3rds. Only horse I backed today as stupidly over worked with work .Is the Poo. If this race is going to be won by a roughie, let the Sh*t hit the fan :-j

go the Poo I bloomem told you mob .Lets get smashed
    =D>
    edited December 2017
    Well done coldy, that c*** of a grey has never been one of mine
    Ever since the day it knocked me off in the last race of the day, when it ran first up in WA and won I’ve never been able to catch.
    Congrats to all involved, still happy to see the trophy stay in WA
  • AudioslaveAudioslave    34 posts
    as Far as interest in Racing beyond gambling goes Carey correct me if I am wrong. You haven’t gambled for a long time but yet you have still posted approximately 6000 tines on a dedicated WA based forum from your home on the east coast. As long as there are people like you who follow Racing with your dedication but no pecuniary interest Racing will be fine. The future is indeed a worry but as long as we have people like you hanging around posting on sites like this then by Extension Racing will be fine in the short term.
    no it won't because it needs gamblers, and they get nothing much out of me.

but if it survives and prospers will be interesting, because if it can't get enough off the people that do bet to pay for it all, where will the funds come from?

i don't believe the public should have to pay, and most of the population don't give a fig about racing.
    it should be self sustaining.
    is it and can it be?
    i don't care either way i guess.

as far as my ranting and raving on here is concerned, i think i was betting for at least the first couple of k posts!!!!

@hash ,its flying this prep, was a bit stiff not to get up previous run . Been a good few hours after party here in Geelong let me tell you

=))

oldhendo, therealkramer likes this post.

• YankeeYankee    299 posts
    How long will Pikey get for the cup interference a month?
  • JayJayJayJay    7,672 posts
    Of course racing needs punters...but it also needs owners, it needs breeders, it needs workers. My ownership isn't about turning a profit, nor is owning a dog, or having kids, or a budgie....hell knows, none of those things are self sustaining. But we do it, we spend our money (our choice) to sustain an interest, to keep on living. We are fond of all of the above but if you only did something for the single purpose of squaring a ledger, you would just curl up and die. Going on picnics or walking the dog costs money, its not turning a buck, so shoot the dog and pave the picnic area. Each to his own view about life and it's pursuits but I can't agree with such a monoscopic view on life...or in particular, racing.

oldhendo likes this post.

• ThumperThumper    820 posts

Race 2 is a great example of why going too slow up front is actually detrimental to a horses chances rather than giving it an advantage. I'm convinced most of our jockeys do not understand this. First 3 in running finished as the last 3 despite the slow speed.

Race 9 a perfect example of how to do it. They ran along and the first 3 in running finished as the top 3. The others either had the sprint taken out of them or just got way too far back to be able to play a part in the finish. 

thefalcon likes this post.