G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 13 Non Members

Railway Stakes 2017 - early tips.

West Australian Racing
Australia wide have about six or seven favourite races and the Railway Stakes is definetly one of them. It's Perth's oldest Group One race dating back to 1887. Up until 1984 was run over 1500 metres. When Hardrada won in 2003 was run at Belmont Park.

2017 edition is shaping up very well especially when horses the calibre of Cosmic Storm, Silverstream, Gatting, Sovereign Nation, Ulmann, Great Shot and State Solictor are between 14/1 and 25/1. Add the class of Scales Of Justice and doggedness of Black Heart Bart, plus plenty more...it's looking good.

If anybody is confident they've narrowed it down...feel free to have a go with a few selections.

Comments

• GLAMOURGLAMOUR    684 posts
    Silvetstram for me,but i guess Sats Peters will give someone a free pass in You have Royal Star and i gues Variation,the thing im asking niw they have.made a change in ruders on Gatting who will ride him Pike on one of the Peters team maybe Lee Newman had been riding him at trials,is Autier still in mix,or maybe an Eastern States rider.ve enteresting.
  • XuanLingXuanLing    107 posts
    Glamour...I don't understand......
    XuanLing said:

XuanLing said:

who is going to ride Gatting Pike engaged with the Peters team,msybe Lee Newman,is Autier still in the mix,or will they engage a Eastern State rider,and it also depends if he makes the feild.
  • RodentRodent    7,054 posts
    I remember paying my car off with the winnings the year Machine Gun Tom won it. I got the tri and it paid heaps! I think it paid about 15k in NSW where I was (I think I was at Warwick Farm) but paid 30k in Qld  :((
     I only had it for 50c but it was only a small car :D
  • XuanLingXuanLing    107 posts
    Probably Lucy. 
    V. Good record on him. 

1 trial ride for a win.............

Winsumlosesum likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited November 2017
    1998 Railway Stakes Machine Gun Tom...humanely put down in 2014 at the age of 21..same day as his 25 year old inseparable best mate Craft Memory 1993 Bunbury Stakes winner.
  • bradybrady    1,454 posts
    Great Shot is Value !

Ngawyni, oldhendo likes this post.

A favourite horse was 1987 winner Miss Muffet...she was all class and only carried 48.5kgs!

Back to this year...to be honest no idea. But will be trying.
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    GLAMOUR said:

XuanLing said:

XuanLing said:

who is going to ride Gatting Pike engaged with the Peters team,msybe Lee Newman,is Autier still in the mix,or will they engage a Eastern State rider,and it also depends if he makes the feild.
    Not even guaranteed a start, will be touch and go if he gets in the field. All eyes will be on the Airport in Melbourne to see who actually comes over. 
  • snake1snake1    40 posts
    All Our Roads and Life Less Ordinary have been added to Chris Waller’s travelling party
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    its all speculation at the moment...wait until final acceptors and the barrier draw...that's the time to have a discussion. :-B

JayJay, therealkramer, hash likes this post.

When at the track on Railway day...one final look ( just to settle the nerves ) then on their way to the barrier...that's normally when mine goes on!

Embarrassing to say but have got next to no memory of Hardrada winning the Railway at Belmont Park. Didn't even recall the Railway being run at Belmont or just very vaguely.
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,267 posts
    From memory that was the year blevvo won the KT? I was on hardrada that day and it ran 4th I think.
    Ran 5th and won the railway the following year
    Yes Hardrada ran 5th in a KT as a 4/5 ($1.80 fave )...then following year won Railway and ran third in the KT.

Blevvo 2002 KT winner at better than 20/1.
    i remember backing Blevvo in a york cup a few years years later at $7 or $8/1. Went up there for it. Great day. 

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited November 2017
    Yes at least 7/1 - 8/1 think was # 1 saddlecloth. A little out of form but against good company...8/1 in the York Cup about a Kingston Town winner turned out pretty good value. Possibly Alana Sansom rode but could be way out there.
    edited November 2017
    Alana Sansom did ride Blevvo several times in his racing career, however the winning jockey on Blevvo in the 2005 York Cup...none other than Dashing Dan Miller. Carried top weight of 57.5kgs.

Winning hoop aboard Blevvo 2002 Kingston Town - Peter Farrell. 25/1.
  • therealkramertherealkramer    8,008 posts
    edited November 2017
    Agree @Ridersonthestorm33 I **** love the race and was lucky enough to fly over from Sydney to be trackside in 2005 when Covertly won. Backed it too which made the trip even more worthwhile. Same formula every year for me. Asian Beau, Lee Steere and Peters Stakes provide the best local chances and then try to line up the visitors. Leaders generally fare better and it looks like the rail will be in the true position as it's been out the last cpl weeks and is again today. Might wait until race day before locking in my selection just to be sure there's no bias.

thefalcon likes this post.

• dungydungy    9,278 posts
    XuanLing said:

Probably Lucy. 
    V. Good record on him. 

1 trial ride for a win.............

Ahhhh Material Man
    For sure @therealkramer...it's a race that still gives goosebumps..a Perth race in my top 6 or 7 races in Australia shows my esteem for it. Was just having a glance at some of the 1980s winners ; Iko , Sanatate, Getting Closer, Jungle Dawn, Miss Muffett, Marwong ( outside barrier ) , Better Loosen Up...there's some horseflesh!

This year is as open as can recall...if they get the best sixteen, with the horses still in contention, around 7/1 the field it should be.
    edited November 2017
    Does D Weir bring Burning Front for Railway after his 5th of 8 today at Sundown.?
  • RodentRodent    7,054 posts
    GLAMOUR said:

Does D Weir bring Burning Front for Railway after his 5th of 8 today at Sundown.?

May not like sundown. Might be just a morning glory.
    edited November 2017
    Going to the Tabtouch Railway market now...and if the top 17 horses in betting happened to be the final field then Great Shot would be equal rank outsider!

At the least says a field of depth and very open. Not all in the top 16 of betting will run but a week out its not bad to have a quality horse like Great Shot as equal 16th favourite with Pounamu..no slouch himself.
    edited November 2017
    Bet365 pushed the panic button...today's Sandown Eclipse Stakes winner Payroll they've brought into 16/1 , Tabtouch still 50/1 and Sportsbet 100/1. Obviously won't be here or running. Or that 100/1 is looking good.

Bet365 takes no chances.

Bet365 pushed the panic button...today's Sandown Eclipse Stakes winner Payroll they've brought into 16/1 , Tabtouch still 50/1 and Sportsbet 100/1. Obviously won't be here or running. Or that 100/1 is looking good.

Bet365 takes no chances.

Apparently going to Packenham Cup,is what trainer said after race,there was no mention of a Railway Start.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• dungydungy    9,278 posts
    Bob said on radio this morning Oliver riding Arcadia in Guineans mmmm wouldn’t say Ollie has been in the best form of late the drums have been beating for a while he is retiring
  • TomJohnston8TomJohnston8    3 posts
    who will pike ride in the guineas, Art series??
    I'd say Perfect Jewel mate. Was $6 on Friday as well
    Impending - not coming now.