G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 27 Non Members

Belmont this Saturday - free entry *

West Australian Racing
They have thrown open the gates this Saturday to the races at Belmont on the condition that you have a travel (bus or train) ticket to Optus Stadium for the footy.

You read that right, they still charge to get into the Saturday non feature race cards at Belmont.

Torrential rain expected to fall in the hours leading up to the day, so bring your rain gear.

Comments

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Be the first time they've charged to get in to opening day as far back as I can recall
  • JellJell    1,201 posts
    Tivers said:

Be the first time they've charged to get in to opening day as far back as I can recall

It’s usually a fiver from what I can remember.

If they can’t do away with admission prices without breaking the bank then they might as well shut up shop.

If it’s free I’ll swing by and have a pint or two and watch a couple of races. If not I won’t out of principle, regardless of whether it’s $1 or $100.

Instead I'll go to my local which is free :D
  • TheDivaTheDiva    13,248 posts
    sorry... am i missing something? there's no footy on at the stadium on Saturday? 
    unless you're going to watch the Kangas open training session... 
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    Will have a horse running the following week and then straight to Wce v Saints. Nice daily double.

hash likes this post.

Can get the train to / from both now too
  • detonatordetonator    4,366 posts
    TheDiva said:

sorry... am i missing something? there's no footy on at the stadium on Saturday? 

unless you're going to watch the Kangas open training session... 

Think they have gone one week early.
    Trick point anyway - you don’t need a ticket to travel to the footy.
    It’s free transport.
    Ok.
    Read the announcement.
    If you catch the train to the track, you can show your ticket to gain entry.

Catch is most people use SmartRiders - so you don’t actually have a specific ticket to show.

RIO likes this post.

you bring your footy ticket to the races... the day before the footy.. and you can get in free to the races... across the road... from where the footy would be.... if it were on... 

RIO, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    edited May 2018
    You guys re picky or what...PR are an amazing organisation that have been planning these big event in partnership with the Dorkers and the Weagles for YEARS

First one they do is on a non football day with a ticket that most people don't get and cant produce!!!!!
    :)) :)) =)) =)) O:-)

Is this the same mob we are meant to trust with the future of racing in this state??!?!?!?!?

=(( how sad that this is how we work
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    as my irish co-owners would say.."well oil beef hooked"..... 8-}
    they are fair dinkum hopeless..or are they just trying to be funny?
    i'll have a chat to PG tomorrow...
  • ThumperThumper    820 posts
    Unless it's been edited the facebook post from Perth Racing makes no reference to the footy on Sunday. It says catch the train, show your train ticket and get free entry.
  • detonatordetonator    4,366 posts
    Drum roll for next week. First race day followed by footy at Optus.
    Anyone want to have a crack at attendance at Belmont ??
    Thumper said:

Unless it's been edited the facebook post from Perth Racing makes no reference to the footy on Sunday. It says catch the train, show your train ticket and get free entry.

Yes. Has nothing to do with footy.
    It’s re the train station now being used all weekend, every weekend.

• ThumperThumper    820 posts
    Syrely a smart rider will suffice for entry so why not just throw the doors open to everybody

jum likes this post.

Thumper said:

yep, i got that.
    so you pull out your footy ticket on saturday (because every footy ticket is your train ticket right?)... you take it to the races on Saturday... to get free entry. 
    but that same ticket doesnt get you on the train on Saturday... only on sunday.... the day the footy is on
    so you buy another ticket to ride the train to the newly opened train station on Saturday... but you take your sunday footy ticket with you aswell.... which is also your sunday train ticket...
    and that will get you free entry to the races on saturday.

yep... well thought out plan. 

detonator likes this post.

• ChrisChris    5,233 posts
    This is the most idiotic promotion of 2018, however it's likely to be surpassed.

RIO likes this post.

if there's no footy on... and therefore no crowd on saturday... why would you catch the train again? 

:-?
  • DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,677 posts
    This is the 'if you build it they will come' strategy at work. The State Govt upgraded the train services to the new football stadium at vast expense which Perth Racing believes they can tap into. It has as much substance as the proposed upgrade to Belmont itself and the promises of departed Committee Member's.

So in framing a market for this meeting, I am prepared to say that less than 50 people will avail themselves of this promotion, with a crowd of less than 1,000 (excluding those staff and stable rep's) in total.

Alternatively, Perth Racing should be regularly offering free entry upon gold coin donation to a variety of charities and naming race days to promote those organisations. The only meeting that should have a modest gate fee is the Railway Stakes and only if there is a band playing after the last. Other than that, it should be free entry like Crown is 24 hours a day.
  • FlandersFlanders    1,208 posts
    If you catch the train to the races on Saturday, show your ticket at the gate to get in free. Good idea. Whats wrong with that? Why is everyone sooking up?
    There's no mention of the footy in their social media posts at all.
    Sure it would be great for everyone to get in free but maybe they're trying to encourage people to catch the train so they spend more on booze because they don't have to blow under 0.05 on the way home. Maybe it is a well thought plan after all.
    Flanders said:

If you catch the train to the races on Saturday, show your ticket at the gate to get in free. Good idea. Whats wrong with that? Why is everyone sooking up?
    There's no mention of the footy in their social media posts at all.
    Sure it would be great for everyone to get in free but maybe they're trying to encourage people to catch the train so they spend more on booze because they don't have to blow under 0.05 on the way home. Maybe it is a well thought plan after all.

I will say though that they should be promoting it better to the Mum n Dad types via more mainstream media like TV and Nova and 92.9 etc
    so catching the train is the promo for this week? Goodness... 

RIO likes this post.

TheDiva said:

so catching the train is the promo for this week? Goodness... 

do u have to pay to get in Diva?
    nup. 

im not sure your mums and dads market are the ones that will get on the train so they can get full of booze at the races to be honest. 

Personally, Id have promoted the back to belmont side of things. we know the facilities are sh*tful... but play on the great track, brand new surface, fair racing, get some food vans in, set up a couple of craft beer stands, have the feral boys come down and put some kegs of their good stuff, or the guage roads lads. 
    The weather doesnt matter, there's so much unused, undercover area at belmont, you could have disco up one end of the stand and the other end wouldnt know it. 

Take the train and get in free just lacks imagination. 

Flanders, jum, RIO, Manchild likes this post.

TheDiva said:

nup. 

im not sure your mums and dads market are the ones that will get on the train so they can get full of booze at the races to be honest. 

Personally, Id have promoted the back to belmont side of things. we know the facilities are sh*tful... but play on the great track, brand new surface, fair racing, get some food vans in, set up a couple of craft beer stands, have the feral boys come down and put some kegs of their good stuff, or the guage roads lads. 
    The weather doesnt matter, there's so much unused, undercover area at belmont, you could have disco up one end of the stand and the other end wouldnt know it. 

Take the train and get in free just lacks imagination. 

fair call. You should be putting your hand up for a gig down there
    haha, i have 4 jobs already... dont need another. 
    TheDiva said:

Thumper said:

yep, i got that.
    so you pull out your footy ticket on saturday (because every footy ticket is your train ticket right?)... you take it to the races on Saturday... to get free entry. 
    but that same ticket doesnt get you on the train on Saturday... only on sunday.... the day the footy is on
    so you buy another ticket to ride the train to the newly opened train station on Saturday... but you take your sunday footy ticket with you aswell.... which is also your sunday train ticket...
    and that will get you free entry to the races on saturday.

yep... well thought out plan. 
    Has nothing to do with footy tickets, or footy tickets being your train ticket.
    If you want to catch the train to the Stadium station Saturday you have to buy a ticket - or use your SmartRider. So smarts would say buy a ticket from Perth to Stadium (for like $2), keep the stub and save whatever $ it costs to get in to the track (whether you actually ride on the train or not).
    simples..........
  • hashhash    7,495 posts
    TheDiva said:

get some food vans in, set up a couple of craft beer stands, have the feral boys come down and put some kegs of their good stuff, or the guage roads lads. 
    and where are all the funds going to come from to cater for this 'major' event

is hard enough to get them to get a Perth Cup meeting done right and under control once a year let alone what your asking for on opening day at Belmont
    if you get the ppl there, the food trucks will turn up to a captive audience. 
    I wonder how much business the Fish Boss did at the good friday meeting? Year before last he was slammed with customers. 
    Not sure about the brewery guys... that was just an idea.. but I've seen them do a tap takeover at the beer garden at the balmoral, couple of kegs of their newest beers, selling pints on a Saturday afternoon and they seemed happy enough to be there. 
    I know a new brewery about to lauch that would certainly have a crack at that caper. 
    :-c
  • jumjum    3,516 posts
    edited May 2018
    Emu Export Pints <:-P and they will come from the clouds

TheDiva, hash likes this post.