G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 32 Non Members

WESTERN AUSTRALIA CUP

West Australian Racing

Comments

• hashhash    7,495 posts
    Diva how do I like half a post and dislike the other half?

Yes his runs have been good (huge albeit weak fields) yet I thought $10 was juicy, what price will Punta offer I wonder.... can I be the first to snap up the double odds promo on him please and thanks
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    do you think anyone has the nuts to go out and set a cracking pace and make it a true staying test or will it be sit for 2900m and sprint the rest? 
  • JellJell    1,201 posts
    I'm A Bluebagger is an interesting runner.

He's been racing over staying distance and also tried a few hurdles. Been carrying a lot of weight and has done alright over the two mile. Could simply out stay them at big odds :-??
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited April 2018
    Dubai Escapade's last win was in this race two years ago April 2016, $4.60 seems way too short. Pike factor withstanding. Can't possibly win :-S

Stick to the Pounamu/Material Man clash of Plays The Game and Dark Musket, has been very little separating these two guys. Beg To Differ and Dudemanbro next best and both winning hopes.

Now watch Pikey go bang at the 200! :-<
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    beg to differ is my pick but its the type of race where it will be the last man...sorry, horse standing.
    there will be some very tired nags when they pass the post...
    Falcon was looking at Beg To Differ, trained by Michael Lane, a longer priced stablemate of Plays The Game. He's never far away and drawn nicely in two to get the run of the race. Think he's a big hope if can get the 3200.

Dudemanbro another interesting one, never underestimate Justin Warwick so including him.
  • GLAMOURGLAMOUR    683 posts
    edited April 2018

Falcon was looking at Beg To Differ, trained by Michael Lane, a longer priced stablemate of Plays The Game. He's never far away and drawn nicely in two to get the run of the race. Think he's a big hope if can get the 3200.

Dudemanbro another interesting one, never underestimate Justin Warwick so including him.

Another thing in his favour could be if it rains as predicted,is im sure he will be accustomed to a wet tracks coming from NZ so one to keep an eye on over winter.
  • runyonrunyon    574 posts

Dubai Escapade's last win was in this race two years ago April 2016, $4.60 seems way too short. Pike factor withstanding. Can't possibly win :-S

Stick to the Pounamu/Material Man clash of Plays The Game and Dark Musket, has been very little separating these two guys. Beg To Differ and Dudemanbro next best and both winning hopes.

Now watch Pikey go bang at the 200! :-<

I thought Dubai Escapade's run in the Pinjarra Cup was pretty good and at least you know he'll get the trip. Also carrying a kilo less than when he won it last time. He might not have had a win since then but has had a couple of placings at longer distances than most of these have ever run before. If it's a factor, he's got reasonable form in the wet with a record of  7:1-3-1 on a soft track. 

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited April 2018
    Didn't realise Dubai Escapade went over the hurdles in 2017, trialed at Casterton before running 4th in a Bendigo hurdle, margin just over four lengths from the winner. He will stick that's for sure.

Shouldn't let price dictate but 7/1 or 8/1 and I'm on! But 7/2 , 4/1 think will still pass.

runyon, thefalcon likes this post.

I don't think there would be too many horses going around that haven't won for 2 years and have form of 77808 opening at $4.60. I liked him after the Pinjarra Cup run and was hoping he might slip through a bit and be a reasonable price but it probably doesn't help having Pike on board. It's like waving a red flag.

• The_BullThe_Bull    918 posts
    edited April 2018
    Dark Musket for me. Held up at at a vital stage in both the Bunbury and Pinjarra cups. I thought he wins at Pinjarra if he gets out earlier. Should be cherry ripe for this. Nothing in his pedigree to say he will run two miles, other than him being by Makybe Diva's half brother.

its the bloody pike factor with DE..any other jock and he's close to 10's.
  • ThumperThumper    820 posts

Yes was just dreaming with that thought - he's $13 for the 3200m Sydney Cup one week before... that race has prizemoney of around $2million. Enough said.

Did you get on riders? It was a good thing after your call for it to target the WA Cup 

edited April 2018
    Haha it was a good thing wasn't it. Thrown in with the 55 kegs too. Got the running double with him but had nine of them! Didn't have the second horse either. Left out Almandin. First leg was difficult to find - Winx. Paid $21.
  • JellJell    1,201 posts
    Great to see Dark Musket win another one :-bd

thefalcon likes this post.

• prodigy91prodigy91    15 posts
    prodigy91 said:

Saxon saxoff for me

what a farce..anybody see the distances from the winner?
    10, 20, 30, 40 up to 56 lengths, WA horses are just not trained to run anything past 2200m...how many 2400m races do we have at a standard sat. meeting? very, very few....if any...
    either reduce it to 2300m or scrap it...
    edited April 2018
    Excluding a third placing, Not Again Ken at eight of his previous nine starts has now been beaten a total of 142.5 lengths. An average of 17.81 lengths a race.

Yesterday after having the run of the race dropped out faster than a speeding bullet to run a 56 length last. Finished last in the Perth Cup 36 lengths from the winner. Last in the Albany Cup beaten 16 lengths.
    edited April 2018
    A couple of postscripts from the race.
    An owner of one of the well and truly beaten brigade, was overheard asking the vet 'will i be able to race this horse again ?' The vet replied 'of course you will and you'll probably win.' b-(

There were six or seven in the race that were so slow their jockeys kept a diary of the trip. b-(

oldhendo likes this post.

Beg To Differ was beaten by 29 1/4 lengths. His time yesterday would have won last year's WA Cup by almost a second. Dark Musket's winning time was less than a second slower than the last Perth Cup run over 3200.

Thunderstruck, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited April 2018
    That's interesting Zarantz on a good 4 track rating, won the 2017 edition in 3:28.08 and Dark Musket in 3:22.54.
    edited April 2018
    Dark Musket fourth in two Perth Cups, third in a Kingston Town carrying 58kg. Winner of around half a million dollars carried 54kgs. Dudemanbro the winner of just two races also carried 54kgs.

No doubt if the trainer can get those hardy stayers with tremendous past records half right again, they are comfortably in at the weights. Who Shot The Barman in the Sydney Cup carried 55kgs, placed in a Melbourne Cup, fifth in another, won some excellent races and horses down towards the minimum only receiving 3-5kgs from him.

On weights and measures perhaps Dark Musket should have been 6/4 yesterday.
  • NevershowsurpriseNevershowsurprise    995 posts
    Comparable times from previous years mean nothing
    Yeah to be honest I'm more in that boat.
    edited April 2018
    Probably to my punting detriment, was going to the Ascot ledger at about the age of eight, and can add on a few decades and even one more to that, but in all those years have taken little to no notice of times.

All use to look at occasionally was the racebook to see who held the class, track distance record and that was just out of curiousity. A few punting mates swear by times but no not for me. It's how hard or slow they've gone up front that try to ascertain in the noggin without wanting to know the exact times. But as said I'm not in front!

Comparable times from previous years mean nothing

Obviously a lot of factors involved in race times and I'm not suggesting making direct comparisons isn't a waste of time but I also think it's fair enough to point out yesterday's Cup was run in a significantly quicker time than last years and in fact the first WA cup which Dubai Escapade won in 3:27.88 especially when so many runners yesterday finished so far from the placegetters.

• BushChookBushChook    38 posts
    Thought Saxon Saxoff ran a good race. Eliminated 3/4 of the field by making sure it was a test of stamina and not a sprint home.
    ^^Too right! Was almost the run of the race,stuck on like glue. Was a heady ride by Jerry Noske.
  • saxonsaxoffsaxonsaxoff    179 posts
    thefalcon said:

what a farce..anybody see the distances from the winner?
    10, 20, 30, 40 up to 56 lengths, WA horses are just not trained to run anything past 2200m...how many 2400m races do we have at a standard sat. meeting? very, very few....if any...
    either reduce it to 2300m or scrap it...
    Or how about schedule more races over further to encourage the trainers? I thought it was a great spectacle seeing them all strung out after it wasn't the sit and sprint they had in the previous runnings. Of course I might be a little bias. ;)

• TheDivaTheDiva    13,248 posts
    have to agree... dont scrap it..
    but add a lead up over 2400m and a lead up over 2800m. 

They were strung out like browns cows because there was a decent tempo set up front. last year they walked and sprinted home.