In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 32 Non Members

Railway, Winterbottom and Kingston Town

West Australian Racing

Comments

• TiversTivers    7,720 posts
    Reign
    Had issues (soreness) from that day on that she never really recovered from.
    Got her right for that one day (Roma Cup) but it was touch and go every day up until that and thereafter.
  • thefalconthefalcon    19,996 posts
    should have been a captains call, tivers...

just seen young kersley rode 2 seconds on his first day.
    wonder if he's boarding with lane and turner..
    They all agreed, in hindsight

Flanders, RIO, LuckyLongshots likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    dungy said:

thefalcon said:

that was last year, Kramer, not the strongest w/bottom.
    this year is a different kettle of fish...some grade 1 nags coming this year...
    Last years Winterbottom was stronger than this years 
    @dungy is this what you mean about only positive comments aobut the masters???
  • dungydungy    9,278 posts
    RIO said:

dungy said:

thefalcon said:

that was last year, Kramer, not the strongest w/bottom.
    this year is a different kettle of fish...some grade 1 nags coming this year...
    Last years Winterbottom was stronger than this years 
    @dungy is this what you mean about only positive comments aobut the masters???
    </blockquote

Stating facts Rio positive or negative maybe stick to footy hey ,,,,then again maybe don’t lol lol
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,256 posts
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand he back

RIO likes this post.

• spinkingspinking    3,748 posts
    This is getting a bit picky I know but seriously just doing some form on the winterbottom tomorrow, while looking at the stewards report from the colonel reeves there is a glaring mistake . Doesn't affect the outcome at all but really  see if you can see it .Its not hard
  • RodentRodent    7,041 posts
    Dainty Tess has had a sex change?
  • spinkingspinking    3,748 posts
    Sure has rodent in reverse as I said means nothing but it's hard to take them serious when they can't get a basic thing like that right

RIO likes this post.

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,677 posts
    Consecutive press releases without actual crowd numbers !! I'm told the total of both days stands at a tick over 9,000 so that just leaves 16,000 people to turn up for the Fruit & Veg to surpass last years total gate.

maybe they should cut it back to 2 weeks....a massive 1st day with the w/bottom and railway on the same day...2 $1mio races on the same day.
    food for thought as 3 weeks is too long to maintain interest.
  • NgawyniNgawyni    739 posts
    edited December 2017
    I don't know what the numbers were but there seemed to be a good crowd on Champion Fillies day (18 November) as well. Add in Cup day (7 November) and Ascot opening day (21 October) (not to mention Irish Day 28 October) - there are a fair few big days to get non-regular racegoers back to in a short space.
  • paraleticparaletic    3,750 posts
    I wasnt there yesterday but my brother went. Said crowd would have been no more than 6k at best.
  • GLAMOURGLAMOUR    682 posts
    Maybe knock it back to two big days,Railway and Winterbottom on 1st day,followed by Kingston Town and Guineas on 2nd day.just a thought.

thefalcon likes this post.

• DamienWyerDamienWyer    7,677 posts
    The current 14 day time period is reasonable enough, it's just on at the wrong time. No top liners will come here at this time, only those who have missed out or had interrupted campaigns on the East Coast. No amount of stakes money will change that. The $1M currently on offer had so massive shift in highly rated horses skipping anywhere of significance to come here. 
  • FastmoneyFastmoney    4,912 posts
    Avdulla on It’s Somewhat.
  • H-BOMBERH-BOMBER    10,256 posts
    Interesting that lucy isnt riding material man. Is she away?
    suspended..

H-BOMBER likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Wow...not a very strong field. Not even a full field. Cant see BHB getting beaten by anything with the same weight as him

detonator likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,672 posts
    Pretty smart bunch of neddies towing carts around in circles down at the Park Friday Night for over a million bucks. 5 of THE best group 1 horses in Australasia including maybe the best in the world. Won't see the likes of them in Perth for a long time. Get down there lads
    :-h
  • The_BullThe_Bull    918 posts
    I'm the worst mug punter in the world, but I don't think Royal Star is without a place hope @$26.
    Was all set to run 2100m in the Tatts Cup when scratched at the barrier. Then turned up 7 days later over 1400m when the victim of a very ordinary ride. May have looked a little one paced when she finally saw daylight, but after being ready for the longer trip and carrying 59.5kg, was probably entitled to look a bit that way. I'm not saying she can win, but if she draws a gate I can see her finding the line.

H-BOMBER likes this post.

• LuckyLongshotsLuckyLongshots    4,270 posts
    snake1 said:

Will Payroll make her way across for the KT... I have also heard rumours that OTI Racing are very keen to send Grey Lion to Perth for the Cup

I know Ballarat was a heavy track, but I don't seen him (Grey Lion) winning here.
  • JellJell    1,201 posts
    GLAMOUR said:

Maybe knock it back to two big days,Railway and Winterbottom on 1st day,followed by Kingston Town and Guineas on 2nd day.just a thought.

I’ve said from the start that 3 weekends in a row is a bad setup. Nobody, who doesn’t follow racing religiously, has 3 weekends spare in a row, people lead busy lives.

Do it all in one week, with the program that Glamour mentioned. Railway & Winterbottom on Wednesday. Followed by Kingston Town & Guineas on Saturday.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    ^^^^^I don't mind the 3 weekends, but the above is an interesting proposition that you could then market for visitors to be here for a full week of racing..

Maybe Saturday, Wednesday, Sunday even....
  • JellJell    1,201 posts
    edited December 2017
    I think it would work well but I doubt it will ever happen. The only problem I see is if horses were aiming for the Railway/Kingston Town double, they would have to be on the quick back-up.
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    yeah bit like up at Kal...Just up for a lot more money. A true middle distance horse should be able to handle it, but the horses stepping up from 12/1400 and wanting to have a  shot at both, probably wouldn't be able to.

I'm rather enjoying the 3 Saturdays in a row and to be out there on Railway Stakes days and be able to walk around and get drinks and food was truly sensational. It'll probably get me back again next year now, as well as having a crack at Winterbottom Day. In the past i'd just put a line through being on course on those days as it was just too many people ther for my liking.

Ngawyni, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited December 2017
    Will never forget as a teenager pressuring my father to take me to the 1978 Perth Cup to see a horse who had won a Brisbane Cup, Adelaide Cup and a Sydney Cup , also runner up in a Melbourne Cup - his name Reckless.

Now dad wasn't a crowd person...we liked the lazy hazy days of an Ascot summer in the leger. This day he said ok we are going 'inside' as he liked to refer it. The crowd at Ascot racecourse on a warm New Years Day 1978 was a tick over a cool 50,000. Suffice to say we never made it back inside for another Cup.

Reckless ran a gallant third breaking down in the run - amazing horse. Amazing crowd - just how did they get 50,000 into Ascot Racecourse, somehow they did. The old man and myself were two of them.
    They honestly must have just stood there back in the day.
    No way you could get around have a beer, punt etc.