G'day Punter!

In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 29 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Controversial one we have revisited a few times on the list. Worth watching for the race itself...some good horses involved...buggered if I know where the finish line was actually.

VillageKid, savethegame likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,629 posts
    Gives me dyspepsia every time I watch it.

On a sadder note, I am informed that iconic figure Joe Petricevich passed away on Friday night aged 97...58 years on from when he and a youthful F.R.Kersley Jnr won the Cup with Beau Travis in front of a packed house at Gloucester Park. Legendary figure from a legendary family. I wonder what Joe would think of the lamentable state of affairs in existence on Cup Night down at Headquarters these days crowd wise. Rising Scott, Shagrim, Picture Son....plenty of top liners passed through Joe's hands.

curmudgeon, savethegame, VillageKid likes this post.

Right, lets cheer things up a bit..... @aussiebattler and good ol Just Barney got the choccies at Narrogin today, and Matt Scott Trained a thoroughbred winner at Albany at $20 bucks (Dolly Em) and a harness winner at Narrogin on the same day....Miracle Max will be laden down with Westbred Bonuses. Good stuff.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,786 posts
    Jay Jay---- -dyspepsia thought it was a new brand of pepsi.hows the horse who was known as the ugly duckling manarora. not tonight but what I believed happened on who done-it and why with juniors image case with my research------ might have to get some ulcer guard.
  • aussiebattleraussiebattler    277 posts
    JayJay said:

Right, lets cheer things up a bit..... @aussiebattler and good ol Just Barney got the choccies at Narrogin today, and Matt Scott Trained a thoroughbred winner at Albany at $20 bucks (Dolly Em) and a harness winner at Narrogin on the same day....Miracle Max will be laden down with Westbred Bonuses. Good stuff.

Start 51 at the track finally did it Hooray :)  Now 51-1-5-10 at Narrogin 
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    I was on board @aussiebattler...just for an interest ...never in doubt :D
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    Had a bit of luck on the weekend - Frid night race 11 at Melton got the 1st 4 for a half and  trifecta for $1.50 - and I only got it because there was a psycho horse in the race

Melton allways on their metro card - have 2-3 country finals- I really like them because they have met in heats ( easy to do the form ) . I thought the 1st 3 over the line would beat the rest by 30 metres and they did - and i put the outside of the  front and backline for 4th - run on horses 

Now the psycho   horse Messerati - and why it is a psycho - is because it allways runs 2nd ( and theres been these type of horses over the years ) so I just anchored it for 2nd - put the other 2 1st and 3rd both ways . And true to form Messerati ran 2nd - looked the winner in the last lap for sure - but it got beat - that was its 28th career run - and it has run 9 seconds 

A couple of other points - at Tamworth yesterday - I reckon I saw the worst non decision ever in the history of harness racing . It was a heat of the Golden Guitar - with a group 2 final this Thursday night - so it wasn't some irrelevant race. The $1.60 favourite Court On The Edge led - it looked a certain winner - however it broke gear - about  50-70 metres before the final turn ( and the straight at Tamworth is exactly 150 metres ) and went into a wild gallop - and has galloped for the last 200 metres - finished 3rd narrowly - no protest - no stewards protest - that horse surely had to be disqualified

On a  brighter note - Ben Yole in 1 of the  races  at Devonport yesterday had 8 of the10 runners - and they finished 1st to 8th - not a bad effort 

Gilgamesh, Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

• loose_gooseloose_goose    2,069 posts
    edited January 2020

Controversial one we have revisited a few times on the list. Worth watching for the race itself...some good horses involved...buggered if I know where the finish line was actually.

I had never seen that before, thanks for posting.  

Great to see Just Barney win at Narrogin yesterday, unfortunately was not on
    Markovina said:

Had a bit of luck on the weekend - Frid night race 11 at Melton got the 1st 4 for a half and  trifecta for $1.50 - and I only got it because there was a psycho horse in the race

Melton allways on their metro card - have 2-3 country finals- I really like them because they have met in heats ( easy to do the form ) . I thought the 1st 3 over the line would beat the rest by 30 metres and they did - and i put the outside of the  front and backline for 4th - run on horses 

Now the psycho   horse Messerati - and why it is a psycho - is because it allways runs 2nd ( and theres been these type of horses over the years ) so I just anchored it for 2nd - put the other 2 1st and 3rd both ways . And true to form Messerati ran 2nd - looked the winner in the last lap for sure - but it got beat - that was its 28th career run - and it has run 9 seconds 

A couple of other points - at Tamworth yesterday - I reckon I saw the worst non decision ever in the history of harness racing . It was a heat of the Golden Guitar - with a group 2 final this Thursday night - so it wasn't some irrelevant race. The $1.60 favourite Court On The Edge led - it looked a certain winner - however it broke gear - about  50-70 metres before the final turn ( and the straight at Tamworth is exactly 150 metres ) and went into a wild gallop - and has galloped for the last 200 metres - finished 3rd narrowly - no protest - no stewards protest - that horse surely had to be disqualified

On a  brighter note - Ben Yole in 1 of the  races  at Devonport yesterday had 8 of the10 runners - and they finished 1st to 8th - not a bad effort 
    From jan1st Victoria have introduced heap new rules theres new rules regarding breaking stride
    plus think even leading a horse your not to allowed to use a mobile phone.thats a good one for the coffers
  • PictureSon1973PictureSon1973    138 posts
    Jay Jay do you recall a race 2 Horse war if I remember correctly between Salinger ( F.Kersley )
    & Scanio ( R . Chambers ) at G.P I believe Salinger was unbeaten up until that race?.
    It was a heat of the Pacing Cup or a prelude or something like that. Neither ended up winning and the field walked up the straight. I forget who won but it weren't Salinger or Scanio. Salinger had been beaten before (when they took him to Victoria for the Derby I think or a feature 2yo race) and I don't think he ever won again. Brilliant 2yo but bad pins as I recall. I think Chandon was the better horse but both brilliant. Scanio was one of the many Cass Haese horses that went so well. I'll look it up later, I have all the old racebooks from the WA Cup Carnivals going back to Hy Craft.

squid69 likes this post.

• PinballwizardPinballwizard    7 posts
    Heat of the Cup, Salinger ran 3rd Super strike and Golden Goddess swooped late. Few weeks before Scanio had sat outside Tabaret in a similar performance and beaten him, couldn’t get past Salinger.
  • Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited January 2020
    It's great how Ben Yole trains 70 - 90% that go around in Tassie - just give him every horse. There's not many left! Good races to bet on too.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,889 posts
    I reckon Kate Gath could be in a bit of trouble - Race 7 at Melton  - driving the $2.20 favourite

In the last lap - till the 350 metre mark - she has driven it a treat - she ducked into the 1/1 for some brief  cover - i was actually on the winner Tiwanku who was following her ( and was left 3 wide without cover ) and i thought she will come out 3 wide - shove Tiwanku 4 wide and win easily . For some bizarre reason she stayed in got held up - Tiwanku dashed clear and held on narrowly 

If  it was the old days - you would get 6 weeks  to 3 months - not suggesting anything untoward - but you cant drive horses like that - unacceptable
    I stand to be corrected age is catching up on me I always thought Scanio Crushed him and won
    that night ( Did they only race once against each other ?). I remember them taking off a couple of lengths away from the field gave me goose bumps like two street fighters going toe to toe last man standing If its the race I'm starting to feel that I vaguely remember now Scanio beat him .
    1 race a night run like that at G.P would have people talking again imagine Vultan Tin & Hands
    & Wheels handlebars down  ( Obviously let the Stewards & Betting Public know prior.)
    That way all Drivers & parties involving both Horses know what may possibly arise .
    Jay Jay  I believe all 3 Horses,
    1- Chandon (Trainer G.Harper)
    2- Salinger  (Trainer F. Kersley)
    3- Hensche (Trainer J.Justice)
    from the Same Broodmare her name escapes me though. I think the stud that bred them was
    famous Victorian Stud I think the brand was a 3 leaf Clover on the Horses.

• BetonmeBetonme    209 posts
    Close, Henschke was by Chandon.
    First match race Our Alfie Romeo v Convert Denario. with a galloping pacemaker after race 2---.1730m then after race 8 ---2936m.. numbers on betting tickets to relate to overall gross time combined of both distances. say starting I- means 5minutes.56 seconds. 2.means 5.55.30. 3.means 5.55. 4 so on owners to put 10k. in  each rwwa 5k. if they win one each best mile rate. of combined takes cash---------. punters paid  out on number that is closest to overall gross time.

from the Same Broodmare her name escapes me though. I think the stud that bred them was

forest lodge chiltern Victoria--newbound bros.  think solid gold may have used the same brand, and there horse were sold with names like prince of gold--,gold duchess-- gold duke -one year think cars was the theme lotus gold, masserratti gold-----

PictureSon1973 likes this post.

edited January 2020
    stg can you recall who the guy was in NSW that had pacer's going around mostly on country tracks all with "Tooth" in there name...one of the funny one's was "The Tooth Is Out There"...no doubt from the X Files ..the truth is out there.

Might still be a tooth horse or two going around, but awhile back in country NSW there was plenty.
    THINKING O'Shea will check riders
    Sounds familiar stg, and thinking they did run at Harold Park on occasions.
    Riders there was about 30-35 tooth horses mainly bred by g. bullock who trained ------o'shea looks like he was a driver he used often along with quite a few other  drivers tooth under fire was the best on wins  23----- ,toothbrush, and the one I like toothurty.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

Bred by Kevin Newbound, Forest Lodge at Chiltern I think, most by Classic Garry.....Salinger, Chandon, Bollinger (by another sire ?), Matts Cab Sav and then later on (on after too much bubbles and red plonk), the aptly named Sorry I'm Stuttering. Pretty sure Forest Lodge bred Garry Rowan the sire of Classic Garry and almost certain his brother Young Symbol (by Tarport Robbie) from Gay Acres.

PictureSon1973 likes this post.

Yep that's them alright. Commentator at the time often had a chuckle, possibly KT - Kevin Thompson. That Tooth Under Fire was very good. Toothurty a classic.

savethegame likes this post.

edited January 2020

I stand to be corrected age is catching up on me I always thought Scanio Crushed him and won
    that night ( Did they only race once against each other ?). I remember them taking off a couple of lengths away from the field gave me goose bumps like two street fighters going toe to toe last man standing If its the race I'm starting to feel that I vaguely remember now Scanio beat him .

Nothing wrong with your memory, they did meet again in another prelude the next week and Scanio won with Salinger back in 4th.

No knock on Salinger but his opposition in his juvenile sweep of just about everything was not the strongest draft of talent.

savethegame, PictureSon1973 likes this post.

Newbound family very good to deal with-----there first couple crops of garry rowan they spread them around Australia rather then target one state ,as if they were going to  be good  was stupid to bottleneck in one state------Friend brought a tarport Robbie was concerned with it after the sale late seventies he noticed a slight hitch .He alerted them of his concern they said break it in, if your still not happy, will give you your money back which ended up taking place.
  • sonnysonny    1,054 posts
    G.Bullock was a dentist (hence the the tooth) and Doug Lee also drove for him...

Ridersonthestorm33, savethegame likes this post.

sonny said:

G.Bullock was a dentist (hence the the tooth) and Doug Lee also drove for him...

Makes it easier to understand------ bet toothurty was a favourite.

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

Jay Jay I was starting to worry I was losing my marbles for a few hours .
    That race has been Imprinted in my Brain from that night just thought how bloody good is this .
    Who says you need Superstars to show the magic of Harness!
    If seeing a harness horse unwind 3 wide back straight at G.P round up the field and take of ala
    The Mighty Quinn / Manifold Bay doesn’t excite you you’re not alive.( Seeing their heads flying past the other horses heads is amazing in my opinion.
    Jay Jay I thank you for getting back to me about that race I appreciate it .

VillageKid, cisco, Ridersonthestorm33, jum likes this post.