In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 26 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts

Race 2.&nbsp
    ; Harper & Harper show with younger Harper's horse winning after being backed from 16s to 2.15 and favourite. The other 1.36 out to 2.80

Nothing in it was in the formline
    What’s that mean ??

I had the 2 leading before tactics had come out in the media backed it at the 16$ but the main money didn’t come for it until late when Lindsay confirmed on the twitter interviews that he wasn’t planning on getting into a war to hold up as it can gallop
    Fair enough …
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Anyone who follows Middlepage closely knows he is a risk for 400m after the start....especially if bustled but sometimes even if he is let come out in a pedestrian manner.... albeit less frequently now. Lindsay nurses him ...his record id littered with B ODM SD ...even an ODM  X 4 in one instance. I had something small on him the previous week drawn 2 but from 1 this week he was always in danger of being crossed & hemmed in late. No drama at all in the tactics.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,906 posts
    Seeing the past half dozen posts are about drives or tactics - and my posting record suggests that ive never questioned the authenticity of drives

However  last Friday night at Albion Park -  and im not accusing at all - im just mentioning it - and maybe others can give their common sense logical views on  it  

Now i only had a small bet on it $10 e/w - but ive got to be honest and say - it did leave a sour taste in my mouth

It was race 5 - horse 10 Hey Mister Taylor - very well graded ( i do the form their ) sit sprinter - with a decent kick on it - money for it $9 into $6.50 in an ordinary  field ( as evidenced by the roughies who ran 1/2/3) 

It had a very good driver who i rate highly - 1st qtr 26 seconds - went from 1 by 2 in  the running line to 4 back begs - that to me was questionable - especially with a sit sprinter - but  maybe she thought it might be a pegs dominated race - so fair enough - then about the 600-700 Grant Dixons horse ( immediately to her outside ) broke - perfect - an easy/great  opportunity presents  to come off the pegs - and come with its run - no - no interest whatsoever - stayed on the pegs - and then stayed in that position to the top of the straight where it was last

And what concerned me at that point - was the lack of urgency - say to look left or right and do something - then moved it wide eventually - then the horse under its own steamed pelted the last 60 to grab 4th 

Now the abbreviated stewards support says nothing - however - im not suggesting anything untoward - but the stewards in my opinion should be querying that drive - re the aspects ive mentioned during the race 

And Ray Murrihy who was a top steward - hard but fair - and he was once Chief steward at Albion Park - and if he still was - he would be grilling her over that drive and rightly so
    Marko..It's been/was my experience that the real out & out sit sprinter generally faints if they get outside a helmet into clear air even 500m from home.
    That's where punters & drivers have to agree to disagree sometimes when space to move appears too early for the type of animal. Not always but on occasions it happens.
    Especially the older week in week out horses...they get to know when it is going to be too arduous a task in running & bow out if seeing open air too early. The same horse from one week to another can keep swelling up all the way to the line when bottled up in quicker time than the previous start.
    ps...Ray Murrihy was the first steward to give me time...a fortnight & I deserved it...at the old York Showgrounds on a cold foggy winters night around 1980
  • ArapahoArapaho    223 posts
    Congratulations to G Davies who owns the first three placing in race 1 at Northam,
    would think this feat would not be achieved too often/

cisco likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,847 posts
    Eight favourites at Bunbury with last one running second to a $61 chance.
    Couple at Narrogin tonight.
    R1 Coolup Kid only has to reproduce his run from three starts ago and he wins.
    R5 Heza Headhonco been racing against much stronger opposition last two, awkward draw but lots of speed off the front so could open up early for him to get off the fence.

cisco likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,672 posts
    Driver assessment....when the dreaded words are spoken.... "And with absolutely no disrespect to"..... Weasel words.
  • Ivorytrunkey86Ivorytrunkey86    207 posts
    Everyone’s thoughts on the proposal in the west today for gloucester park?
    Not a lot of detail to be able to comment. Radley's email to members last night warning of the article also didn't contain specifics other than the membership will be informed/involved etc and that GP will be retained as prime racing venue. Ernie's piece did have quotes that the track won't be changing ...."would remain unaltered"....which seems strange seeing it's current dimensions are obsolete. "The sale of excess land" is also an interesting one....just where that will come from? Overall, far too early to really assess anything until more detail emerges. It is 18 years since the last plans were drawn up, I thought not in my lifetime then and I'm thinking the same now??
    Excess land would be the car park that nobody uses anymore.
  • aussiebattleraussiebattler    285 posts
    Not a lot of detail to be able to comment. Radley's email to members last night warning of the article also didn't contain specifics other than the membership will be informed/involved etc and that GP will be retained as prime racing venue. Ernie's piece did have quotes that the track won't be changing ...."would remain unaltered"....which seems strange seeing it's current dimensions are obsolete. "The sale of excess land" is also an interesting one....just where that will come from? Overall, far too early to really assess anything until more detail emerges. It is 18 years since the last plans were drawn up, I thought not in my lifetime then and I'm thinking the same now??
    https://developmentwa.com.au/documents/546-riverside-master-plan-review/viewdocument/546

most recent info on riverside development I could find was 2008 

I think the permanent heritage listing of a lot of the old buildings has junked this plan as far as GP is concerned, unlikely as it was. This 2008 version was a review of the 2004 version neither of which had a snowflakes chance in hell of ever eventuating.
  • ciscocisco    805 posts
    Great to have Aldo back driving from tomorrow night. Good Luck.

JayJay, Markovina likes this post.

cisco said:

Great to have Aldo back driving from tomorrow night. Good Luck.

Not being a smart aarse - but i wonder if he gets the Magnificent Storm drive back 

Aiden who is a top class young driver - jumped on for the last 2 starts - and the horse has gone sensational 

If it was me - i would simply put the lighter weighter driver on - and at a guess i reckon that would be DeCampo . As ive mentioned several times - the great Gordon Rothacker (thats who that annual prestigious medal/award is named after in Vic ) put 50 years ago Brian Gath and Teddly Demmler on his top horses - simply because they weighed less than him

And this is purely a guess ( because  they dont weigh drivers and they should ) but i reckon Aiden might be a stone lighter than Aldo - and for that reason i would keep Aiden on Magnificent Storm

sonny likes this post.

Kellerberrin today - in the last race - race no 8 - i think Sports Central is some sort of chance at nice e/w odds - $16 after the win boost 

The 1  2 and the 4 - looking at the replays - and the form - i dont think their is anything between them 

Sports Central; has got a tricky gate in 4 - especially if the 2 wants to keep the breeze 

But at the $16 in a quiet sort of field i think it is worth something E/W 

sonny, cisco, Cant_Refuse likes this post.

• Ivorytrunkey86Ivorytrunkey86    207 posts
    Belonero handed up easy
  • Cant_RefuseCant_Refuse    198 posts

Belonero handed up easy

That happens when you drive the 1 but own the 2

Browny123 likes this post.

Strike Master, 2nd tonight has been very well placed and has had a lot of luck with draws since coming back from Albany, drawing 1 ,13 times out of 31 starts and at least 2 of those 31 he was out of the draw.

Some were PBD/L where the lower level horses draw well (as it should be) but a lot were RBD, so an extraordinary run of good luck.

Some were PBD/L  hence (has been well placed) and your right , As it should be,especially with these races that the eligibility to enter is to be under a certain amount of dollars last 5 and so on and because they are RBD you find L10s drawing inside of L6s  etc.
    The L10 already has a advantage being able to race a L6 let alone have the chance to draw inside of it .

curmudgeon likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,847 posts
    Bettors Destroya was a huge drifter in race 6 at GP and raced accordingly after having every chance.

Gilgamesh likes this post.

Congratulations to Narrogin Club & staff on getting through that drenching tonight for the meeting to have been completed. Looked like an horrendous amount of rain on tv.

cisco, JayJay, Cant_Refuse likes this post.

Hear, hear to that Noel, I had my little bloke in the last and thought not a hope in hell of the meeting being completed but hats off to all concerned. New top surface I think and although unbelievably wet, it raced safe and the 4WD mobiles seemed at ease getting them away. Drivers as well.....not a heap of fun but respect shown.

curmudgeon, freodockers likes this post.

GP Vs Narrogin racing.
    Roughly same sized track horses leading, coming from midfield and back of field to win last night.
    Terrible conditions but still great competitive racing.
    Even Richie Bell got excited on a few occasions.
    Only two variables mobile formation and class of horses racing.
    If you could get that style of racing at GP 65% of the time it would turn things around considerably.
  • Rocket_ReignRocket_Reign    844 posts

GP Vs Narrogin racing.
    Roughly same sized track horses leading, coming from midfield and back of field to win last night.
    Terrible conditions but still great competitive racing.
    Even Richie Bell got excited on a few occasions.
    Only two variables mobile formation and class of horses racing.
    If you could get that style of racing at GP 65% of the time it would turn things around considerably.

What? 6 out of 8 leaders won on a bog track that usually wouldn’t suit leaders
    Wonderful To Fly's full brother has won a couple of trials of late. Named Velocipede. Am intrigued as to how this name was approved by HRA as a previous incarnation of Velocipede was a very serious and successful fast class horse bred by Les Baldwin and trained by Les Poyser (along with its brothers Surfers Guide and Dillon Story, so a significant family). Velocipede won a heat of the Interdominion in Perth in 1967 and qualified for the final, I think he uniquely won the Christmas Handicap twice and I have an inkling that it's dam Alliteration (he was by Kellett) was broodmare of the year.
    I think that whoever has approved this name has gone against the naming protocols as stated by HRA on it's website. The horse should be renamed henceforth. If not, there is nothing to prevent another Color Glo or Haddock or Mister Moriarty (or whatever) which would be both confusing and completely disrespectful to past quality horses and their connections. There is absolutely no need for any replication of any names these days day with computerised data bases.

savethegame, VillageKid likes this post.

• savethegamesavethegame    2,806 posts
    edited July 2022
    Pet hate surely can come up with other names----Notice at the gallops horses getting named  after Kalgoorlie Cup winners---Colour Correct--Seminole Brave etc. 

JayJay likes this post.

Race 8, the stand at Pinjarra, an $8,500 race, the stake payouts are seemingly based on an obsolete template (winner $5124 v $4750, unplaced $100 v $150 etc). Has someone stuffed up or has there been a change implemented? The other $8500 races are consistent with what has been paid out of late, just this one anomaly.