In this Discussion

Who's Online

1 Members & 3 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• Ridersonthestorm33Ridersonthestorm33    10,809 posts
    edited March 2019
    The best one saw in the proper season was the market they had for first goal kicker after half time - the whole 44 players were allocated a price.
    Then they had something like $8 for anyone not mentioned above.

Well if the whole 44 players have been allocated a price it's a bit difficult for it to be anybody else!

If you backed "anyone not mentioned above" you were on nobody!

In the Hawkins situation am 99% sure you'd get a refund if selected player doesn't play.
    The % they bet on those bets - frightening.
    44 players for instance can win the Norm Smith Medal and it's about 5/1 the field!
    edited March 2019
    The consensus of opinion from the Sky guys for the Menangle Ladyship Mile was that the inside draw was a horror spot for the $1.80 fave Purdon's...Dream About Me.
    Could be just not three back the pegs but possibly four back the pegs.
    Absolutely no gate speed previous run.

End result blew out the gate to $2.50 - not only led but led comfortably and bolted in!
    The two heavily backed runners they liked Carla's Pixel and Tell No Tales never ever likely.
    One thing have learnt over the years - the Kiwis are more cagey and good at what they do as anybody in the game.

Thr NZ All Stars dominating the night so far and a lot more possibly to come.
    edited March 2019
    Wow the favourites in the Group One NSW Derby could not have been more dissapointing.
    Absolute bolters result. 2400 metres and speed on at Menangle - a few roughies sat back and found the faves out.
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Marko get over it mate.
    Eagles have been cheating and involved in rorts since there inception.
    They probably backed the first goal scorer and are sitting back drinking there Chardonnay.
    Go dockers go anybody except those blue and gold Turkeys.

oldhendo likes this post.

edited March 2019
    Our Uncle Sam runner up in an Interdominion and runner up in the Hunter Cup - couldn't crack a start in the Miracle Mile - that was a well deserved win. Was much better last week when punched the breeze and ran 4th.

Should have got a run in the big one before Ya Ya's Hotpsot and My Alpha Rock. But they'd be happy to pick that race up.
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,281 posts
    All that NSW money is now heading back over the ditch as the All Stars clean up!
    edited March 2019
    Five horses were all winning chances - yet after 100 metres the only quinella you wanted to be on was Spankem and The Fixer, mentioned last week they've "stuffed" up a few big races - mainly because of bad draws and not much luck - they weren't going to muck this one up!

They've run 1,2,4...they must have been giggling in running.
    A night dominated by the Kiwi invasion.

Interdomion winner - led all the way.
    Fremantle Cup - same.
    WA Pacing Cup - same.
    Hunter Cup - same.
    Miracle Mile - same.

Most of those five races you'll find were very similar to tonight's Miracle Mile ie....leader, leaders back, three back the pegs...you get the idea.

Not saying it's good/bad or right/wrong but the lack of pressure in making moves astounding. Million $ Group One races and nobody moves.
    Exception My Field Marshall in Freo Cup who did guts it out, but not undue pressure attack either.

Five of the biggest races in Australia dominated by leaders and peg runners.

Forget the size of the track too - GP, Melton, Menangle when the leaders get it easy, it's just that - easy.

savethegame likes this post.

edited March 2019
    Been watching some old Group type races on You Tube - drivers that were not afraid to die wondering, don't know why it changed :-?? I'll even throw this out - are drivers too matey these days ?
    Their seemed to be more of a dislike for the opposition in a previous time.

If as told by a friend that "horse's are more even today" hmmmm...ok but then doesn't that nessitate more boldness in driving tactics ?

Just putting it out there - five of the biggest races in Australia and it's been almost a replica copy of an exacta result to the leader and leaders back.

Never dreamt in a million years would see a Miracle Mile of all races the quinella be decided after no more than 100 metres. If you have a gander at other Miracle Mile's and at Harold Park too much more pressure in a previous time.
  • savethegamesavethegame    2,806 posts
    2nd and third prizemoney is worth to much in a million dollar race to get involved in early burns.so just play follow the leader.
    edited March 2019
    Yep quite possibly so. Sit back and hope, a place is always a chance. Leaders in the big races are doing it in style.

Tiger Tara nearly ran favourite - if somebody offered you their $100 ticket for $5 fifty metres after the start you would have said ''thanks but no thanks".

He was a conservative 66/1 after no more than 100 metres.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,907 posts
    The whip rules hey - drivers cant help themselves in big races - runners up in Ladyship and Derby - fined $400 and $500 - Anthony Butt being one of them

Emma Stewarts 2 runners in the Derby beaten 84 and 85 metres - both stood down and ordered to retrial - how could they go that bad

Thank goodness Malcolms Rythm didnt win - when Riders said i was a bolters result - i was praying it wasnt it - it was $126 this morning - i was going to put a few dollars on it  - that Kima girl has been driving it in Melb - and when ive been on it - not that well - its got alot of ability that horse

Ridersonthestorm33 likes this post.

edited March 2019
    Credit where credit's due - in the lead up to the Miracle Mile on Sky Gareth Hall basically in his own words said..."Chris Alford probably needs to try and lead on Poster Boy because if he doesn't The Fixer will roll straight to the front and immediately stablemate Spankem will get going and The Fixer will then hand up to Spankem which in turn places Poster Boy three back the pegs".

He could not have got that more precise. Great insight into the race.

Don't want to take anything away from Spankem either, he's outstanding, recall watching him in the NZ three year old races, was always going to be a top liner.

Not sure what happened to Field Marshall, thought just for a fraction of a second was going to bubble at the start.
    The horse that fought on quite well was My Alpha Rock, a softer run on the pegs and could have run 3rd or 4th at long odds.
  • ToepuntitToepuntit    241 posts
    In regards to the mile
    The 55.4 middle half pretty much put paid to any form of mid race moves, they didn't really come up for air, and zipped home in 25.4 nothing was ever going to run over the first 2, they were just too good.

Lucky the tiger didn't come off the arm or he would have ran last, he just can't run those kind of sectionals, as seen last week was all out running 1:50.7 off a soft lead. Had zero chance after the draw IMO
    edited March 2019
    Enjoy the NZ trotting on a Friday - sometimes when the Purdons have the up and coming horses going through the grades they are not just better than the rest, they are 50-100 metres better.
    Not just one horse in the race but two or three, all miles better than the rest.

The horse flesh they have at their disposal must be priceless, and as soon as one or two don't quite measure up, they soon disappear.
    Not so sure if one stable should be that dominant ?
    Think Chris Waller trained every horse in Winx's race today bar Happy Clapper.
    The big get bigger and the small battle away.

Toepuntit likes this post.

Who in the hell is that new racecaller in Country/Provincial Victoria - he is an absolute pain in the aarse - what a motor mouth - says alot except calling the horses in the race

Just an observation re Panda - as a racecaller - and i dont mind him as a caller ( however  i dont post mushy mates nonsense )- is one thing that has crept into his calls lately ( and Jim Jacques is the worst in the world at doing this ) is if someone hooks out midrace to try to get the death seat  position - then it is none of the racecallers business - to say - oh this is a forlorn hope - the bloke in the death is not going to hand up here - im sure Jacques is egging on the bloke to keep the breeze

The top callers dont do that - and the ones who do - they should listen to Keith Slaters advice to Trevor Jenkins - shout your mouth Trev
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    The Panda is getting some miles under the belt ...Northam last night....Pinjarra trials this morning and Bunbury this arvo .....far as I am concerned he is doing a good job just to get the names right in calling 23 separate events in less than 24 hrs.

VillageKid, JayJay, cisco likes this post.

Still taking Aliman off Dean Miller Marko ? :-j

VillageKid, JayJay likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,677 posts
    Entitled to your view Marko, no question, but I can't even come close to agreeing with you on Matt. I am no bosom buddy, in fact he and I disagreed diametrically over a protest at GP a few weeks ago...he thought it was frivolous, I thought it should have been upheld but no problem there, just differing views and on we move.  What I will say is that his "on course work" (as opposed to the brief commentary time that goes out on air) is second to none...a run down on all runners, concise, to the point and it matters not where he is calling, be it the outer Barcoo tracks at Collie, Williams or wherever, it is always a 110% professional job. Curmudgeon is spot on about distance traveled and work ethic. Today at Bunbury, he looked a little bleary eyed but it was business as usual, up the tower and on to the first race.  As far as his comments on moves to the breeze and whatever, his predictions about who may or may not hand up are invariably correct (because he does his form) or if they aren't, it adds colour to the call. Check out the standing start race today at Bunbury...he said they were out on their feet, it added a great sense of theatre to what could have been a dull race, and he was spot on, they were out on their feet coming  home in 32.6  seconds the last 400m on a very hot and windy day. I think you are way wide of the mark. And yes, very well done Dean Miller and also Peter Trefort and Nelli Babe. Was standing next to Peter and he got a great kick out his mare winning, just 8 weeks after a knee replacement (Peter, not the horse). Will be the Mayor of Narrogin tomorrow.

VillageKid, cisco likes this post.

Still taking Aliman off Dean Miller Marko ? :-j

Today - its 5/4 favourite in a field of crabs - drawn gate 2 and led all the way  - the town drunk could have won on it

The trouble with some posters - is theve got mates - and they post stuff along the lines - because their mates- where as i post actually what i think and believe

As for racecallers - i will quote the late and great Bertie Bryant  who when it comes to racecalling - i think hes got a few more stripes on the sleeve of his shirt than anyone else here

In that famous 2 horse race in the 1960s - which he called - i think it was  Rain Lover  and Big Philou - when they hit the line - Bertie said - Photo - then he  said Big Philou by a nose - then he famously said - i better get this right ( seeing it was only a 2 horse race ) otherwise i will have to go out and get a real job - lol

curmudgeon, Cant_Refuse likes this post.

It's ok Marko ....It's good for my psyche to be out curmudgeoned by a born natural occasionally  :D
  • ciscocisco    805 posts
    edited March 2019
    You are a hard taskmaster Marko.

I got the chance to meet Jim Jacques a few years ago when I went to a special race meeting at Wayville in SA. You would not meet a more dedicated and likeable person, in fact, he came to lunch with our group and spoke about his trials and tribulations in becoming a race caller. Trust me it was not an easy ride. 

The young boy calling over here is Luke Humphreys. He was co host of a local harness racing show on community radio which has since very disappointingly finished because of lack of funds from HRV. I have not met him but he certainly has done the "hard yards" in his apprenticeship for race calling and I am sure he will get better.

My family have raced horses for 40 years I believe many punters and followers have no idea the work, travel and dedication required for industry participants, including race callers.

I race horses with Nathan Turvey but in my travels I have met harness racing trainers and drivers in SA, VIC and NZ and everyone of them works bloody hard in a very tough climate. 

As far as callers go as long as they get the horse names correct and are accurate in close finishes who really cares.

Only my opinion Marko and you are entitled to yours.

Cheers cisco

• savethegamesavethegame    2,806 posts
     I never worry about racecallers getting names wrong I have trouble with a lot names myself.  99%of the time. you know the one they mean.even if they have thrown in a stablemate from a previous race no big deal..Main ingredient for a caller is that he programs his mindset  on  that 100% of his audience are listening via a radio which makes each position in the run vital.leader behind leader etc.  they just got to inform  where each horse  sits in the run ,Most modern day callers have enough time to add the fruit  re--  lead times quarters paint the picture on  whats liable to happen in the last lap purely based on experience.& knowledge of the game kicks in which I find entertaining,,,,(re the leaders have gone to hard there going to stop)

IMO the x-factor a top caller has is the ability to visually line up the rate a particular horse is finishing at and by the time the line comes up what will take place; that's a must for radio audience only;;;;;;. d.mac,has always had trouble with that part of calling.

My favourite bert Bryant call went like this  dual choice, ahjay, dual choice, ahjay these two great horses come together dualchoice, ahjay they hit the line give it to cyron

curmudgeon, Markovina, sonny likes this post.

Just read a questionaire fired at Tony Brassell - when asked for his favourite bet type ? - "Collect".
    Like that!

oldhendo likes this post.

I never worry about racecallers getting names wrong I have trouble with a lot names myself.  99%of the time. you know the one they mean.even if they have thrown in a stablemate from a previous race no big deal..Main ingredient for a caller is that he programs his mindset  on  that 100% of his audience are listening via a radio which makes each position in the run vital.leader behind leader etc.  they just got to inform  where each horse  sits in the run ,Most modern day callers have enough time to add the fruit  re--  lead times quarters paint the picture on  whats liable to happen in the last lap purely based on experience.& knowledge of the game kicks in which I find entertaining,,,,(re the leaders have gone to hard there going to stop)

IMO the x-factor a top caller has is the ability to visually line up the rate a particular horse is finishing at and by the time the line comes up what will take place; that's a must for radio audience only;;;;;;. d.mac,has always had trouble with that part of calling.

My favourite bert Bryant call went like this  dual choice, ahjay, dual choice, ahjay these two great horses come together dualchoice, ahjay they hit the line give it to cyron
    You make a good point Game Saver - some of these clowns forget that there is a radio audience - i listen to quite a few harness races on the radio in the car

Here is an absolute shocker - Freddie Hastings ( he should have been fired after this effort - literally)- Bankstown  Trots race 2 - 15/2/19 . If you stood the fave out in trifectas multiple times ( which i did ) then i think youve got every right - to be disgusted in his call - you only need to listen to the last lap

However in my opinion Jacques is the worst - again i was listening on the radio - and i had a horse going for big money - Greg Sugars was still in SA - in this race he was going for a milestone - 50th or perhaps 100 wins for the year . Sugars is leading - my horse ( horseB) is cutting it down - with about 20-30 metres to go - Jacques says - Horse B looms up on the outside - he then says aah yeah - and im thinking aah yeah - takes the lead and wins - Jacques says Horse B looms up on the outside - aah yeah - well done Greg Sugars  100 wins for the year - baarstard - and im relying on his radio call

• sonnysonny    1,082 posts
    I grew up listening Ken Howard, Jeff Mahoney and Des Hoysted etc, They were the best.. No live racing just listening on course and on the radio. And their calling was great...

savethegame likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,677 posts
    edited March 2019
    Marko's fester list ...and these are just the recent ones.

Sack David Shorte, Matt Young, the young Victorian novice caller, Jimmy Jacques, Fred Hastings, Dean Miller, cease racing at GP and Bunbury and Matty White gets a retro bucket tipped over him...any I have missed?

I am with you @Kan

VillageKid, Kane_26 likes this post.

What about a few callers from overseas - awwwwaaaaaay they go and downnnnnnn the stretchhhhhh they come.

Col Hodges in NSW - a gem - "The gates craaaaaaaasssh back".
    Only missed one JJ, - Bonsu haha.

VillageKid, savethegame, JayJay likes this post.

• Browny123Browny123    97 posts
    I reckon the panda has improved out of sight..called one of mine winning an absolute borefest last week and made it sound like an inters final...gotta back the young blokes in
  • tonytony    2,375 posts

What about a few callers from overseas - awwwwaaaaaay they go and downnnnnnn the stretchhhhhh they come.

Col Hodges in NSW - a gem - "The gates craaaaaaaasssh back".

Alan Hull is the one who calls that riders