In this Discussion

Who's Online

0 Members & 24 Non Members

AFL 2023

Sport

Comments

• GilgameshGilgamesh    4,745 posts

Gilgamesh said:

I'd love to see Sturt come in (a natural scorer and creator) and NOD to a wing for Hughes who tries his guts out but just isnt an AFL footballer. Add Walters to the starting 22 and that would change the whole demographic of the line up and almost see the team be more aggressive going forward naturally without having to force it on players who have had it drummed into them to play safe.

Freo/Chariots what are your thoughts on Henry? Frustrates the beejezuz out of me, so many errors, zero effort after he makes an error or loses a contest.

That said if I can ever get away from focusing on his floors occasionally he does offer something. I'd like to just see him on the wing all season, basically Liam we are backing you in-we want to see where you can get to building game on game. That way if he is still where he is at now come the end of the year at least he can move on with the club and also anyone that wants to speculate on what he could be very clear on what he actually is. He has never shown what has been trumpeted, hes not fast, his skills and decision making are poor and he applies little pressure. But he does appear to be able to run all day, occasionally is creative, there's no one else!

Agree on Hughes having said that his best footy is as a back man.
    Liam Henry is on the improve, showing a bit more grit this year, but he’s one of those players who will play well when the team plays well.
    ODriscoll if he was playing for a Victorian side would be a star of the future. As I understand he’s injured, if he’s not he should be straight back in for good.

He's played at least some role in 2 peel scratchies so hopefully up to speed now.

In regards to Wilson taking Walkers spot, I think it was a case of absence males the heart grow fonder with Willo. He has shown exactly why Walker jumped past him in the first place. Yes Walker has some brain fades but he offers good rebound, doesn't seem to just charge out as blindly as Wilson does and is far better at keeping his feet in a contest.
  • MarkovinaMarkovina    2,917 posts
    Your spot on Deto - and Chariots is incorrect re T Kelly 

You said he was very good early - which is correct - Chariots said he was outstanding - which is clearly wrong - 3rd qtr - he dissappeared  right out of the game - 4th qtr was marginally better - Kelly is your quintessntial 3rd to 5th best midfielder - youve got Dangerfield - Sellwood - Mitch Duncan - Cam Guthrie - so Kelly runs around and has a picnic untagged  - one  thing Kelly is very good at - - the Cats rested him on a hff - forward pocket - he is very clever/dangerous around the goals - he kicked some superb snap goals for Geel - but the Eagles havent played him like that

Yeo would be a  massive inclusion for the Eagles this week - he is their no 1 midfielder - and he has got genuine leg speed 

Ive just got the feeling Liam Ryan could be in for a big game goal wise - i like how he is moving - could be a smoky for the Ross/Ben medal 

If you could trust West Coast - but you cant - i think they will win - i dont think Freo supporters have grasped how diabol;ical their team has played to date - they had no option with Lobb  - but they seemed to have cleared out a fair bit of depth - players like Logue and Acres etc 

4 way battle for the spoon - Haw- Footscray - Frem and the Suns 
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Geez that's a bit tough Marko.

Still got the Dorkers in the 8. They have some real genuine speed. So in the next month - or sooner - the synergy will come and they will just run teams into the ground. North have played 2 good games , by their standards, but will struggle to get to 6 this year.

I struggle to see how the dorkers can win after the past 2 weeks...but I can't see the weagles being able to play 3 or 4 quarters like last weeks Q2

I'll tip the weagles by 30 points, due to the Dorkers delivery into the attacking 50 is so poor, an the likes of Hunt, Hearn, Barrass and McGovern, will have ample time/opportunities to rebound from those errors... If Dorkers get that sorted they'll win by well over 30
    Markovina said:

You said he was very good early - which is correct - Chariots said he was outstanding - which is clearly wrong - 3rd qtr - he dissappeared  right out of the game - 4th qtr was marginally better - Kelly is your quintessntial 3rd to 5th best midfielder - youve got Dangerfield - Sellwood - Mitch Duncan - Cam Guthrie - so Kelly runs around and has a picnic untagged  - one  thing Kelly is very good at - - the Cats rested him on a hff - forward pocket - he is very clever/dangerous around the goals - he kicked some superb snap goals for Geel - but the Eagles havent played him like that

Yeo would be a  massive inclusion for the Eagles this week - he is their no 1 midfielder - and he has got genuine leg speed 

Ive just got the feeling Liam Ryan could be in for a big game goal wise - i like how he is moving - could be a smoky for the Ross/Ben medal 

If you could trust West Coast - but you cant - i think they will win - i dont think Freo supporters have grasped how diabol;ical their team has played to date - they had no option with Lobb  - but they seemed to have cleared out a fair bit of depth - players like Logue and Acres etc 

1st, you can't be wrong on an opinion, Chariots opinion was T Kelly was outstanding, just an opinion.

2nd you have 2 dockers supporters suggesting the Eagles were great value at around the $3.10 mark so yes most dockers supporters understand how shockingly they have played.

Louge got offered about 250k a year more at North so good luck to him.

Acres was a complete stuff up especially when they go and offer someone like Ethan Hughes 3yrs who is essentially a backup ruckman but only offer Acres 1yr at a very low rate-rumoured to all be over a falling out that he had with Mr Bell previously.
  • freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Gilgamesh said:

Markovina said:

1st, you can't be wrong on an opinion, Chariots opinion was T Kelly was outstanding, just an opinion.

2nd you have 2 dockers supporters suggesting the Eagles were great value at around the $3.10 mark so yes most dockers supporters understand how shockingly they have played.

Louge got offered about 250k a year more at North so good luck to him.

Acres was a complete stuff up especially when they go and offer someone like Ethan Hughes 3yrs who is essentially a backup ruckman but only offer Acres 1yr at a very low rate-rumoured to all be over a falling out that he had with Mr Bell previously.
    People said same think about Freo making 8 last year. Eventually if you say it enough times you will be right.
  • oldhendooldhendo    766 posts
    Early days yet, still lots of drama to unfold. 

freodockers, Gilgamesh likes this post.

I see NN is out of the derby nothing til Rd 5.
    Geez he’s becoming a liability but you could say same thing about Fyfe,, both should be treated with respect in their final years.
    Both champion players but where do you draw the line.
    Patience can be a wonderful thing but so can hindsight, it’s a fine line.

spinking, Manchild, thefalcon likes this post.

• thefalconthefalcon    19,999 posts
    exactly, freo.
    jayjay rightly summed NN up as "an 8 game mascot". has been great but the spelling paddock looms.
    NF with the injuries he has had will be in a wheelchair by the time he's 50.

Gilgamesh likes this post.

I love Thursday night footy but this game is shite.
    Just worked out Fagan needs to go.
  • JayJayJayJay    7,684 posts
    Last week it was Longmuir and Beveridge that had to go, the week before that Simpson, before that Ross Lyon and Clarkson, this week, Bevo back in the good books and Fagan has to go.... next week it will be someone else, the umpire boss, the Match review guy or fact Finding Super Bowl expert Gil. Spare me.That's the joke that the competition has become, revolving around some goose like Barret creating a headline to sack someone or change something...and then the pile on begins....until another "crisis" emerges. It's not worth watching, it is a USA style circus of overpaid nongs, both on and off the field, selling the public spin about participation rates or some other bull crapp.

RIO, VillageKid, savethegame likes this post.

JayJay said:

Last week it was Longmuir and Beveridge that had to go, the week before that Simpson, before that Ross Lyon and Clarkson, this week, Bevo back in the good books and Fagan has to go.... next week it will be someone else, the umpire boss, the Match review guy or fact Finding Super Bowl expert Gil. Spare me.That's the joke that the competition has become, revolving around some goose like Barret creating a headline to sack someone or change something...and then the pile on begins....until another "crisis" emerges. It's not worth watching, it is a USA style circus of overpaid nongs, both on and off the field, selling the public spin about participation rates or some other bull crapp.

It is very very VERY hard to find any media that is worth consuming around the AFL. One of the better things I have done is cut it back to almost zero. I do really enjoy a podcast with Xavier Ellis The Hard Ball gets, its basically the kind of talk you would have with your mates about footy but with a bit more knowledge.

Also watch the games with no volume so you dont have to hear the umps constantly or some commentator screaming absolute gibberish. Wish there was an option to just have the crowd noise on but technology hasnt come that far yet.

VillageKid, savethegame, RIO likes this post.

Any AFL show with David King on it is always better with the sound turned down. 
  • VillageKidVillageKid    2,282 posts
    +1 Gil and we will not be missing a thing worth noting!

Oh for the good old days of just Sunday World Of Football on Ch7 with Frank Sparrow and the panel of Percy Johnson, Marty McDonnell, Steve Marsh, Mick Cronin etc or "Dads Army" as Toddy and Brownie called them and the Saturday night replay on ABC with Dennis Cometti, George, Keith Slater, Bob Shields, John Vukman etc and The Winners (VFL) on Sunday night with Drew Morphett.

None of the absolute useless mindless dribble you get with todays football media!!!

savethegame, JayJay, freodockers, RIO, Manchild likes this post.

• detonatordetonator    4,366 posts
    Eagles confident Nic will play this season ? WTF.
    Football so far this season is boring enough without the “human highlight reel” being sidelined for the season. 
    No disrespect to Bailey Williams…..but I would rather watch paint dry.(:|
    I dont watch any review games these days - the Coll v Rich game was a good game - but as soon as the siren blows i turn it straight off 

One TV Football show i really enjoyed - i think it only ran for the one year - 1994 - and this was before Eddie McGuire had his football show 

Frid night CH 7 had the delayed telecast of the game starting 8.30pm Perth Time - so i wouldnt look up the result - so your basically watching the game live 

Then at the end of that about 10.30pm - they had a live local football show - Bob Maumill was the host - Gary Carvolth had all the inside info - George and Brad Hardie where down one end - and John Todd and Mick Malthouse up the other end - plus they had a live audience 

Theyd review the game just played - i can remember they interviewed after the game one night Peter Knights when he was coach of Hawthorn - and they also previewed all the other upcoming games for that weekend

I found that show - highly entertaining and enjoyable

• SKIDSSKIDS    1,006 posts
    Should have won that by 10 goals.
    Darcy Cameron out for 6-8 is going to test our depth in the ruck.

Gilgamesh likes this post.

• RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Watched the majority of the second half and didn't think it was a very clean game.

So  much luck involved in taht speed game of around the packs. I used to think it was the hardest and most skillful that was winning those contests but now it is just this Under 10, push the ball forward anyway you can and hope the team mate it comes out to is one of yours,,,,

i can see why the weagles held on to the old game style of waiting for the ball to come to you and then attack from halfback/fullback.. Their big problem for the past 2 seasons was no hard working midfielders to put pressure on the opposition mids going forward or providing the run and skills to get them out of defense.

So any team that is equally matched with their opposition for speed of ball movement has a chance of winnng, irrespective of their ladder position...

The betting agencies would be loving the way the game is developing!!!! might go back to following WAFL, so i can watch football, instead of whatever the AFL is becoming
    SKIDS said:

Should have won that by 10 goals.
    Darcy Cameron out for 6-8 is going to test our depth in the ruck.

Have you got anyone else besides cox on the list? Might have to get creative???
  • RIORIO    14,882 posts
    Geez can anyone in the AFL hold a mark, make a 30m pass stuck, or kick a goal??

Someone has to get back to kick, mark, lead, kick, mark, goal.

I’ll give it another week, or I’m taking up grass watching!!
    Can’t see ya Detto, ya hiding out back somewhere.
    I'm here Freo. You at the game ? Because true supporters/members go in good and bad times.
    ;)
    I’m here big crowd building took a while to get through
  • NevershowsurpriseNevershowsurprise    995 posts
    If you barrack for the Eagles you should get the fcuk around them because that was gutsy. They win with a bench.

detonator likes this post.

Sometimes in sport you don’t have to win to be a winner.
    Gutsy by the boys today. 
    Reckon that game will  fast track the development of the young blokes.
    Time to get some of the aboriginal elders to spread some of the magic smoke around the changerooms to lift the “injury curse” that has infiltrated the club.
    @-)

Nevershowsurprise likes this post.

• NevershowsurpriseNevershowsurprise    995 posts
    detonator said:

Sometimes in sport you don’t have to win to be a winner.

Gutsy by the boys today. 
    Reckon that game will  fast track the development of the young blokes.
    Time to get some of the aboriginal elders to spread some of the magic smoke around the changerooms to lift the “injury curse” that has infiltrated the club.
    @-)
    Agree Det, if I was an Eagles supporter I’d be seriously asking the “why me” questions after the past couple of years of injuries

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,855 posts
    What price St Kilda being on top and Geelong on the bottom after three rounds prior to the season starting.
    A gallant effort by the eagles under the circumstances. Inevitably the Dockers runners got off the chain when the Eagles could not sustain the pressure without rotations.
    We will have to wait until the Oracle provides his assessment of the game as us mere mortals have no idea what we are talking about.

JayJay, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• goosegoose    1,628 posts

I see NN is out of the derby nothing til Rd 5.
    Geez he’s becoming a liability but you could say same thing about Fyfe,, both should be treated with respect in their final years.
    Both champion players but where do you draw the line.
    Patience can be a wonderful thing but so can hindsight, it’s a fine line.

NN not on his own you can add Shuey and now McGovern in that boat but will give them an opportunity to get games into younger players.
    Dockers looked much better yeaterday running it through the corridor they cant play Taberner , Treacy Jackson and Darcy in the same team again forward line had some space to work in for Switta and Shultz.
    Still see how they go next week Eagles were  a few men down in the last quarter so Dockers were entitled to run away with it.

RIO likes this post.

My sentiments - thoughts re the Derby 

I turned on the game when the Eagles led 5 goals -to 4 - Shuey was still on the ground - and for the next 40 minutes Freo absolutely dominated - except on the scoreboard - th eEagles didnt score and didnt  look like scoring

I call it as i see it - i was highly critical  of the Dockers 1st 2 games - however yesterday i thought they looked a  million miles better - they played quick attractive football - highlighted by that classical bit of play  in the 2nd qtr where Luke Ryan beat his Eagles opponent pointless - thumped a 60 metre drop punt - and Sonny Walters how good was that one grab vice like mark - opposed to Tony whats his name - you know the owner of the Spud Shed - who came off 2nd best 

I watched that game as a neutral supporter - because im a Cats  supporter - and this 1000% utter rubbish that W/Coast would have beaten Frem  with a full bench - that is Cinderella - tooth fairy nonsense

Fremantle were a mile in front in general play - to use Comettis words - they were toying with W/Coast - the only worry for Freo - and they did exactly the same thing against Stk for 3 qtrs - dominated - but didnt pile on the goals 

West Coast are in a world of pain - the only glint of hope for them - and i had  the volume  right off so i dont know who it is - that  young orange haired ruckman - he is going to be a good player - they want to persist with him 

As for Geel - they had to hit the wall at some point -last 17-18 years only missed the finals once 9 prelims and 4 flags - mind you in 2 years time ( when about 10 - 35 year olds all leave ) they wont be much better than W/Coast are now- but that is the system in place

freodockers likes this post.

Fair call Marko.

Markovina likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    edited April 2023
    List management at the Eagles has been atrocious since the 2018 GF.
    Even after the weekends carnage the replacement talk is all about another trip to the retirement village to exhume Nic Nat & Elliot Yeo. They & several others are done physically. Time for Homer to have it explained to him that the comfy chair interrogation of reality isn't working..
    Bailey Williams can rest easy ....he may be another in the long list of West Coast ruckmen traded out to become premiership ruckmen at other clubs in anticipation of Nic Nat returning to rescue the Eagles.