Who's Online

0 Members & 52 Non Members

Comments worth a post but not a thread of their own

Harness & Greyhounds

Comments

• freodockersfreodockers    2,667 posts
    Did he hit a wheel of cart in front or lock wheels with horse inside him
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts
    Drove over a wheel while pulling out & accelerating & broke briefly causing interference to those behind him putting them out of the race . I think that is the stewards( judges) belief & under the USTA rules instead of those knocked out of the race being "collateral damage" like they would have been considered in Australia.....they were all promoted in front of the initial winner who was disqualified. This is the correct policy ... indirect interference that destroys the contention ability of other runners in any event should be recognised for what it is....not personal...just a statement of fact.  The penalty is the reason the locking of wheels in the USA is a non issue. Generally the drivers give everyone room because of the penalty. The horses speed is thus the focus along with the timing of race moves. The US finds blame where it exists instead of the non attributable occurrences  we are largely accustomed to. It simplifies things.

savethegame likes this post.

• ChariotsonfireChariotsonfire    2,847 posts
    Broke one of my betting rules last night and took a first four on the Trotters Race due to a jackpot on NSW TAB.

Looked a match race between Luvaflair and Goodtime Pe Rabbit and I was out of play at release point.
    Shockwave injury, what a hit that is not only for connections but for Aust pacing, Out for summer racing, just shithouse for all concerned.

Chariotsonfire, PackedMetalPanda, jum likes this post.

• curmudgeoncurmudgeon    2,417 posts

Shockwave injury, what a hit that is not only for connections but for Aust pacing, Out for summer racing, just shithouse for all concerned.

I have thought for a while now that horses returning from spells to top level racing are being asked too much physically. The stresses of racing at that level especially at distances greater than a mile from the outset of a campaign is clearly depleting the numbers of Aged performers going through successive campaigns Australia wide. Something needs to be done & I think it should be in the planning of more races of shorter distance. At least then the time & distance horses have to carry fatigue and risk breakdown is reduced. These animals aren't designed to be running sub 30sec and better quarters for 2100 -2500 m week in and week out.

freodockers likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,672 posts
    edited July 2021
    Hmm...yes, it is horrible news when the likes of Shockwave and Too Fast Too Serious  breakdown but it is equally sad when it happens regardless of class .....and I speak from recent experience with one currently laid up for 6 months, and another racing again after about 18 months off, it is no fun.
    It must be very tempting to run them every week when there are 5 and 6 horse fields in FFA class.....and in fact across all classes. Now, at the risk of irritating the company cheer squad, yes, I am aware it is winter, a particularly wet one at that, and yes, there is traditionally a drop in numbers in work at this time of year.....a drop off that I thought may have been mitigated by all those horses that were turned out post the short lived PBD L3 initiative returning to training.......and no doubt, someone will trot out a statistic or two that renders the illusion of a mass migration of lower class horses to NR jurisdictions over East is all counterbalanced by  western importation (as Biederbecke and McKinley return to scale on Thursday night).
    However, of the 44 scheduled races to be held over this weekend (Friday to Tuesday), only 38 are taking place 8 seven horse fields and 5 eight horse fields, so a question along the lines of "where are the horses?" would seem quite reasonable, along with "where is the stakemoney?" from the cuts that were implemented from Friday night stakes and Tuedsday Night GP stakes to fund the somewhat hard to locate "ninth race".

Gilgamesh likes this post.

• BetonmeBetonme    211 posts
    have to agree, looking at GP Tues, lucky to get a meeting up....again. 

• MarkovinaMarkovina    2,906 posts
    Just watched the replays at Albion Park tonight - and i think from a pure excitement factor - and it is their highlight/no 1 meeting of the year - but i think it is the best nights harness racing in Aust

On the 1  program - theve got - 4 100k races Oaks /Derby .2yo QBred Colts/Fillies - plus 50k Trotters Cup - and 250k Blacks a Fake - plus 4 really strong supporting races

In the big one - King of Swing $1.22 fave gate 1 - havent seen that happen for a long time - hung out at the start - the 8 on the second line got inside it - a couple of Kiwis dashed to the lead - KOS - busted gait - then travelled 1/1 - big run to run 3rd -  60 to 1 winner 150-1 2nd horse - Chariots would call that a skinner ( seeing it was a big race ) back in his bookmaking days 

Gilgamesh, freodockers likes this post.

I see Bailey McDonough driving a couple for Emma Stewart tonight at Bendigo

He should do well over their - very experienced - and still got a junior claim 
    I could be wrong, but I thought he out drove his claim in WA. Not that you can really get much of a concession in WA anyhow. 
  • ashleighmpashleighmp    24 posts
    Betonme said:

I could be wrong, but I thought he out drove his claim in WA. Not that you can really get much of a concession in WA anyhow. 

Moving to Victoria, he was able to regain a concession again. He isn’t sure how long he will have it, but it will definitely be an advantage for him

Betonme, Gilgamesh likes this post.

• JayJayJayJay    7,672 posts
    If I am reading the press release correctly, Zero stake increases for harness, which in effect means we are racing for less and less each month. The $460,000 funding assigned to marketing initiatives in an effort to revitalise the code may be better directed towards developing exit strategies for participants. The bureaucracy blames the participants, the participants blame the bureaucracy and it seems never the twain shall meet and the Industry fades more rapidly than expected into absolute obsolescence. The much vaunted "new business model and handicap system", trumpeted as a cure to the demise of the industry, has clearly not delivered. No doubt those responsible will be held accountable.

Have been saying it for years JayJay but I’m considered negative. I read it as well on the racing thread 15 million or something to that effect
    Harness and greyhounds maybe a mill combined of the total amount.
    To top it off Kal Cup gets a steak increase to 150.0k when they can’t even field a meeting.
    One day just like Crown it will all come tumbling down.
  • PictureSon1973PictureSon1973    138 posts
    Jay Jay fact of matter irregardless of which perspective of the Coin that you look at The Racing
    Codes in W.A are flawed Financially through Continuous Bad Business Desicions and Self Interest
    Blindness.
    Jay Jay The Incompetence of Management of all 3 Codes has been swept under the Carpet for way to long by all Government Parties.
    For all the Employment & Commerce it creates it is treated with disdain by all Parties its
    either to hard to deal with the Codes or there’s just no interest !
    Racing in WA is in a Bad Way if a Visionary / Competent Minister isn’t found with the like minded
    & Competent Support Group behind them WA Racing will be a Backwater within 1 Decade .
    It’s just not the Trots but I admit the 1st nail has well and truly been nailed into the Coffin I’d say
    the Gallops are in a bit of strife as well and they’re the Premier Code.
    In reference to your last line hasn’t happened for the last 20 Years and it won’t be happening this
    Year !

We will be left with one professional code and two amateur codes.
    Exactly how it was set up from the start some twenty years ago.
    Racing in WA needs a V’Landy a Dictator who won’t take any Prisoners from the 3 Codes Incompetant Management Practices .

Racing in WA needs a V’Landy a Dictator who won’t take any Prisoners from the 3 Codes Incompetant Management Practices .

Ive have sung Peter Vlandys praises for the outstanding job he did as CEO at Harold Park - annual million dollar CUB sponsorship for sires stakes racing in NSW -  het got 25000 spectators to a miracle mile - in at that tin pot at Glebe

Heaven help if a PV type CEO was appointed in charge of the WA Greyhounds - because if  that happened - then they would be relentless in getting their proper/fair share of stake distribution based on turnover - and the WA Trots which have been artificially been propped up - they have got much more than their turnover should get 

There is no excitement - coming from Radley and his crew who are in charge of WA Trots - and as ive mentioned several times - youve got to get a 950-1000 metre track ( like Albion Track ) that should  be the No 1 goal 

Why dont  they come out publicly - al;ah - we are doing a feasability study - re the land at GP - the whole lot - can we  redevelop the area - or whatever - with business opportunities  

And what pissses me off completely - is their no hard hitting trotting journalist in WA - who will grill Radley and his board - and the reason they wont is they are frightened that they will lose their jobs - weak as pisss

And i can tell you what is totally wrong  with GP as a  track in one race

Go to the last race - last Sat night at the big meeting at AP - Rickie Alchin horse at $7 won the race - they only ran 61 1st half - he sat back in 9th spot - came 3 wide from the 600 metres and beat them on their merits . McCarthys horse the even money fave from gate 1 -  led and ran 5th

You run that same race at GP - given the sectionals - and McCarthys horse  wins - or the 10 or 11  follow it on the inside   and beat it - and Rickie Alchins horse (which was clearly the best /most talented  horse in the race ) well it runs 5th or 6th . And that scenario at GP -  rinse and repeat - over and over again - thats why ive got no interest in it - and i love harness racing

A proper fair - 1st class track should be the no 1 priority - every other state has got it

• Rocket_ReignRocket_Reign    844 posts
    Markovina said:

Ive have sung Peter Vlandys praises for the outstanding job he did as CEO at Harold Park - annual million dollar CUB sponsorship for sires stakes racing in NSW -  het got 25000 spectators to a miracle mile - in at that tin pot at Glebe

Heaven help if a PV type CEO was appointed in charge of the WA Greyhounds - because if  that happened - then they would be relentless in getting their proper/fair share of stake distribution based on turnover - and the WA Trots which have been artificially been propped up - they have got much more than their turnover should get 

There is no excitement - coming from Radley and his crew who are in charge of WA Trots - and as ive mentioned several times - youve got to get a 950-1000 metre track ( like Albion Track ) that should  be the No 1 goal 

Why dont  they come out publicly - al;ah - we are doing a feasability study - re the land at GP - the whole lot - can we  redevelop the area - or whatever - with business opportunities  

And what pissses me off completely - is their no hard hitting trotting journalist in WA - who will grill Radley and his board - and the reason they wont is they are frightened that they will lose their jobs - weak as pisss

Go to the last race - last Sat night at the big meeting at AP - Rickie Alchin horse at $7 won the race - they only ran 61 1st half - he sat back in 9th spot - came 3 wide from the 600 metres and beat them on their merits . McCarthys horse the even money fave from gate 1 -  led and ran 5th

You run that same race at GP - given the sectionals - and McCarthys horse  wins - or the 10 or 11  follow it on the inside   and beat it - and Rickie Alchins horse (which was clearly the best /most talented  horse in the race ) well it runs 5th or 6th . And that scenario at GP -  rinse and repeat - over and over again - thats why ive got no interest in it - and i love harness racing

A proper fair - 1st class track should be the no 1 priority - every other state has got it

Gloucester park is the most exciting racing in Australia hands down so couldn’t disagree more about what you’re saying

KTQ likes this post.

Markovina said:

Gloucester park is the most exciting racing in Australia hands down so couldn’t disagree more about what you’re saying
    Absolute horse shiit - more like the most boring harness racing in Aust - with the exception of Menangle - i will grant you that 

Youve got your head in the sand if you think GP ( in its current format ) has got any future as a harness racing track - it is holding back harness racing tremendously in WA 
    Markovina said:

Markovina said:

Absolute horse shiit - more like the most boring harness racing in Aust - with the exception of Menangle - i will grant you that 

Youve got your head in the sand if you think GP ( in its current format ) has got any future as a harness racing track - it is holding back harness racing tremendously in WA 

Marko you’re obviously not on twitter, it’s often stated that GP is the best racing Aus wide by non locals maybe the difference is the age demographic between here and twitter?

Cant_Refuse, VillageKid, KTQ likes this post.

Rocket - if WA ever get a proper harness racing track ( and the product will just go through the roof ) enthusiasts/participants will be saying why didnt we leave that goat track  years ago 

As for comments on twitter - to borrow one of Mark  " Jacko " Jacksons phrases - i couldnt give a shiit 
    Markovina said:

Rocket - if WA ever get a proper harness racing track ( and the product will just go through the roof ) enthusiasts/participants will be saying why didnt we leave that goat track  years ago 

As for comments on twitter - to borrow one of Mark  " Jacko " Jacksons phrases - i couldnt give a shiit 

Think maybe it will be you who realises that GP wasn’t so bad after all, referring to twitter was merely because it’s average age is probably half of what it is on here and something which I think trots needs is the younger generation to start having an influence on the decisions.
    GP, get the odd race that is good competitive, but mostly its a whoever leads, walks, wins track. 

Markovina likes this post.

Betonme said:

GP, get the odd race that is good competitive, but mostly its a whoever leads, walks, wins track. 

Spot on - and 1000% accurate 
    Hey Rocket go and get Vespa ready I’m on him tonight.
    Tell SS to go to front and improve his position from there.
    Run your first half in 61 and sprint home,, exciting.
    Even more exciting sit 9th til the 600 then just come three wide and beat them on there merits.
    If he gets beat we can sell GP, kick Freo out of the AFL and all move to Gold Coast.

Rocket_Reign likes this post.

• KTQKTQ    319 posts
    Betonme said:

I have this theory that driving tactics are trends driven. If drivers started taking on leaders, perhaps at their own sacrifice even jn the short term, the trend on lead walk win would change. See any group 1 for reference. I guess who gives a shit when youre racing for peanuts; we'll just wait an extra week and hope for a better draw. Perhaps they should add handicapping rules to be handpicked based on last quarters and overall times run...?
    Markovina 25% of the Harness Racing Improvement Equation could potentially be G.P track
    size ? It would be interesting to see if statistics that show Pinjarra does have a higher percentage of winners from the back than G.P but then again you should be comparing it to Bunbury as well ? which then opens up another can of worms in regards to Track Geometry / Camber.
    G.P can never be sold FULL STOP the problem which makes no sense is a High Value Real Estate
    Asset giving you a poor return and this is to the detriment to Harness Racing but a similar thing can be
    as well said for all 3 Codes City Tracks possibly Country tracks as well .
    Government Departments should be taking Long Term Leases on the City Track properties and the Codes should be building New Buildings to their requirements no Brainer the days of Fat Revenue
    Cheque’s are long departed WA Racing as it is know can’t hold a candle to ES Wagering this
    revenue stream is forlorn and in reality is the Industries Poison Chalice.
    The Current Revenue Stream Policy is Flawed as it Stands for all 3 Codes I would say WA Racing
    is just a feeder stream as what the WAFL is to the AFL .
    Sure RWWA can keep decreasing Harness Payments and pump it to the Gallops but does anyone
    truely not believe that this band aid solution in the mid term will achieve nothing but the end of 1
    Code and extend another’s from Amateur Status for another 15-20 Years.
  • KTQKTQ    319 posts
    There was a Twitter thread about what got you into harness and most people said "we went to GP and Mount Eden won and it got me hooked" or similar (outside of the people like me who inherited the gene).

Some people think selling GP is the solution to all our woes. In my opinion, we need a face and GP provides that. $600k of marketing may help (but as someone with 13yrs of advertising experience, I sure hope they upgrade their previous marketing/media teams because from what I saw, their advertising was dismal, ill spent and a massive waste of money)
  • KTQKTQ    319 posts
    Also what other tracks does RWWA own? Do we own PJ, BY, ALB? Why not sell those tracks and move those tracks to cheaper land. ????

Cant_Refuse dislikes this post.

Rocket you’re correct in what you say a lot can be learned from experiences that Individuals like
    yourself see what works and what doesn’t in other jurisdictions in Management practices and
    Wagering / Revenue Concepts.
    What we did 20 years ago does at time does not relate to what we do know change is something that
    I believe we naturally defend ourselves against unless blatantly positive .
    Good to know you still keep an eye on us all!

Rocket_Reign likes this post.